Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

The postie was especially welcome today:

post.jpg.92ea9629a819f0cc1afba531cf4c934b.jpg

Sky-Watcher autofocuser for the Newtonian, Mak-SCT adapter and Baader SCT 2" visual back for the Skymax (and I hope a 2" diagonal will be arriving tomorrow).

I fear that a feedback loop has now been firmly established:
cloudy weather > no observing > spend time buying kit instead > more cloudy weather ....

• Like 10
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Zermelo said:

The postie was especially welcome today:

post.jpg.92ea9629a819f0cc1afba531cf4c934b.jpg

Sky-Watcher autofocuser for the Newtonian, Mak-SCT adapter and Baader SCT 2" visual back for the Skymax (and I hope a 2" diagonal will be arriving tomorrow).

I fear that a feedback loop has now been firmly established:
cloudy weather > no observing > spend time buying kit instead > more cloudy weather ....

I'll put my scope away now :clouds1:  🤣

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Andy ES said:

Why is this divisive? , it’s just that I’ve got one.🤔

There's a few things that apparently aren't ideal, such as the USB ports not working whilst powering a mount, as well as the cover for the ports breaking off quite easily - understandably a few people are irritated with that given the reasonably high price. That said, I preferred to have the more stable battery tech option, so I still wanted the Celestron despite any potential annoyances. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, badhex said:

There's a few things that apparently aren't ideal, such as the USB ports not working whilst powering a mount, as well as the cover for the ports breaking off quite easily - understandably a few people are irritated with that given the reasonably high price. That said, I preferred to have the more stable battery tech option, so I still wanted the Celestron despite any potential annoyances. 

Thanks

USB while powering mount is not an issue - I always have a couple of fully power banks with me.

If cover breaks off? There will be easy fixes before the covers get lost.

Agreed, at the price pint, you would want better, but next version may take these criticisms into account.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, badhex said:

the cover for the ports breaking off quite easily

Yes this has happened, but it still stays in place when you push it back on when you have finished with the battery.

I think it’s not obvious that you have to lift it a bit then spin it around rather than bend it back all the way, it just closes again if you do that (or breaks off) 😬

I would still recommend it though as allegedly you don’t have to maintenance charge it.  

• Like 1

A green and black hand grenade was waiting for me when I got home today, courtesy of @Sirius Bizness, along with a Contrast Booster filter for my Bresser AR102, from FLO.

Had a quick peer at the moon through the clouds with the Panoptic, very nice, will look forward to a better use in the future there's some stars in view...

20211117_143541.thumb.jpg.faa1c9489c3856c5c215d1e2807f57c5.jpg

• Like 16

15 hours ago, iapa said:

Thanks

USB while powering mount is not an issue - I always have a couple of fully power banks with me.

If cover breaks off? There will be easy fixes before the covers get lost.

Agreed, at the price pint, you would want better, but next version may take these criticisms into account.

Yes, I think if the battery itself works as intended then it's still worth it. 

14 hours ago, Andy ES said:

Yes this has happened, but it still stays in place when you push it back on when you have finished with the battery.

I think it’s not obvious that you have to lift it a bit then spin it around rather than bend it back all the way, it just closes again if you do that (or breaks off) 😬

I would still recommend it though as allegedly you don’t have to maintenance charge it.  

The stable battery tech is the main draw, especially as it is significantly safer and by many accounts also has a lower environmental and human impact than some other batteries.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dave scutt said:

Nice postman just brought me this thanks to callisto it survived the trip across the sea20211118_104554.thumb.jpg.c06e1f5bbbae201b3e9038e4b2ad769d.jpg20211118_104738.thumb.jpg.19701a39ce8ec4966e862d8ea3d6058d.jpg20211118_104923.thumb.jpg.51112f7490007e33068117a5d1aaf350.jpg

I used to have one of those under the Bresser branding. Nice refractor - real "big" refractor feel to it :icon_biggrin:

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, badhex said:

Is this what Bresser would call the AR-152L or is it the AR-102L?

It's the ARC127, Opticstar's version of the Bresser AR-127L/ 1200  (but without the Hex Focuser) :thumbsup:

Mark

Edited by callisto
change wording
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Last week I received a ZWO EAF courtesy of RVO which has since been attached to my Zenithstar 73 meaning I can now finish setting up the warm room in my observatory instead of having to focus at the scope. 

Today I received an 'opened the box but never used' Polemaster from an Ebay seller. Tested and works fine but I have to wait for an AVX adaptor coming in the next day or 2 before I can use it.  This is replacing the iPolar I've had since the start of the year - for some reason it's lost compatibility with Windows 10 and no longer connects to the iPolar software even though it starts up ok in device manager. If iOptron come up with a fix I'll most likely put it on the for sale section. Till then it'll make a lovely paperweight.

Graeme

• Like 3

4 hours ago, neil phillips said:

Neither i dont think. it says on the box 127. F9.5 if so its what i just posted on lunar imaging

4 hours ago, callisto said:

It's the ARC127, Opticstar's version of the Bresser AR-127L/ 1200  (but without the Hex Focuser) :thumbsup:

4 hours ago, Dave scutt said:

It's exactly the same one Mark described 😁

So it is! Silly me. I hadn't noticed the 127 on the box, but actually I was thinking of the 127 anyway but typed 102 - not sure if Bresser even has a 102.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Came today my new lighter go between (when not using my 10" Newtonian ) will check collimation in the daytime, but with a flashlight down the tube, the little black dot looked central. Will check more thoroughly soon

8"CC

257619893_1048603645977460_2858088098673320725_n.jpg

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, neil phillips said:

Came today my new lighter go between (when not using my 10" Newtonian ) will check collimation in the daytime, but with a flashlight down the tube, the little black dot looked central. Will check more thoroughly soon

8"CC

257619893_1048603645977460_2858088098673320725_n.jpg

Very nice Neil 👍

I've got the T/S version...love it 😊

Enjoy,

Mark.

• Like 1