Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

1 minute ago, Mr Spock said:

Baader RDF for my 102mm.

Not impressed - out of the box the lens assembly was loose. I pushed the retainer back down the tube to secure it. Hopefully it will work - if not it will have to go back :angry2:

1710073105_DSC_0169_DxO1200.jpg.9b5c7c14ca156d40fcc68e04e60522a3.jpg

Bad luck! I’m not impressed by these either. The base on mine detached after a short while as it was poorly glued. Simple job with UHU to put right, but pretty poor from the Baader stable.

The Mark V is much better made, but a huge beast by comparison so not so good for small OTAs.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

Baader RDF for my 102mm.

Not impressed - out of the box the lens assembly was loose. I pushed the retainer back down the tube to secure it. Hopefully it will work - if not it will have to go back :angry2:

One of these suddenly stopped “clicking” off.  Just out of warrenty.  Anyway, not that they are that expensive but just wanted to advice to return it as long as its within warrenty.  

• Sad 2

A few things for the colder nights, away from home, arrived today. 

Found a deal on the boots, only in a size above my usual, but they fit. 
The runners gloves are an extra layer inside the North Face gloves I bought recently, which could be a little warmer. The cheap little stove is to renew a few I have already. Do still have a Coleman fuel stove which is best in the really cold weather so all bases covered. 

B19D048A-D9C2-434A-91CD-9F4C115831F4.jpeg

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Stardaze said:

A few things for the colder nights, away from home, arrived today. 

Found a deal on the boots, only in a size above my usual, but they fit. 
The runners gloves are an extra layer inside the North Face gloves I bought recently, which could be a little warmer. The cheap little stove is to renew a few I have already. Do still have a Coleman fuel stove which is best in the really cold weather so all bases covered. 

B19D048A-D9C2-434A-91CD-9F4C115831F4.jpeg

Crikey those are serious boots! All you need now are crampons and you can ascend the north face of the Malverns 👍🏻

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Crikey those are serious boots! All you need now are crampons and you can ascend the north face of the Malverns 👍🏻

I had a look at those you bought, but were out of stock everywhere. They were over half price at £50! Deal 🙂

Not sure I'll move much in them though, they're solid! 

Edited by Stardaze
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, IB20 said:

Currently covid positive so admiring this which turned up a few days ago instead of being outside. Looks splendid, can’t wait to give this a go with the 76DCU. January for once could be bearable!

7AA76A27-11E3-48D7-B99C-304067C5B7C1.jpeg

Sorry to hear that, hope the symptoms are mild. Nice ep, I will be trying the same combo once the clouds go away!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, IB20 said:

Currently covid positive so admiring this which turned up a few days ago instead of being outside. Looks splendid, can’t wait to give this a go with the 76DCU. January for once could be bearable!

7AA76A27-11E3-48D7-B99C-304067C5B7C1.jpeg

Great eyepiece! I owned a 7 and a 10mm a few years ago, wonderful optics, they just "get out of the way" and let you "see stuff". They barlow very well too👍.

Dave

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Stu said:

Sorry to hear that, hope the symptoms are mild. Nice ep, I will be trying the same combo once the clouds go away!

Thank you Stu, without wanting to cause any uproar on SGL I’m fully vaxxed and symptoms have become very mild after the initial 24-36 hours, no worse than a heavy cold. Very lucky really. 👍🏻 I am so looking forward to using this high-end combo at home and even taking it away. 

I spent New Years away in rural Suffolk, I’d forgotten what dark skies looked like. My New Years resolution is to go that extra mile to see those dark skies again.

20 minutes ago, IB20 said:

Thank you Stu, without wanting to cause any uproar on SGL I’m fully vaxxed and symptoms have become very mild after the initial 24-36 hours, no worse than a heavy cold. Very lucky really. 👍🏻 I am so looking forward to using this high-end combo at home and even taking it away. 

I spent New Years away in rural Suffolk, I’d forgotten what dark skies looked like. My New Years resolution is to go that extra mile to see those dark skies again.

Get well soon mate. Glad to know the symptoms are mild.

Good resolution too, my intention is to do the same, starting on Wednesday evening all being well.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

Not the postman , but me and my wife had a lovely trip  today to collect a 200p Skywatcher from @Captain Magenta

Many thanks Magnus .

The scope is in great condition 

received_643573136687121.jpeg

May it give you joy. I certainly enjoyed it. It looks good with the OO focuser actually! 2nd-hand 8” newt just has to be far and away the best-value scope to get these days.

Magnus

• Like 1

On 31/12/2021 at 12:51, Mr Spock said:

Baader RDF for my 102mm.

Problem with mine was the adjusters were stiff and awkward to turn especially the forward one, cured this with repeated operation and a tiny amount of PTFE spray.

On the plus side for me it’s small, lightweight, cheapish, easy to adjust once you’ve freed off the adjusters, red dot not over bright and a wide choice of attachment brackets. 

• Like 1

Making slow but steady progress on my mission to get back imaging again ! New arrivals this last week, a shiny new SW 130 PDS from FLO, a cheapy guidescope off Amazon and a nice ebay deal on a second hand ZWO ASI 290 mini guide camera.

Imaging camera next... time to get saving again.  🙂

IMG_7160.JPG

• Like 14

This stunner arrived today courtesy of RVO. Never thought I'd ever own one of these a beautiful zwo asi294mc pro but been saving up, so so excited eek! Was toying between the zwo 533 mc pro but the larger sensor swayed me. This will most likely be my last astro purchase for the year. So now I can say goodbye to Canon banding that's plagued me and look forward to better images hopefully as long as my baffoonly processing doesnt get in the way. I've had months of cloudy skies so this purchase will hopefully have the reverse effect. 

Also arrived this almanac book from amazon (ordered before the 294 mc pro, so still my last purchase) 

IMG_20220106_180752.jpg

IMG_20220106_184428.jpg

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 16

A 2XL fishing jilet from Decathlon with lots of zipped pockets to hold stuff without me having to open my coat in the cold. I plan to line some pockets with neoprene foam and maybe add use a heater to keep some things warm. Hopefully more use than the current “single bucket” I have with my current “bumbag”. 

Peter

PS no idea why I’m lying down in the picture, I did knackeR my back before xmas, but it’s fixed now.

8392CB44-D6A4-4BFF-86D8-FA717FAEFE70.jpeg

Edited by PeterW
Addition.
  • Like 5