Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

Arrived a day early, thanks Flo and Mr DPD driver!

Zwo asi294mc-pro, two dew heaters and a filter. More new toys to add to the list. Need to get the rig built back up for some imaging. We have had 4 days of perfect nights (baring the moon). The big box had the usual 'may contain clouds' sticker on it. This time the clouds must have escaped the box as tonight is cloudy :(

20220115_174857.thumb.jpg.edba0e66aff0fb8f42f569d8848b8f11.jpg

Edited by Chefgage
  • Like 8

…used to add belt loops to my (rather too big) milsurplus extreme cold “marshmallow man” trousers. Not a pretty mod, but in the dark no one will care or notice! Used to use braces to stop them falling down… no more!

PEter

68E66C49-9DBC-4724-924F-D0310E83A8D8.jpeg

• Like 6

On 13/01/2022 at 13:01, dannybgoode said:

Finally I can get my rig mobile (and speed up setting it up at home).

Found this natty 12v battery enclosure - well made and with a cigarette type outlet, 5v usb plug and a pair of terminals a) should you wish to have a 240v inverter say and b) to charge the battery via. 

Yes you can build similar with a 12v power panel and a suitable box but by the time you've bought all of that then the price is not much different (this box is £59.99). And all the cut outs and installation of the sockets etc is nice and neat.

As I now have a PowerBox it is just a single cable from the mount to the battery box so all nice and tidy. 

20220113_111407.jpg

20220113_111510.jpg

Just what I am after. Next purchase I think :)

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Stu said:

Nice mount Michael. Replacement for, or addition to the GP-DX?

Addition, I would say. I really like the GP-DX. I am thinking of setting up the GP-DX on a permanent setup at the Dark Sky Park in Lauwersoog, next to the pod of the Kapteyn Astronomical Institute. I have to get permission for that, but I think I can manage that. 

• Like 7

The postman brought my set of Luna Cognita from Wordery, unfortunately they only sent Volume One.

Originally I ordered the set from Amazon, upon delivery they too had only sent Volume One, I rang to report the issue and was emailed a return label and promised the whole set would be re-sent and delivered the next day. The following morning I returned Volume One in the knowledge that all three books would be delivered that afternoon. On schedule my package arrived but this time it contained only Volume Two 😂. Rang Amazon again and was told to keep Volume Two but they would give up on trying to fulfil the order and issue a refund.

Now hoping Wordery can correct their mistake and provide Volumes Two and Three for which I paid. If that happens I will then have two copies of Volume Two, why is everything so complicated? 🤔

• Confused 2
  • Sad 5

3 hours ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

So, a new scope and its accessories including this cheeky little alt az mount and a couple of EPs and of course the skywatcher tripod for the az-gti skymax 127 combo . Thank you Niall. Great to meet you . 

20220116_085806.jpg

Would be interested to see how you get on with the Omegon AZ Baby mount? I was after a second hand one for my Tak FS-60 but they don’t seem to come up that often so I ended up with a more costly Scopetech Zero. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jock1958 said:

Would be interested to see how you get on with the Omegon AZ Baby mount? I was after a second hand one for my Tak FS-60 but they don’t seem to come up that often so I ended up with a more costly Scopetech Zero. 

Hi Jock , will certainly put it through its paces .. I'm not even sure of the payload capacity ... a bit of homework needed on my part 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It has been months since I ordered a Baader mirror diagonal and with no end to my wait in sight I became frustrated and called my shop asking if they have any other high end diagonals, I was lucky. It isn’t the two inch I had ordered but my eyepieces are all 1.25 anyway and most importantly it is tangible. Unlike many astro parts which have fallen into myth in the last couple of years, a Televue Everbrite will do just fine in place of my old WO durabright with a small rattle in it. I’m sure the TV will be an optical improvement, I was so happy they had one I said what the heck give me an eyepiece too!.

54FBD360-5ACD-407C-96ED-E4A63AA3A5A5.jpeg

• Like 13

3 hours ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

Hi Jock , will certainly put it through its paces .. I'm not even sure of the payload capacity ... a bit of homework needed on my part 

I think it’s 4kg without counterweight or 6 with counterweight. The counterweight rod is quite hard to get though, I tried (and failed) a couple of times. It’s an unusual thread it’s a metric M12x1.5 I think. Normal M12s don’t quite fit.

• Like 1

On 15/01/2022 at 18:35, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Second installment of the Celestron CGEM mount 

IMG_20220115_192716.thumb.jpg.bcc9d9419bcdcf37b7a97ed262a0176d.jpg

IMG_20220115_192709.thumb.jpg.41b5c5d4297f892471af071bab295952.jpg

Now all that is needed are the counterweight and the handcontroller 

3.63 MB · 0 downloads

Ive been looking at getting a Celestron AVX mount for a wee while, but seen one of these advertised for £100 more, I take it its worth paying the wee bit extra for the CGEM?

5 hours ago, bf79 said:

Ive been looking at getting a Celestron AVX mount for a wee while, but seen one of these advertised for £100 more, I take it its worth paying the wee bit extra for the CGEM?

I cannot directly compare them, as I haven't used either of them (yet). What I do know is that the CGEM is a much heavier beast than the AVX. The latter is more in the Vixen Great Polaris or Sky-Watcher EQ-5 range, whereas the CGEM is heavier than the Vixen GP-DX mount. Its payload is close to the Sky-Watcher EQ-6. It depends very much on your needs (portability vs payload in particular) which is best for you. 

• Like 1

A handful of goodies this week. ZWO filter drawer and dew strap from RVO, sct adaptor from FLO and a very rare lump of unobtanium*  from Astoshop (germany).

* Actually an adaptor plate to mount my soon to be ordered EQ8R-pro onto my observatory pier. Impossible to buy in the UK despite all the big name retailers selling the mount as a 'head only' option. Only Altair Astro would sell one but there's no indication (and no replies to emails) as to when they might start stocking it again. As the package was well under £135 there was no duty or VAT to pay. Result!  (just needs 4 new holes drilling into the pier head).

Graeme 

IMG_6377.jpg

• Like 5

The Night Sky Observers' Guides for Autumn/Winter (Vol 1) and Spring/Summer (Vol 2).

These were unobtainable/out of print for a good while and used prices were and are silly (often asking £100-£200 per copy) via Fleabay and used Booksellers etc.

I recently discovered they are available, new and in stock, from the USA, ShopatSky.com ...(part of Sky & Telescope).

I was amazed and delighted to order them both on 12th January, and they were safely delivered, today 17th January, just one week after ordering,  by DHL!

Cost $91.90 (£70) for both, including shipping..no import taxes (I believe as they cost less than £135).

Am delighted..hours of reading for cloudy nights!👍😊

Dave

IMG_20220117_214525969.jpg

• Like 12