SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Achieving focus with ASI462CC

Friends,

I am struggling to understand why the camera view of my ASI462 on the laptop whilst trying to achieve focus using a Batinov mask on APT is extremely laggy (the image updates once every 15 seconds) rendering it impossible to achieve focus.

The laptop is new and powerful, the APT software is up to date (the camera might not be but should that matter?), and when I plug the camera directly into the laptop it gives me a view a live view without lag!

Please provide me with the obvious noob answer as it will help me get the desired focus for lunar and planetary imaging.

Unless there is another way that you can recommend?

Clear skies.

First, why are you using APT (I assume you mean the astrophotography managing suite) for (I assume) planetary imaging?

The exposure time for using an ASI462MC on planets should be milliseconds, so you definitely should not get any lag. 

I use an ASI462MC with Sharpcap. If you do likewise, you should not have any problems. 

48 minutes ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

First, why are you using APT (I assume you mean the astrophotography managing suite) for (I assume) planetary imaging?

The exposure time for using an ASI462MC on planets should be milliseconds, so you definitely should not get any lag. 

I use an ASI462MC with Sharpcap. If you do likewise, you should not have any problems. 

Right! I'll give that a go. I'm only using Astrophotography tool for the Batinov focusing aid as I used to use it for my DSLR before I got my ASI462. I'll try Sharpcap too to see if it is any easier or sorts the issues.

48 minutes ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

Right! I'll give that a go. I'm only using Astrophotography tool for the Batinov focusing aid as I used to use it for my DSLR before I got my ASI462. I'll try Sharpcap too to see if it is any easier or sorts the issues.