NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

I too used a 3.7 SX as in theory it made an ideal highest power eyepiece in a few of the fracs I owned at the time. In practise I didn’t get on with the eye relief and actually found 110 degrees too much. I couldn’t take it all in, and more often than not found myself seeing more of my eyelashes than the stars!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, DRT said:

Thanks, Neil. I'm in two minds where to go on the high mag end of this lot as both Lunt and Pentax have 5mm and 3.5mm in those ranges. I think I need to use all of my legendary willpower to avoid jumping in before testing the ones I've just bought :rolleyes: :lol:

You can barlow the 7 to get 3.5. ?

14 minutes ago, 25585 said:

You can barlow the 7 to get 3.5. ?

I don’t like Barlows and I’m more likely to need the 5mm. If I decide I need one I’ll likely be buying the XW5. 

• Like 1

On 05/06/2018 at 21:21, iPeace said:

I probably don't really need the 3.5 XW for the newt - 342x is a lot for my skies. But it completes the XW Short Set and I thought: what the Herschel... :grin:

Well, it will certainly be a "tall" order to beat that set..in performance terms, it really seems to "stack up" though ?..

In the " long" term you should enjoy the set very much..

So, the "long and short" of it all is...don't tell Steve (Saganite) though - if he ends up shaving 55mm off his Tak tube for binoviewing, and tries to Barlow an XW 3.5mm, his eyepiece set up could be longer than his scope tube, and his balance could be shot unless he uses at least 4 tube rings to hold it in place??.

Dave

• Haha 5

49 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

Well, it will certainly be a "tall" order to beat that set..in performance terms, it really seems to "stack up" though ?..

In the " long" term you should enjoy the set very much..

So, the "long and short" of it all is...don't tell Steve (Saganite) though - if he ends up shaving 55mm off his Tak tube for binoviewing, and tries to Barlow an XW 3.5mm, his eyepiece set up could be longer than his scope tube, and his balance could be shot unless he uses at least 4 tube rings to hold it in place??.

Dave

Priceless Dave. ?

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, DRT said:

This arrived today from eBay - an APM UW 80º 2" 30mm to provide low power as part of the set I posted about yesterday...

IMG_1035.jpg.7bb4234a1197c8ec1d54f4cbfd6741c6.jpg

I’ll be very interested to hear how to get on with this! I want something around this focal length. Do you mind sharing what you paid for it? I won’t be offended if you don’t :)

Following a drive from Poole to South Mimms Services on the M25 I'm now in possession of a new to me but mint condition Celestron Omni XLT 102ED courtesy of @Saganite.

Here is a shot of the scope set up on my EZTouch mount and waiting for light levels to drop and for Jupiter to appear.

I know that this is very similar to the Starwave f11 that I picked up earlier in the week but the tube length is much more portable and so this is likely to become my portable setup.

20180609_195310.jpg

• Like 13

5 minutes ago, AdeKing said:

Following a drive from Poole to South Mimms Services on the M25 I'm now in possession of a new to me but mint condition Celestron Omni XLT 102ED courtesy of @Saganite.

Here is a shot of the scope set up on my EZTouch mount and waiting for light levels to drop and for Jupiter to appear.

I know that this is very similar to the Starwave f11 that I picked up earlier in the week but the tube length is much more portable and so this is likely to become my portable setup.

20180609_195310.jpg

Lovely scope Ade, really nice design and I bet it performs well too. If I didn’t have my scope that must not be mentioned, I would have been very tempted. Look forward to hearing about first light.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, AdeKing said:

20180609_195310.jpg

That's a bit of a collection you're building up there Ade :)

Dave

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Davey-T said:

That's a bit of a collection you're building up there Ade :)

I know, Dave but except for my 8" Dob, which was a 40th Birthday present from my mum & dad, all my Newts and my 90mm Mak are being sold. 

The summerhouse has turned into a scope storage shed and needs to be cleared out.........or so I've been reliably informed in no uncertain terms!!!!

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, AdeKing said:

The summerhouse has turned into a scope storage shed and needs to be cleared out.........or so I've been reliably informed in no uncertain terms!!!!

There is an alternative Ade ??

It doesn’t have to be the scopes that go...

?

• Haha 5

33 minutes ago, Stu said:

Lovely scope Ade, really nice design and I bet it performs well too. If I didn’t have my scope that must not be mentioned, I would have been very tempted. Look forward to hearing about first light.

I hope so Stu, I've heard so many positive reports about the 100ED variants that I thought I ought to try one.

Hoping for first light tonight fingers crossed and all that malarky.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, AdeKing said:

I hope so Stu, I've heard so many positive reports about the 100ED variants that I thought I ought to try one.

Hoping for first light tonight fingers crossed and all that malarky.

I am sure you will be pleased, Ade. I had a SW 100ED a couple of years ago which presumably had the same objective as your scope and it was fantastic.

Just prepare yourself and your "Finance Director" for the onset of aperture fever and the insatiable desire to buy a 120ED :rolleyes2: 

7 minutes ago, DRT said:

I am sure you will be pleased, Ade. I had a SW 100ED a couple of years ago which presumably had the same objective as your scope and it was fantastic.

Just prepare yourself and your "Finance Director" for the onset of aperture fever and the insatiable desire to buy a 120ED :rolleyes2: 

Thanks Derek, that would also require a more substantial mount so I'm not even going there..........for a substantial amount of time anyway.

• Haha 1

On 08/06/2018 at 19:07, DRT said:

This arrived today from eBay - an APM UW 80º 2" 30mm to provide low power as part of the set I posted about yesterday...

IMG_1035.jpg.7bb4234a1197c8ec1d54f4cbfd6741c6.jpg

I'll be interested to hear what you think as well Derek :icon_biggrin:

I used to own one of the Japanese Widescan III's  that these are based on:

unitron-widescan30.jpg

• Like 2

Just now, John said:

unitron-widescan30.jpg

How did you rate the Widescan, John? I saw them mentioned when I looked up the APM. 

2 minutes ago, John said:

unitron-widescan30.jpg

Will let you know, John. I bought it partly as a finder and partly for white light solar in my Baader wedge. At £45 from eBay I thought it looked like good value :smile: 

• Like 1