NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

1 hour ago, callisto said:

Nice mount...but I'm more interested in that extra large drill bit behind 🤣

I think this is an indoor porcelain insulator from a bit of Reyrolle 132kv switchgear 1960s vintage.

its indoors because the insulator sheds are flat as they should not be getting wet.

In my experience they often did when the substation roof leaked. 😁

• Like 3

Everyone is sort of right but no one has it exactly. It's a massive insulator, but not from a pylon.

When I moved to Berlin there was a computer repair shop that had a few large insulators for sale. My partner and I both really wanted to get one as a room decoration (we're both weird like that) so we saved up the asking price of several hundred euros over many months. We even bought a trolley specifically for that purchase, but when we turned up to the shop he refused to sell us any of them, deciding they were too rare and no longer for sale even though we offered more money.

Anyway, years later we got friendly with a salvage yard and two (as above) turned up in there one day. The owner yet again did not want to sell them, but we eventually managed to convince him to part with one based on the fact that we had bought three very large, very old and very expensive neon letters (spelling ICH) from them a few months prior, which came from a once famous hotel in Germany (Heinrich Heine Hotel).

I do not know the exact place where the insulator came from, only that it was part of the 110kV side of the substation/switching station in a factory in Berlin, and the salvagers had to get in there and remove them by hand themselves prior to demolishing the building.

The date on it is 1980 as far as I can tell, there's also a logo which is a bit unclear, as well as the code VIFS110 1980.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, badhex said:

Everyone is sort of right but no one has it exactly. It's a massive insulator, but not from a pylon.

When I moved to Berlin there was a computer repair shop that had a few large insulators for sale. My partner and I both really wanted to get one as a room decoration (we're both weird like that) so we saved up the asking price of several hundred euros over many months. We even bought a trolley specifically for that purchase, but when we turned up to the shop he refused to sell us any of them, deciding they were too rare and no longer for sale even though we offered more money.

Anyway, years later we got friendly with a salvage yard and two (as above) turned up in there one day. The owner yet again did not want to sell them, but we eventually managed to convince him to part with one based on the fact that we had bought three very large, very old and very expensive neon letters (spelling ICH) from them a few months prior, which came from a once famous hotel in Germany (Heinrich Heine Hotel).

I do not know the exact place where the insulator came from, only that it was part of the 110kV side of the substation/switching station in a factory in Berlin, and the salvagers had to get in there and remove them by hand themselves prior to demolishing the building.

The date on it is 1980 as far as I can tell, there's also a logo which is a bit unclear, as well as the code VIFS110 1980.

Very cool...makes a great talking piece :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

Hello all. Been a very good boy these last few months with a complete lack of purchasing. 
However - fancied this kit for my Stellarvue 102frac. Already had Primaluce tube rings on my SW 150.  Think it’s quality kit. 
From FLO and Widescreen Centre. 
105 tube rings and Stellamira handle. Already had the Primaluce dovetail bar. Does nothing to look thru the scope but a bit of bling is good on the eye. 
John 

C6713D68-61DA-4D0E-9459-BE2B5A63B5F0.jpeg

45EF346A-391B-4CAB-AA66-EAE1F967D444.jpeg

D5DF4825-B6D4-4764-BE8F-8D68C928AD94.jpeg

9F676CCB-6BF7-43D5-8E5B-BBC12C09F49A.jpeg

• Like 11