Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

32 minutes ago, Dave1 said:

Well Fedex dropped this off to me earlier. I've finally got a mount I can use my 60mm refractor on. And start my project of making it GoTo.

IMG_20211221_134635.jpg

Very nice 👌 

But why have you attached a vacuum cleaner to the counterweights? 🤔

• Haha 13

1 hour ago, JeremyS said:

Very nice 👌 

But why have you attached a vacuum cleaner to the counterweights? 🤔

I thought if I added a hoover the added suction would help hold the tripod down :D 

Edited by Dave1
  • Haha 5

6 hours ago, StarryEyed said:

Astro Gadget EQStarEQ5 direct from Alexander. Resurrected and given a new lease of life to an old EQ5 that's been in the way for at least the last five years. 

PSX_20211222_111000.thumb.jpg.9e2ff92f4e16a71cdb6439630c2cdf52.jpg

How are you finding its performance? 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Dave1 said:

How are you finding its performance?

It arrived yesterday and I got a chance to use it last night.  Clear skies! Easy to install and the first alignment quirky as normal but after that and plate solving in NINA and syncing it went from three attempts to two then one on the gotos after four targets. The motors are smooth responsive the belts help, quiet maybe a high pitched whine. The tracking seems good but it can only be as good as my thirteen year old EQ5.

Alexander at Astro Gadget did an excellent job on postage and packing. 

Edited by StarryEyed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So, the postman didn't bring this, I did but I'm that excited with my tool box I felt the need to share my excitement with you lot 😂😂

Id been looking for a case for my side by side setup for what seemed like forever. I wanted something that would be big enough to house my small widefield setup (photo included here so you get the idea) without having to strip it down but because of the shape of it the only flight cases I could find were either oversized or custom made, both pretty expensive (£150 plus).

Luckily fellow SGL member @Ande was after a case as well & thanks to him my problem is solved. I'd been looking at flight cases which are not cheap regardless of size @Ande was sensibly looking at tool boxes & found the perfect one. During a sudden 'lightbulb moment' I realised (and I haven't a clue why I hadn't realised this a lot sooner 🙄) if I took off the Vixen bar that joins both 'scopes' together I wouldn't need an odd shaped case. It was definitely a case of the obvious solution staring me straight in the eyes & not seeing it 😒

I'm going to use the pictured toolbox for my camera/ Lens, Bahtinov Mask & cables then buy a smaller version of the same toolbox for my guide cam/ scope, filters & control unit for my mount (ES EXOS II PMC-EIGHT).  I'll be buying some puck & pluck foam for the inside of the box on Friday, so with the case costing only £29.99 (From Screwfix) & the cost of the smaller box (approx. £20) and the foam, I've saved a fair chunk of money. Big thanks to @Andefor this 🙂IMG_20210828_184113_869.thumb.jpg.01f656cde5ca2d7890d47ea8cb97fa04.jpgIMG_20211222_172236_961.thumb.jpg.da31ee6ec707a475173042f49122229f.jpgIMG_20211222_172345_123.thumb.jpg.785e4c85cab7c38e12d232d78b880b33.jpg

Edited by nephilim
  • Like 8

On 21/12/2021 at 12:04, Alan White said:

Postman Pete been a few minutes ago, good that its Astro realted,
sad its not the new boiler circuit board as still no heating and 3 weeks into frozen nether regions now.

Astro wise, regretted selling an EP that I liked a lot, so replaced with another.
Takahashi LE 5mm.

0AE487CF-7D85-438B-95F8-897A7D77B32A.thumb.jpeg.c9891f311711472706cceb0495bc5698.jpeg

Alan, sorry to hear of your boiler/heating woes..we had a leak in our external oil boiler 8 days ago and had no hot water for 5 days and nights..that was hard enough -  and we were able to shower while visiting family, so goodness knows how you're managing😱😭..

I hope you get some good news before Christmas!

And a lovely EP by the way👍

Dave

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Astro_Dad said:

Not attached yet - any tips welcome!

It's tempting to mount it with the knobs facing the e/p end of the scope so you can look though it and twiddle easier... but don't. It goes with the knobs towards the front. The reticle isn't visible if you put it on sdrawkcab.... as I found out when I got in touch with FLO about mine being "duff" - blush.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Takahashi TOE 4mm

Been waiting for one of these to come into stock for a few weeks. Up popped an in-stock notification from FLO at lunchtime yesterday, ordered within seconds, despatched early PM and just delivered. Just in time for Christmas. Thanks FLO 👍🏻
image.thumb.jpg.1c7fef68de651bda286759be538f3f1c.jpg

• Like 15

17 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Takahashi TOE 4mm

Been waiting for one of these to come into stock for a few weeks. Up popped an in-stock notification from FLO at lunchtime yesterday, ordered within seconds, despatched early PM and just delivered. Just in time for Christmas. Thanks FLO 👍🏻

Nice! Haven’t had much chance to use mine ☹️

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Takahashi TOE 4mm

You were faster on the draw Mr S, I too had that notification, but waited a short while.
Be interested how you find it, look forwards to afirst light report.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Alan White said:

No appology required, I think some of us are all keen to own the TOE as the HR are now history.

Indeed. I have a Vixen 3.4mm in a 2.5 and 4mm TOE sandwich! Tasty 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Another last minute pre Christmas treat arrived today along with some Christmas cards!- the Stellalyra 8-24mm lanthanum zoom eyepiece. Haven’t been able to find many reviews of this or it’s various clones but so far the build and design looks premium. Trust the lanthanum glass will provide good contrast, but as expected now I’m nicely equipped the next few days are not looking like the crisp clear nights I was hoping for during my festive break …so likely little chance to test drive the zoom …🙁

F2AF4281-53C1-48AD-8D3E-4B3E97470FD5.thumb.jpeg.745e5471376399ee0bfe2a07d71265bb.jpeg

• Like 9

2 hours ago, JeremyS said:

Takahashi TOE 4mm

Lovely looking eyepiece Jeremy, and with that nice knurled surface so easy to handle..

Dave :)

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, JeremyS said:

Takahashi TOE 4mm

@JeremyS You were lucky to be quick off the mark there, back to a 40-60 working day wait (10 weeks-ish) 🤣

• Like 3