Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SGL 2024 Challenge 4 - Walking on the Moon

This is a re run of a challenge from last year which proved very popular.

Even experienced Lunar observers can still get goosebumps when they view the moon at high magnification.  It looks tantalisingly close, as if you could step onto the surface.  This challenge is to create this sensation in an image.  So we are looking for close up images of the lunar surface.  There are lots of distinctive features worth targeting and then there are curious  features created when the suns light hits the surface from a certain angle, the Lunar X being a classic.

If you have any queries about the challenge please contact me via PM rather than from within this thread.

Please provide information regarding how  you went about capturing your image including equipment used.

Start date 1st April 2024

End date 30th June 2024

No entries will be accepted after this date.

As previously the winner and runners up will receive an SGL challenge mug showing their image along with a virtual medal-of-honour for their SGL signature.

Please post entries directly into this thread

To keep the thread manageable for the judges please do not post comments about entries, emoji reactions are welcome of course.

--

RULES

All data must be captured and processed by you (no collaborative entries). 
Data must be captured during the challenge start & end dates. 
Multiple entries are allowed but please make a fresh post within the thread.
Multiple submissions of the same image, processed differently, will not be accepted.

• Like 3

• MartinB pinned this topic
  • 4 weeks later...

image.jpeg.be0a962084d0c75f0e193de9f00c909f.jpeg

This is the Gassendi crater and the Mare Humorum. Taken with my TAL 2M, ASI120MC-S ( 1 x 2 minute video using ASICAP ) and processed with PIPP, AutoStakkert and Registax with some tweaking in GIMP. I had hoped to use a 2x Barlow to get a more detailed view but the seeing was very "wobbly" and I didn't think that the image would be as good. I also like the composition of this one with the view of the whole Mare and the transition from bright sunlight at the top right to dark shadow at the bottom left.

• Like 2