SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

Woohoo... More cardboard boxes. 

Scope looks and feels brilliant. Its a hefty little guy. Diag and finder are naff (wont be using those.........never have used either a RDF or finder).  26mm superwide EP seems at a glance to be pretty good (60 degrees FOV and almost 20mm eye relief). The two adapters i am not sure what they are for, but one of them (if not both) have a T-thread, so thats for attaching camera to scope.

Not liking the red stripe around scope. I thought it was painted on but its only sticky tape. I might remove it and put Skywatcher green on to match my AZ5 mount. R&P focuser is smooth as a babies behind. The dust cap is great. It fits really snug and doesnt drop off if you look at it the wrong way (dont you hate that).

Nice little carry bag and dovetail can be used as a handle. Great for me as a wheelchair user. I'd HATE to drop this baby.

DSC_0232.JPG

DSC_0233.JPG

DSC_0234.JPG

DSC_0235.JPG

DSC_0236.JPG

DSC_0237.JPG

Edited by LukeSkywatcher
  • Like 5

Not sure why i'm so excited about a 102 mm scope when i own a 130 mm mini Dob and a 200 mm Go-To SCT. Guess i'm old school. Its not all about aperture...........its about the view.Hell, i don't even know what ED glass is, but i know i've always wanted an ED scope.

Seriously thinking of selling the 8se on the Irish market (for collection only).

Downsizing my house was the best thing i ever did, so why shouldnt the same rule apply to scopes.

Still have my Heritage 130P (that's a keeper), and my 90 mm (1000 mm FL) refrac may get resurrected. The AZ5 could be a good way to go for the 90 mm. I'll have to try it. Love that scope. Its an absolute planet killer (amazing views of planets).

Been observing for nearly 40 yrs...............

I think ive just come of age (astro wise). 

Im now sure, that like many others...............im a refrac (and bins) kind of person.

This is one of the many things i love about SGL: (ok 3 things)

Fountain of knowledge, honesty and nobody is above anyone else. I now feel like i have a quality scope/tripod/mount at a very good price (about 600 euros). My 1st scope, 90mm EQ back in 2007 cost me about 450 euros. 

Edited by LukeSkywatcher
  • Like 2

When I bought the scope, it said Moon map included. Instead I got a little planisphere about yay big. I think it works off of Hours,mins and degrees and declination etc........so i aint got a clue how to use it.

DSC_0238.JPG

Edited by LukeSkywatcher

1 hour ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

its about the view.Hell, i don't even know what ED glass is, but i know i've always wanted an ED scope.

I'm a bit worried you're expecting ED glass performance, Paul, you might want to read the optical test below in order to manage expectation for general night time observing at least. 

http://interferometrie.blogspot.com/

I personally think they should have made it around f/7, then I'm sure it would have been roughly semi apo at a great price.

Edited by Lockie

5 minutes ago, Lockie said:

I'm a bit worried you're expecting ED glass performance, Paul? I'm sure it will be great for solar, but you might want to read the optical test below in order to manage expectation for general night time observing. 

I personally think they should have made it around f/7, then I'm sure it would have been roughly semi apo at a great price.

Not expecting anything really. Simply because i am not technically minded. I just read so much about ED glass and scopes.......it has to be a good thing. The scope will be mainly for Ha.

13 minutes ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

Not expecting anything really. Simply because i am not technically minded. I just read so much about ED glass and scopes.......it has to be a good thing. The scope will be mainly for Ha.

My fingers are crossed for you getting a particular good example, Paul. The optical test I linked suggests that an ST80 achro would be a better choice. I've just fully re-read the test and they say they struggled to achieve any kind of focus! I'm not even convinced that it will be ok for H-alpha, the test says not. I don't mean to be negative but I really don't want you to think that just because it says ED in the specs that it's a typical ED scope. I really rate Bresser, but have no idea what they were playing at with this scope? anyway, like I said, I really hope yours is much better than the test sample, Paul. Fingers crossed for you.   

There is no denying that it's a lovely looking scope though, and I hope you prove the optical test wrong :) 

Edited by Lockie
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Lockie said:

I'm a bit worried you're expecting ED glass performance, Paul? I'm sure it will be great for solar, but you might want to read the optical test below in order to manage expectation for general night time observing. 

Doesn’t make good reading really does it Chris? Not surprising really I guess, it’s still a low cost, very fast achro and it is stuff like spherical abberation which kills the detail at higher powers.

It remains to be seen how well it performs in Ha and for white light solar. I reckon a continuum filter will be needed to tighten things up enough to be decent ish in WL.

20 hours ago, Stu said:

Doesn’t make good reading really does it Chris? Not surprising really I guess, it’s still a low cost, very fast achro and it is stuff like spherical abberation which kills the detail at higher powers.

It remains to be seen how well it performs in Ha and for white light solar. I reckon a continuum filter will be needed to tighten things up enough to be decent ish in WL.

Have a Continuum filter. Ill let you all know how it performs day and night (the scope......not the continuum). 

Edited by LukeSkywatcher
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

No it really doesn't does it, Stu. I very much look forward to hearing how Paul gets on with it, and hope the report is a sample from the wrong end of the bell curve so to speak. He can always send it back, and should if it's not fit for purpose, then we can help him out with which scope he should re-invest the dosh in. Lets hope it doesn't come to that though.

• Like 1

Just now, LukeSkywatcher said:

Have a Continuum filter. Ill let you all know how it performs day and night. 

That's great Paul. I was very interested in this scope as well until I read this report, so will be very keen to hear your thoughts.

The hermes guy just delivered this to me. It's a nebula red alienware m17x r2. 

Now I just need to go through and download all the drivers and software needed for astro imaging (which is actually alot more than I though since I downloaded everything as and when I needed it on my old laptop).

I bought it off ebay for £430 and it sounds like there may be something wrong with the fans. They're making a rather loud clicking/ buzzing noise.

DSC_2122.JPG

DSC_2123.JPG

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, geordie85 said:

Now I just need to go through and download all the drivers and software needed for astro imaging (which is actually alot more than I though since I downloaded everything as and when I needed it on my old laptop).

I bought it off ebay for £430 and it sounds like there may be something wrong with the fans. They're making a rather loud clicking/ buzzing noise.

DSC_2122.JPG

DSC_2123.JPG

The full workshop manuals for Alienware laptops are usually freely available off the Dell website should you want to take it apart, might just need a blow out though through the exhaust ports.

Alan

41 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

The full workshop manuals for Alienware laptops are usually freely available off the Dell website should you want to take it apart, might just need a blow out though through the exhaust ports.

Alan

Thanks. I took the bottom off and gave the fans a good blowing, when I powered it back up it was fine, then I put it back on the arm of the sofa and it made the noise again. 

I guess it was just catching due to it not sitting flat. I must say I'm very impressed so far and I haven't even started using it for astrophotography yet. Still busy downloading drivers and programmes 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, geordie85 said:

DSC_2122.JPG

DSC_2123.JPG

An Alienware Lappy is next on my list.

• Like 2