SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

Today I received a new to me 1.25" Baader Q-Turret.  

I really enjoy using my set of BCOs for WL Solar as they give excellent views, but having to keep swapping the solar continuum filter between eyepieces was becoming rather tiresome, so hopefully this item will solve that particular problem.

However, I was surprised and slightly disappointed to find that everything was plastic except the central pivot nut and bolt and the eyepiece securing thumbscrews ?.

I know that they're quite cheap but I was expecting something a bit more substantial from Baader.

I guess we'll see how it performs in practice.

IMG_3376.JPG

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AdeKing said:

I really enjoy using my set of BCOs for WL Solar as they give excellent views, but having to keep swapping the solar continuum filter between eyepieces was becoming rather tiresome, so hopefully this item will solve that particular problem.

However, I was surprised and slightly disappointed to find that everything was plastic except the central pivot nut and bolt and the eyepiece securing thumbscrews ?.

I know that they're quite cheap but I was expecting something a bit more substantial from Baader.

Don't worry. In 10 years, all that plastic will end up either in plankton or washed up on the beach of Big Island anyway. ? It's a bit cheeky too as it does look like metal. I suspect that that was the look they were going for. 

Edited by Ama Noody

4 hours ago, Ama Noody said:

It's a bit cheeky too as it does look like metal. I suspect that that was the look they were going for. 

I was really surprised when I opened the box, as you're right it looks like metal in all the images I can find.

On the positive side, at least it won't cause too much of a problem with balance, which is what I was initially concerned about ?.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, AdeKing said:

I was really surprised when I opened the box, as you're right it looks like metal in all the images I can find.

On the positive side, at least it won't cause too much of a problem with balance, which is what I was initially concerned about ?.

Actually, yes, that is a plus. It is amazing how quickly scopes become unwieldy once you start strapping stuff on.

2 hours ago, DRT said:

I'm just about to go out and have a peek at the Sun and now I'll have MC Hammer in my head :lol: 

Woooaaa woooaaa woooaa, wooooaaa woooaa, woooaa woooa ah! Haha sorry Derek!

No such luck for me & my new gear. Just spent the last 2hrs repairing the dishwasher! Harrumph.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Lots today :)

I was getting frustrated with the single locking screw on the eyepiece holder on my Mak and so have upgraded to a Baader reducer and holder.  Fitted them this evening and they feel much more substantial.  Looking at the scope though, I have now replaced everything it came with - finder, eyepiece holder, reducer and diagonal.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, cv01jw said:

Lots today :)

I was getting frustrated with the single locking screw on the eyepiece holder on my Mak and so have upgraded to a Baader reducer and holder.  Fitted them this evening and they feel much more substantial.  Looking at the scope though, I have now replaced everything it came with - finder, eyepiece holder, reducer and diagonal.

Sounds like the Astro equivalent of Trigger’s broom :lol:

congrats on the upgrades ?

On 20/06/2018 at 21:18, DRT said:

Well the Postman didn't bring it, but I collected this beauty from @jabeoo1 today in Bristol :grin: 

Takahashi FC100-DF (Parallax rings courtesy of Ian King & a Postman)

IMG_1077.jpg.c78298180e4a06ad224e9552faa73dd0.jpg

Ladies and gentlemen, Derek has arrived! Enjoy my friend, if my ickle Tak60 is anything to go by you're in for a treat :) 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, DRT said:

Sounds like the Astro equivalent of Trigger’s broom :lol:

congrats on the upgrades ?

:)

The optics are at least all standard.  I daren't add up the cost - doesn't seem much when you buy in little chunks.

• Like 1

On 20/06/2018 at 21:18, DRT said:

Well the Postman didn't bring it, but I collected this beauty from @jabeoo1 today in Bristol :grin: 

Takahashi FC100-DF (Parallax rings courtesy of Ian King & a Postman)

IMG_1077.jpg.c78298180e4a06ad224e9552faa73dd0.jpg

Glad this one has gone to a good home :icon_salut:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, DRT said:

Very nice, John.

"Ercole II", not just "Ercole"?

Have I missed something? :eek: 

Nope, it's a standard Ercole (apart from the base plate addition). It's my 2nd time around with the design so "Ecole II" for me :smiley:

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, John said:

Nope, it's a standard Ercole (apart from the base plate addition). It's my 2nd time around with the design so "Ecole II" for me :smiley:

Phew! 

I hadn't figured a new Ercole into my financial plan so pleased to hear I don't need to :wink: 

• Like 1

On 20/06/2018 at 13:42, AdeKing said:

IMG_3376.JPG

Always this instead 

20279.jpg

• Thanks 1

Well mine was actually a complete (and lovely) surprise :thumbright:

My brilliant Godson, who works for me, had an Astromaster 130EQ which unfortunately got damaged when he moved house.  I asked if I could have the mount/tripod as I wanted a small one just for occasional use and only needed a really small manual mount.  He said he would bring it in, and instead today a box turned up with the below in, and he walked in my office and said he wanted to give me a gift for helping him out over the years.  When he knew I wanted a small mount he ordered this for me instead of giving me his old Celestron one.

I love that lad :thumbright:

20180622_142856.thumb.jpg.edbd6d2bd43a8c394293c7eac1cb8739.jpg

Edited by RayD
  • Like 7

12 minutes ago, RayD said:

Well mine was actually a complete (and lovely) surprise :thumbright:

My brilliant Godson, who works for me, had an Astromaster 130EQ which unfortunately got damaged when he moved house.  I asked if I could have the mount/tripod as I wanted a small one just for occasional use and only needed a really small manual mount.  He said he would bring it in, and instead today a box turned up with the below in, and he walked in my office and said he wanted to give me a gift for helping him out over the years.  When he knew I wanted a small mount he ordered this for me instead of giving me his old Celestron one.

I love that lad :thumbright:

20180622_142856.thumb.jpg.edbd6d2bd43a8c394293c7eac1cb8739.jpg

Ahhh, bless his cotton socks :)

• Like 2