Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

16 minutes ago, Tiny Clanger said:

Arrived today, from @Mr Spock a rather nice 10mm Vixen NLV, thanks @Ags for saving me the bother of deciding between this one and the 9mm by buying that oneΒ  πŸ™‚

10mmnlv.jpg.c38a63500ced6bebfbca448859130650.jpg

I took the pic on that bookshelf next to the ammonite because on another thread someone speculated that I must have some interesting bits of geology , around the place, and this is one of my best !

Heather

Β 

Ah, so this is to plug the gap between your 8mm and 12mm BSTs that you mentioned?

Nice ammonite. Age?

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Tiny Clanger said:

I took the pic on that bookshelf next to the ammonite because on another thread someone speculated that I must have some interesting bits of geology , around the place, and this is one of my best !

First time I have seen a prehistorical creature used for scale!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Zermelo said:

Ah, so this is to plug the gap between your 8mm and 12mm BSTs that you mentioned?

Yep, I was actually browsing 9 & 10mm possibilities, and had reached the conclusion that I didn't want to go for a new TMB clone (Β£40 ish) , and the only course to get something worthwhile was to wait for something nice to come up second hand, when Mr S. put the ad up.

Β 

24 minutes ago, Zermelo said:

Nice ammonite. Age?

Mine or the ammonite's ? :evil4:

It's a Hoploscaphites, from the very top of the Cretaceous, right up by the K-T boundary (which I'm supposed to call K-Pg boundary now, but fail)Β  just before the dino killer meteorite hit , so 70 million years or thereabouts.

I confess I didn't find it myself, it was a gift from a fellow geology nerd, a proper pro palaeontologist, a Canadian who was working in the states, it's from Dakota. Beautiful thing, it still has some iridescent nacreous shell on it !

Heather

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Ags said:

First time I have seen a prehistorical creature used for scale!

I have far smaller ammonites, and once found one the size of a wheelbarrow wheel (but didn't keep that one , it took 3 of us to carry it ... ) so , especially on here, I think it's more that the eyepiece is used for the scale of the prehistoric creature πŸ™‚

Heather

By the way, you thought theΒ  Vixens were Japan made ? That's what the sticker on the boxΒ  said πŸ™‚

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Ags said:

Looking forward to getting mine! Your NLV 10 looks brand newΒ πŸ˜€

It does indeed, all clean and shiny and obviously very well cared for . It has a classic look to my mind, somehow it reminds me of 1980's cameras, in a good way πŸ™‚ . I'm grateful you didn't want all three !

Heather

• Like 2

I do care for my eyepieces - they are my babiesΒ :tongue2:Β The 10mm was my most used eyepiece in the C9.25 - a perfect x235.

SLVs 6mm, 5mm and 4mm ordered from FLO. Awaiting stock so no pics. They will be x200, x240 and x300 in my 250mm NewtΒ :smile:

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, Zermelo said:

ah, a youngster

What?! When did that happen?

Yep, in geological terms, a youngster .

The single term Tertiary officially gave way to the twoΒ  Paleogene and Neogene periods as far as some official (officious? ) Commission was concerned about a decade ago, maybe the members all had shares in textbook publishers ? I'm happy with everything but MpH in metric, but it will always be K-T boundary to me, the brain can only take so much change ...

https://www.geolsoc.org.uk/Geoscientist/Archive/August-2010/Tertiary-to-do

Β 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

I do care for my eyepieces - they are my babiesΒ :tongue2:Β The 10mm was my most used eyepiece in the C9.25 - a perfect x235.

SLVs 6mm, 5mm and 4mm ordered from FLO. Awaiting stock so no pics. They will be x200, x240 and x300 in my 250mm NewtΒ :smile:

I promise to treat your (adopted) baby well πŸ™‚

I saw a tiny cloud gap earlier, and dashed out for a quick squint at the Moon with the grab & go 102mm /600 'frac and 10mm NLV,Β  I only had a handful of minutes before that gap closed up, and then there was an even briefer cloud free Auriga, so I got a few moment's look at M38 the Starfish Cluster before I had to accept defeat, but the NLV was easy to use, and gave a really nice crisp image and was parfocal with my BST 12mm which is a bonus. I look forward to giving it some proper use asap. πŸ™‚

Heather

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Tiny Clanger said:

Yep, in geological terms, a youngster .

The single term Tertiary officially gave way to the twoΒ  Paleogene and Neogene periods as far as some official (officious? ) Commission was concerned about a decade ago, maybe the members all had shares in textbook publishers ? I'm happy with everything but MpH in metric, but it will always be K-T boundary to me, the brain can only take so much change ...

https://www.geolsoc.org.uk/Geoscientist/Archive/August-2010/Tertiary-to-do

Β 

Well, I knew about Paleogene and Neogene, but I hadn't realized they'd done away with K-T.Β  I'm sure the palaeontologists are all looking taller than they used to, as well.

Edited by Zermelo
typo
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, johninderby said:

So that’s why it’s so cloudy today.

Yep, that's my fault. It was looking brighter earlier but now it's wall to wall cloud. Definitely a tough choice between doing some solar and photographing autumn leaves. Now I'll be doing neitherΒ :sad2:

• Sad 2

40 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

Yep, that's my fault. It was looking brighter earlier but now it's wall to wall cloud. Definitely a tough choice between doing some solar and photographing autumn leaves. Now I'll be doing neitherΒ :sad2:

Thanks for taking one for the team by keeping cloud cover at your end! Clear Outside shows green for tonight (how accurate that is, who knows), so I should be able to get first light with my telescope which arrived earlier this week 😊

I'll return the favour next week as I have a small order to make for some bits and bobs, so I'll order some cloud for down here.Β 

Screenshot_20211113-094121.thumb.png.17c78dd7c0d3a27d51033c5adefaed82.png

Edited by Richard_
Added image
  • Like 1

On 12/11/2021 at 18:42, Tiny Clanger said:

Heather

Β 

Hi Heather, I was thinking it would be good to have a nice lump of shiny coal mounted and standing on the book shelf. The way things are going it might become rare.

I was brought up in South Wales with an open coal fire and often send out to the coal shed fill up the scuttle. The stuff we got always looked bright and shiny. When the coal man came my mother used to send me out to count the sacks as they were brought in in case the coalman tried to cheat us.

I did a quick google to see if you could still get "raw" coal. I couldn't but there are still plenty of places offering large and small Welsh anthracite nuts.

Steve

Β 

Hello. Not the postman but a pick up made by me yesterday. Β Vixen GP and tripod, drives to both axis.Β 
Had one many years ago without motors that I sold on. Is pretty original. Just missing a cover to the RA motor ?? which I’d like to sort. Β Maybe other owners could suggest options on this. Other than that I’m a happy owner. Tripod is good but Β Looking at possible upgrades already.Β 
JohnΒ 

E8D85C94-4FC5-4A1C-8E6E-0DC3540D380A.jpeg

• Like 10

10 minutes ago, Telescope40 said:

Hello. Not the postman but a pick up made by me yesterday. Β Vixen GP and tripod, drives to both axis.Β 
Had one many years ago without motors that I sold on. Is pretty original. Just missing a cover to the RA motor ?? which I’d like to sort. Β Maybe other owners could suggest options on this. Other than that I’m a happy owner. Tripod is good but Β Looking at possible upgrades already.Β 
JohnΒ 

E8D85C94-4FC5-4A1C-8E6E-0DC3540D380A.jpeg

Very nice. πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»

Ahem…..😁😁😁

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/berlebach-tripods.html

• Like 2
  • Haha 1