Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

1 hour ago, Captain Magenta said:

This just arrived. Anyone care to guess what it is? I certainly wouldn't have known had I not had a certain need and looked it up...

It’s clearly a device for attaching  one end of the rail to a female thread with a force that will stop it rotating and attaching something to the other end of the rail for some obscure and devious purpose. I simply can’t imagine what though! 

• Like 1

This it in action. I recently dropped my 6mm eyepiece onto paving, and slightly dented the filter ring so that filters obviously now won't fit. This tool doesn't seem to have a name as such, but could be described as a filter-ring repair tool, or perhaps a re-circulariser,or a dent-pusher-outer. You insert the round halves into the dented circle, and the threaded rod pushes the two halves apart. The other side has a larger diameter pair of curves. I haven't actually done it yet, just proved that it fits. Gently, gently and little by little I guess...

IMG_6404.thumb.jpg.6af9bfee9f49069b0b06b70e222f495e.jpg

IMG_6406.thumb.jpg.6579cb7b49d09b97c68324ef9723f119.jpg

Edited by Captain Magenta
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, Captain Magenta said:

This it in action. I recently dropped my 6mm eyepiece onto paving, and slightly dented the filter ring so that filters obviously now won't fit. This tool doesn't seem to have a name as such, but could be described as a filter-ring repair tool, or perhaps a re-circulariser,or a dent-pusher-outer. You insert the round halves into the dented circle, and the threaded rod pushes the two halves apart. The other side has a larger diameter pair of curves. I haven't actually done it yet, just proved that it fits. Gently, gently and little by little I guess...

IMG_6404.thumb.jpg.6af9bfee9f49069b0b06b70e222f495e.jpg

IMG_6406.thumb.jpg.6579cb7b49d09b97c68324ef9723f119.jpg

I have a Pentax zoom that could benefit from that 🙄

Helen

• Like 1

Just arrived - I have absolutely no need whatsoever for a 90mm Mak but I have a real thing for the ETX range and this will go nicely alongside my 125 OTA.  May just use it as a display piece - a poor mans Questar perhaps  

Next up - ETX80.......

maybe.....

image.jpg

• Like 4

6 hours ago, wormix said:

Just arrived - I have absolutely no need whatsoever for a 90mm Mak but I have a real thing for the ETX range and this will go nicely alongside my 125 OTA.  May just use it as a display piece - a poor mans Questar perhaps  

Next up - ETX80.......

maybe.....

image.jpg

Brings back memories the ETX90 great little scope. 
I wonder if mike weasners mighty ETX site is still going ? 

30 minutes ago, Danjc said:

Brings back memories the ETX90 great little scope. 
I wonder if mike weasners mighty ETX site is still going ? 

It’s not updated anymore, but it’s still there to browse through if needed. 

Hopefully won’t need any of the info on there for a while, as this version seems to be in excellent condition - barely used.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Yawning Angel said:

In my defence, it was already cloudy....

IMG_4422.JPG.5251480cdb065c690a5ec32b1bb2f2d7.JPG

IMG_4425.JPG.b8e6f936999b4d068597160c2bfb5936.JPG

IMG_4430.JPG.0117809fdfa92806430671d2f1146fe2.JPG

Sorting the cable runs out will keep me quiet for a while 🙂

Beautiful mount. One thing to note that the polemaster adapter does not hold the polemaster properly (at least was my experience). What resolved the issue for me was to not rely on the single thumb screw but to add the additional thumb screw and that fixed the issue for me. Hope this helps. 

4 hours ago, souls33k3r said:

Hope this helps. 

Thank you! It didn't feel fantastic when I fitted them together, so I nipped it down with the cross head. I'll dig a couple of hex bolts out and nail it down

Edited by Yawning Angel

2 hours ago, Yawning Angel said:

Thank you! It didn't feel fantastic when I fitted them together, so I nipped it down with the cross head. I'll dig a couple of hex bolts out and nail to down

No worries. You really don't need to bolt them down. Just finger tight will be just fine :)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JamesF said:

Dew heater for my 127 Mak:

dew-strap-01.jpg

Sadly I'm not organised enough this evening to try it out.

James

I like those James, I have one on my C8, 72ED and finder guider. Really nicely made and can be used without a controller.

• Like 1

Just now, knobby said:

I like those James, I have one on my C8, 72ED and finder guider. Really nicely made and can be used without a controller.

Yes, they do appear quite well-made and very reasonably-priced, too.  Sadly they didn't have any 30cm ones in stock.  I'd quite like one for a guide scope and another for a camera lens.  At some point I will have to bite the bullet and invest in longer ones, too -- for my C9.25, for example.

James