Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

15 hours ago, John said:

I'll be interested to hear what you think as well Derek :icon_biggrin:

I used to own one of the Japanese Widescan III's  that these are based on:

unitron-widescan30.jpg

First impression is a bit of a thumbs down for use with the wedge and Evo150. The massive eye lens causes lots of reflection and eye placement is difficult. The eye relief is also tighter than I expected. Will try it at night before writing it off but I’ll be needing something else for white light solar. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DRT said:

First impression is a bit of a thumbs down for use with the wedge and Evo150. The massive eye lens causes lots of reflection and eye placement is difficult. The eye relief is also tighter than I expected. Will try it at night before writing it off but I’ll be needing something else for white light solar. 

That’s a shame Derek. I rarely, if ever use 2” eyepieces for solar, I tend to favour 1.25” simple designs like orthos or Plossls over even the 24mm Panoptic.

Will be interesting to see how it performs for astro.

5 minutes ago, Stu said:

That’s a shame Derek. I rarely, if ever use 2” eyepieces for solar, I tend to favour 1.25” simple designs like orthos or Plossls over even the 24mm Panoptic.

Will be interesting to see how it performs for astro.

I’ve just found that the TV 32mm Plossl does what I need it to do, Stu. It’s normally stuck in the Quark so I didn’t really consider it for this until now. Maybe I should just buy another one of these?

On 09/06/2018 at 10:52, Dave1 said:

Well look what I went and collected from the post office today! Very excited to receive this. Brandon 12mm Flattop. 

IMG_20180609_104429643.jpg

Welcome to the Brandon Club! Only a few of us on SGL.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, John said:

I'll be interested to hear what you think as well Derek :icon_biggrin:

I used to own one of the Japanese Widescan III's  that these are based on:

unitron-widescan30.jpg

Yes, I had the Moonfish version a few years ago chaps?.

It wasn't a bad eyepiece for astronomy and gave me my first uber widefield views.

There was also an interesting clone 20mm version which was taller and had a detachable bottom section which turned it into a 30mm eyepiece, so you got two eyepieces in one..Neat??. See images below.. the 2nd image shows the Opticstar branded 20 and 30mm versions to the right of the image..Never tried those though.

The ones I had were certainly worth £45 of anyone's money IMO,?.

Dave

moonfish-30mm-eyepiece-80-degree_360_123a97adb892cda7904572ac814ce6a3.jpg

AscUwaSet-01-594x331.jpg

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, 25585 said:

My 60th birthday present to myself

I thought you had a few of those already, 25885? ?

Judging by the outline of the boxes, it's something with a funnel. A steam locomotive or a ship, perhaps?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 10/06/2018 at 18:33, 25585 said:

Welcome to the Brandon Club! Only a few of us on SGL.

I've been a member of the Brandon club for quite some while. It's my second Brandon, my first Brandon was the 8mm flat top. Which put up the best views of the moon I have ever seen. The 8mm has done just as good on the planets. :)

I have high expectations for the 12mm Brandon on the Planets. 

Edited by Dave1
  • Like 1

On 10/06/2018 at 16:09, Stu said:

I tend to favour 1.25” simple designs like orthos or Plossls over even the 24mm Panoptic.

I must admit that I have recurrent thoughts about replacing my 24 Pan with a 32 Plossl for similar reasons. 32mm is also more distant from 21mm (the longest f.l. of my nikon zoom)... thoughts thoughts thoughts... 

31 minutes ago, Piero said:

I must admit that I have recurrent thoughts about replacing my 24 Pan with a 32 Plossl for similar reasons. 32mm is also more distant from 21mm (the longest f.l. of my nikon zoom)... thoughts thoughts thoughts... 

Just add a Plossl.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Dave1 said:

I've been a member of the Brandon club for quite some while. It's my second Brandon, my first Brandon was the 8mm flat top. Which put up the best views of the moon I have ever seen. The 8mm has done just as good on the planets. :)

I have high expectations for the 12mm Brandon on the Planets. 

I have a 48mm as does @Saganite . The Brandon is unlike any other ep I own.

Edited by 25585
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Piero said:

Keep the Pan and buy the Plossl! :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have a box in the car containing a new (to me) set of Williams Optics Binoviewers and a pair of Skywatcher LET 20mm eyepieces.  Cannot wait to get home tonight and have a go with them (weather permitting).  After reading a number of binoviewing threads on here, it seems that once you try them you cannot go back!  Although parts of me hope you can, otherwise it will be an expensive business buying a second set of eyepieces to match the ones I already have.

Also have a copy of the 21st Century Lunar Atlas on it's way to me along with a Telrad finder - I have given up trying to use the RDF which came with my Mak.  Maybe it is me being a noob, but I seem to spend far too long trying to align the scope (it is a goto) rather than actually observing anything.  I am hoping the Telrad will speed things up for me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 1CM69 said:

Just arrived from the laser cutter, a new tool (gadget) to try out Tri-Bahtinov mask.

IMG_1120.JPG.be529a6938ae40bcc6c30e336c744504.JPGIMG_1124.JPG.2090dd55b4a3cefefdf8c3e16bfbcd62.JPG

found out about these from this thread on CN: https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/536410-a-tri-bahtinov-mask-for-sct-collimation-and-focusing/ & thought it was worth a try.

Looking forward to a report on these - I really struggle to nail the collimation on my C11!

Helen