Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

20 minutes ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

Im expecting a 3D printed Moon light.

Crikey, Paul: the real Moon causes enough light pollution, washing out faint objects. Do you really want to be reminded of it inside? ?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Alien 13 said:

Go for it, you know you want too. I got mine lit up in England colours ready for the footie later.

Alan

I really do want to. Not sure just yet about spending 2-3K. I would only want a basic model for browsing and general every day non heavy use.

Suggestions

Edited by LukeSkywatcher

8 minutes ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

I really do want to. Not sure just yet about spending 2-3K. I would only want a basic model for browsing and general every day non heavy use.

Suggestions

I have a Asus ROG and a friend has just picked up a HP Omen. Both are excellent, but like all laptops in this class are heavy, unwieldy, but they are generally worth having if your doing intensive stuff like vide encoding, processor heavy tasks, or gaming. If your not doing that kind of stuff a business class laptop makes more sense, and will be just as well / better built. The only reason I ended up with a gaming laptop is that it came up cheap (ish) on ebay. I needed a laptop with plenty of storage, and the power to process 4K video. Storage on this can be 3 HDs in RAID, but I am using an SSD for programs, 2TB HD for video / photo and a bluray writer for backup. Processor is an i7, dedicated graphics card, and 8gb of RAM (might increase that up to 16 if I can be bothered), its a 17inch model, so big, heavy, bad battery, but unlike a lot of smaller models its not thermally throttled if your try and use its power. If I was looking again I would probably get a refurb from somebody like laptops direct, and really check the guarantee carefully, quiet a few gaming laptops suffered with failing GPUs, I used to offer a reflow service using works vacuum ovens, some worked for a while afterwards, most died eventually.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, geordie85 said:

The hermes guy just delivered this to me. It's a nebula red alienware m17x r2. 

Now I just need to go through and download all the drivers and software needed for astro imaging (which is actually alot more than I though since I downloaded everything as and when I needed it on my old laptop).

I bought it off ebay for £430 and it sounds like there may be something wrong with the fans. They're making a rather loud clicking/ buzzing noise.

DSC_2123.JPG

"Nebular Red" 

You've gotta love those marketing people. :D

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

No cardboard boxes today for me. Im expecting a 3D printed Moon light.

Something like this:

716zTKzbd0L._SY355_.jpg

Just had a look on youtube vids of these...Wow!! A thing of beauty. Adding to my Santa list as I type :)

Do they do any of the planets? I'd love a Mars one !

Edited by AndyH

On 15/06/2018 at 20:12, LukeSkywatcher said:

Not sure why i'm so excited about a 102 mm scope when i own a 130 mm mini Dob and a 200 mm Go-To SCT. Guess i'm old school. Its not all about aperture...........its about the view.Hell, i don't even know what ED glass is, but i know i've always wanted an ED scope.

100mm makes for a very portable setup. I already have scopes up to a 10 inch LX200 but of which are all far to unwieldy for me to enjoy Nowadays. My 100mm will bring back my enjoyment.

1 hour ago, Ama Noody said:

"Nebular Red" 

You've gotta love those marketing people. :D

Nebula red with an alien head instead of a horse head.

26 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

It’s bigger in real life ?

3E435F38-04E5-4223-997E-FC1A810E4D25.jpeg

A great camera and I regret selling mine.

• Haha 1

Also... a little something CMOS for some OSC live view gratification (to keep the visiting spectators happy). A full frame CCD setup will come in a couple of months to give that Tak wide-field something to do.

20180618_221501.thumb.jpg.32ce0ce01f425e294cbebf1a9a96b0dc.jpg

Edited by Ama Noody
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

No cardboard boxes today for me. Im expecting a 3D printed Moon light.

Something like this:

716zTKzbd0L._SY355_.jpg

Wow! That's really cool! I quite fancy that myself. There is even a levitating version. 

On 15 June 2018 at 22:23, LukeSkywatcher said:

Have a Continuum filter. Ill let you all know how it performs day and night (the scope......not the continuum). 

Hope it's a success! Don't let others' opinions burst your bubble. Misery loves company. 

This morning I received one of these from the Postman...

477285146_ScreenShot2018-06-19at17_06_57.png.a5493b9d5ccaa088d6aa6fe94033cb76.png

But this afternoon I received this...

To: DRT
Subject: APM Doublet ED Apo 152 f/7.9

Hi Derek,

we shipped just now the telescope. 

Freundliche Grüße/Best Regards

APM-Telescopes

How exciting! :grin: 

Edited by DRT
  • Like 7

1 minute ago, Davey-T said:

Be interested to see how similar it is physically to the AA152mm.

Dave

Me too, Dave. I am expecting a similarly solid construction, just quite a bit longer and heavier :wink: 

• Like 1