Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

APT or SGPro for CCD Images

joecoyle

Hi

So, tonight was my first clear night in months. Got all set up. Went to use APT to capture images to polar align the mount, could see nothing. Just black. I don't know if it was APT playing up or if I was doing something wrong. The histogram showed data, so i moved the white / black points but still got nothing. Just grainy black. Annoys me that there is no auto stretch... Went back to the old faithful Nebulosity, and captured a preview. Stars were seen! So, seems that APT was having issues. Then the clouds rolled in. Another night bites the dust.

My question is: do people use APT or something else for CCD images? I've heard good things about SGPro, but not sure. I like the sequencing / filter wheel control offered by something like APT or SGPro rather than nebulosity.

What are people's thoughts?

Thanks

Joe

I've used it successfully too. I had it in LiveView so I'm guessing that sets the exposure automatically? To be honest the last time I used it it was October. I've probably forgotten something. 

I had thought about Artemis capture. I've just got hold of a Windows laptop so I've not installed it yet . I'm used to imaging on a Mac but took the plunge. Too many windows only pieces of software. 

Cheers

Joe

I really like SGP - I think it's an excellent programme. It does everything I need including plate solving to get me on target night after night, dithering, auto focusing, filter changes, captures, automatic meridian flips, target changes and more plate solves ................... For me it is one of the things that has revolutionised my imaging....... I can plan things the day before including mosaics and small areas of larger targets in the framing wizard, then SGO does all of the work from that point. 

It is a bit of a learning curve but for me it's been well worth it.

Yeah. It does look good. I'll have to try out the trial.

Plate solving is something I still haven't got to grips with. I've installed PlateSolve2 and that's as far as I get :) where do I go next?  and does it speed up the alignment process? 

Cheers

Joe

I agree with Sara, SGPro is well worth the effort of learning to understand it. Lots of features, ASCOM/EQMOD/OpenPHD integration as well as the additional Mosaic and Frame addon plus the including the excellent and fast platesolve2. Excellent value for money plus helpful and friendly developers.

I have never regretted trying SGPro and have not felt the need to move to something else.

Hi Joe, good to see you back imaging, I tried APT with CCD for the first time last night but couldn't figure it out, I've used it before with DSLR  so don't know what was up, probably just me, Artemis Capture is simplicity itself to use, you can be up and imaging in seconds, It's all I use on my old Win XP Pro laptop in the obs'y plus PHD1  for guiding.
Heard lot's of good stuff about SGP but loathe to start another learning curve, I was only trying other stuff because Maxim has started throwing a wobbly with the QSI683.

Dave

Hi Guys

APT has been my scope software of choice for some time now. I have one version of APT running displaying my Atik 314 ccd and another one running displaying my Lodestar both on screen at the same time. I`ve just updated to version 3.061 (I think it was) and looking forward to seeing how the autostretch works. Damn clouds have prevented observing for some months now. The plate solve within APT is the best I`ve tried too and I regularly get a solve in 3 secs and that is with using my Lodestar`s FOV, the Atik is connected to a spectroscope so can`t be used for solving. Just wish APT covered Nikon dslr`s but Ivo assures me that its on the cards for some future release.

Steve

A definite +1 for SGPRO from me. It integrates beautifully with PHD2 and a variety of platesolvers.

I never tire of watching it slew onto a target, plate solve and centre, autofocus and run through a sequence, autofocusing between frames as needed....and auto meridian flips are just a joy to behold.

The framing and mosaic wizard is also excellent and well worth the cash.

Another major plus is the very active forum and superb support from Ken and Jared - the authors.

Ok being Trying SGPRO now that I have a CCD camera and I love the program and all its features, I'm only on a trial at the moment and will be using the lite version for a month or so until I get use to CCD imaging, but it is a outstanding program that I will be buying just it was a little bit cheaper that's my only grip with it.

16 minutes ago, cardconvict said:

Ok being Trying SGPRO now that I have a CCD camera and I love the program and all its features, I'm only on a trial at the moment and will be using the lite version for a month or so until I get use to CCD imaging, but it is a outstanding program that I will be buying just it was a little bit cheaper that's my only grip with it.

Crikey, I use Maxim, because that's what I got when I started 10 years ago.  There wasn't much around.  Maxim costs several times as much as SGPRO and, as far as I can tell, doesn't add a lot extra.  SGPPRO is a great buy

• 1 year later...

I've just started using SGP and its a +++1 from me. I love that I can set up a target sequence during the day then just hook up and hit 'run sequence' and SGP does everything for me - slews to target, plate solves, centers, selects filters, auto focuses, captures subframes, etc. etc. For $99 what's not to like and the SGP forum is an excellent resource when you need specific help...

Good luck.

Archived