Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

8 hours ago, Merlin66 said:

Very nice!

I have a Green version of the 63mm Zeiss Asiola, s/n 38265 (seems to be around 1958-1960?) A beautiful instrument.

It's very unusual and striking. If I can describe it as half a binocular attached to a can of tuna, what does the can of tuna do? How do you focus? Is there backfocus for a diagonal, or is it exclusively for straight-through viewing?

Edited by Ags
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Postie Petes been with my Oklop Eyepiece case, it’s ok

Trial fit out and things fit and are snug but accessibleA73072F1-7D02-43AE-BC2E-A45DE96B8321.thumb.jpeg.a5cf66b52a3a690df67c6365cd47a232.jpeg

Was thinking of trying one of these, but you haven't sold it to me...... you sound a bit 'meh' about it?

2 minutes ago, Nugs said:

Was thinking of trying one of these, but you haven't sold it to me...... you sound a bit 'meh' about it?

just discovered this post by chance 

mine arrived last week and im pleased. fits a lot of stuff. only the eaf focuser is a bit big and might need to place it at the front pocket but lots of compartiments and looks well padded for my usecase.
image.png.b402d7ccb37a08aedc737f162f3a0925.png

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Nugs said:

I am always a bit 'Meh' about new things, they need to be used to prove they work,
don't take my lack of enthisiasm as a review of the bag, its a nice case if you have a modest size EP collection, 
or if like me you wish to split them across some bags to fit in at home and in the care better.

I like bags over boxes, they play nicer in the car and if tapped on furniture or doors at home for one.

Oklop bags are well made and great value, had one on my f5 150 newt and it was a great bag, so I am sure it will be good once used.

Please see my other posting now its got things inside it as well.

Edited by Alan White
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Ags said:

It's very unusual and striking. If I can describe it as half a binocular attached to a can of tuna, what does the can of tuna do? How do you focus? Is there backfocus for a diagonal, or is it exclusively for straight-through viewing?

It houses a huge porro ii type prism for correcting image reversal- it’s a spotting scope really. A very nice one though. No there’s no extra back focus for a diagonal unfortunately so Zenith viewing is a pain- literally! Focus is v nicely machined (well it’s zeiss!) helical that the 0.956 eps push fit into. Ive got a nice selection of the original orthos which I’m hoping to try out tonight if there’s a gap in the clouds. It’s f6.6 so they apparently recommended max 42x but i’ll try my 6mm for a whopping 70x on the double double :)

Mark

EF7AB09A-91C4-4358-9F20-981571EE508B.jpeg

ED1EAD6C-E1BD-43F3-AE62-FEEB109C147A.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, markse68 said:

It houses a huge porro ii type prism for correcting image reversal- it’s a spotting scope really. A very nice one though. No there’s no extra back focus for a diagonal unfortunately so Zenith viewing is a pain- literally! Focus is v nicely machined (well it’s zeiss!) helical that the 0.956 eps push fit into. Ive got a nice selection of the original orthos which I’m hoping to try out tonight if there’s a gap in the clouds. It’s f6.6 so they apparently recommended max 42x but i’ll try my 6mm for a whopping 70x on the double double :)

Mark

EF7AB09A-91C4-4358-9F20-981571EE508B.jpeg

ED1EAD6C-E1BD-43F3-AE62-FEEB109C147A.jpeg

Fascinating looking telescope, must admit I’ve never seen anything like it and the condition looks excellent. I assume you turn the eyepiece holder to achieve focus? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jock1958 said:

Fascinating looking telescope, must admit I’ve never seen anything like it and the condition looks excellent. I assume you turn the eyepiece holder to achieve focus? 

Hi Jock, yes it has a knurled outer sleeve you turn and a helical focusing ep fitting. I meant to take photos as I had it apart last night cleaning an re-lubing it. The old grease had dried and the focussing was loose and not pleasant- it's now velvety smooth :)

Mark

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Highburymark said:

Picked up two perfect condition Leica HC Plan S microscope eyepieces for day and night binoviewing.  They have an outstanding reputation alongside the best Zeiss EPs,  so should be fun trying them out. First, though, must adapt the barrels to 1.25”.

862B788B-5669-4B71-AF91-09A89BD2A771.jpeg

Nice. What is the FL?

• Like 1

Arrived today, from @Mr Spock a rather nice 10mm Vixen NLV, thanks @Ags for saving me the bother of deciding between this one and the 9mm by buying that one  🙂

10mmnlv.jpg.c38a63500ced6bebfbca448859130650.jpg

I took the pic on that bookshelf next to the ammonite because on another thread someone speculated that I must have some interesting bits of geology , around the place, and this is one of my best !

Heather

• Like 8