Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

Today a WO correct image 1.25 inch diagonal. Nice packaging in foam, helical focuser, end caps.

Also a Takahashi prism 1.25 inch diagonal. Bit of bubble wrap, sellophane bag, no end caps. 

Looking at both anyone would think the Tak was cheap Chinese and the WO upmarket to it. 

Altair 10x60 finder has arrived. 

Edited by 25585
  • Like 2

I just received a message, my ZWO ASI1600MM with filter wheel and NB filters delivered! :) 
And I am still in the office!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, hold me! :)

36225076_1833900613320586_7724900785284186112_n.thumb.jpg.ab2d83274c37f7e31f37241391e5349e.jpg

Edited by RolandKol
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, 25585 said:

Today a WO correct image 1.25 inch diagonal. Nice packaging in foam, helical focuser, end caps.

Also a Takahashi prism 1.25 inch diagonal. Bit of bubble wrap, sellophane bag, no end caps. 

Looking at both anyone would think the Tak was cheap Chinese and the WO upmarket to it. 

I've got both of these and I agree the tak looks/feels a bit flimsy, but the views are good.

18 minutes ago, Paz said:

I've got both of these and I agree the tak looks/feels a bit flimsy, but the views are good.

The flip side of this is the Tak diagonal is light weight and ideal for travel 

• Like 4

On 26/06/2018 at 10:59, 25585 said:

The Tak prism wasn't new was it? I've bought a couple of these new in the past and both came with a good quality Tak box and two end caps. If yours was bought used (I saw one on UKABS with no box or end caps, and selling for £50), then a) that's a good price vs c £90 new and b) it's hardly Takahashi's fault that it was sold on used without the box or caps, is it?

Optically, the Tak prism is excellent, really good. I like it's lightweight construction and helical securing ring but I wouldn't feel confident loading it with binoviewers and 2 eyepieces, which is why I sold mine on. But great as part of a portable setup?.

The WO correct image prism is not bad, I bought one a few months back, but when used next to a Baader T2 prism (not RACI), the Baader was MUCH better on contrast, sharpness and scatter.

I actually think the Baader T2 1.25" prism with both 2"-T2 and 1.25"-T2 nosepieces and helical focusing eyepiece holder is the best performing, best built such unit for the money you can get.

Dave

Baader-T2-Prism-Diagonal-with-Focusing-Eyepiece-Holder.jpg

Edited by F15Rules
  • Like 5

14 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

The Tak prism wasn't new was it? I've bought a couple of these new in the past and both came with a good quality Tak box and two end caps. If yours was bought used (I saw one on UKABS with no box or end caps, and selling for £50), then a) that's a good price vs c £90 new and b) it's hardly Takahashi's fault that it was sold on used without the box or caps, is it?

Optically, the Tak prism is excellent, really good. I like it's lightweight construction and helical securing ring but I wouldn't feel confident loading it with binoviewers and 2 eyepieces, which is why I sold mine on. But great as part of a portable setup?.

The WO correct image prism is not bad, I bought one a few months back, but when used next to a Baader T2 prism (not RACI), the Baader was MUCH better on contrast, sharpness and scatter.

I actually think the Baader T2 1.25" prism with both 2"-T2 and 1.25"-T2 nosepieces and helical focusing eyepiece holder is the best performing, best built such unit for the money you can get.

Dave

I use the Baader T2 2" prism diagonal in my 4" Tak and I could not agree more.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

Dave

No brand new prism, still in sellophane. 

IMG_20180627_144048.jpg

IMG_20180627_144053.jpg

IMG_20180627_144101.jpg

IMG_20180627_144111.jpg

14 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

The Tak prism wasn't new was it? I've bought a couple of these new in the past and both came with a good quality Tak box and two end caps.

Well, I bought one absolutely mint new from a local retailer, at the shop, and there were no caps with it in the Tak box. They did give me caps, free of charge. :happy11:

In any case, it wouldn't surprise me if a Tak prism came without caps.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, iPeace said:

Well, I bought one absolutely mint new from a local retailer, at the shop, and there were no caps with it in the Tak box. They did give me caps, free of charge. :happy11:

In any case, it wouldn't surprise me if a Tak prism came without caps.

Why wouldn't it?

The postman brought me nothing fancy like most of you but quite important (for me) a cable which will be used to hook up (soon to be bought) Lakeside motorised focuser to my Pegasus Ultimate Powerbox. One step closer to achieving the good results.

IMG-20180627-WA0002.thumb.jpg.6409693a4dfa7a4b494c317731981b10.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 25585 said:

No brand new prism, still in sellophane. 

IMG_20180627_144048.jpg

IMG_20180627_144053.jpg

IMG_20180627_144101.jpg

IMG_20180627_144111.jpg

..And no box? From a Tak retailer at new price? If so, I'd send it back. OK, it's only a box, but its' absence would take value from the prism if you sell it on

I'd be interested in your thoughts on it vs the WO prism at first light ?

Dave

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

I'd be interested in your thoughts on it vs the WO prism at first light ?

Yep @25585 would be good to see how you are getting one with some of this lovely kit. Have you managed any observing with any of it yet?

• Like 3