Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

IMPORTANT SGL Star Party Cancelled due to Flooding

Steve

2 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

I have never known September and October to be so wet it has constantly rained I have had 2 sessions out in 10 weeks its ridiculous, more of the same this weekend say the forecasters we have 2 days of respite not long enough. 

Tell me about it. 🤬🤬🤬

New scope in September and another one in October and a new mount due November. We’re doomed. 😩😩😩

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Even if conditions are not ideal for a SP, it’s always good to attend all the same, as it’s good to meet up with people with a common interest just for the crack.

In this case it is understandable as pitches and the site as a whole is not viable.

Other Star parties are available😇

• Like 3

Disappointed, but better it happens now than at 3am on Sunday morning. I thought at times it was going to flood last year, it was only inches from the top of the flood defences.

I'd certainly be happy seeing it moved back to spring on a regular basis. I have memories of many many clear nights at the spring events and only one or two total from the autumn events of recent years.

So sorry for the organisers, you must be absolutely gutted to have to call it off, and of course for the owners and staff at Lucksall and the poor people affected throughout the region.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Short of having the next one in Tenerife no way to be sure of good weather.

From going to star parties for eleven years now I can say that spring events have far more chance of being drier and clearer than autumn events.

• Like 2

Like everyone else, I’m totally gutted and sorry not to be catching up with everyone again this year. Having said that, I’m shocked by how bad Hereford (and the surrounding areas) are so it looks like it’s for the best. 
I still want to say thanks to @Grant and the team; it must be extra gutting for you after all the hard work but I’m sure we’ll all be there for the next one to say thanks in person. Your efforts are always greatly appreciated, I think nature just got her own way this time and that’s no ones fault! 
Thanks once again

Will

• Like 4

Oh ... no... I was hoping that this would be my only break in the run up to xmas :(  gutted....  Oh well, cant be helped I suppose!

Safety first, even if it was open I suspect a number of the roads will be impassable as well - Ive already had a couple of dodgy moments on country roads here in Worcestershire, I waited for someone else to try and drive through the flooded bits first before trying (very carefully) with my little car 

• Like 1

Like everyone totally gutted was looking forward to my first star party and putting faces to names, but thanks for the early warning. Thanks as well for all the effort and no doubt blood sweat and tears from the girls and guys organising you must be gutted as well. So here's to the next one.

Colin

• Like 1

Totally gutted we would have loved to have caught up with you all, now we'll just have to put our hats away & somehow munch through a huge chocolate fudge cake my ourselves!!
One thing you can't rely on is the weather such a shame for everyone, fingers crossed for the next one!!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Starflyer said:

From going to star parties for eleven years now I can say that spring events have far more chance of being drier and clearer than autumn events.

I'd agree. Events in the western side of the UK usually have better weather in Spring, and the eastern regions have better weather in Autumn. I've been  comparing them for years, ever since the Spring SGL and Spring Kelling used to share dates. For the past few years we have been spending three weeks at a time in Norfolk in autumn. Even this year there was a good 7 usable  nights, and 9 if you like lunar observing,  but in the same period as we were away, the weather was awful with only a couple of good nights.

I dont think Lucksall were so keen on us using the site in spring though?

• Like 3

Hi Mark and Steve

So sorry to hear that you have had to cancel a good star party

I am currently attending the 10th anniversary of the Galloway Star Party, we have had two clear nights with a heavy frost last night

We are looking  at clear skies tonight and hopefully Tuesday night but the forecast for the remainder of the week does not look promising, but in Scotland that means we will be having a number of whiskey tasting sessions were the weather is later seen as hazy......

Anyway, the people here are sorry to hear your plight and hope the weather in Herefordshire improves over the coming weeks 

All the very best 

Adrian

• Like 4

What a shame! 2nd year in a row and I still haven't made it to Lucksall campsite yet, let alone peered at any Herefordshire DSOs ;) 

Nevertheless I want to express my appreciation to everyone involved in setting up the event for all their hard work. You must be so disappointed and we do so appreciate your efforts!

The wife is currently googling for flights to La Palma....

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for your understanding - it was a difficult decision but the right one for everyone's sake. And of course, we have to consider the Lucksall team as well - they are great friends of many of us now, not just of SGL and we didn't want to add to their obvious pressures. And there is the marquee, and the hogroast (man, I'm gonna miss that hogroast!)...

I'd like to publicly say "Thanks" to @Grant - I am normally one of the "support team" but have been very busy with work this year, so he has pretty much done everything by himself. Normal service will resume next year - promise!!

Some people have suggested switching back to Spring - we moved away from Spring after the very wet one a few years ago. We had people stuck on the grass and we made a bit of a mess of some of the pitches. It was unavoidable and Lucksall were understanding, but by holding it Autumn, the site has a chance to recover before the new season. They are also a bit more lenient on the 4-night rule for the same reason..

But, we will figure something out to try and make up for it next year!

Hope the weather is better in Scotland and Wales, and indeed, anywhere else that is hosting a gathering - let us have the pictures so we can see what we're missing!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

I hope you can but unfortunately I am £450 down as I can't get the motorhome hire back. Gutted but I guess we can't control the weather (well not in the UK anyway)

Steve

Could you not still use it and head somewhere else Steve?

• Thanks 1

Ah such a shame, I have never made it to one SGL yet. Only just made my first ever star party at Kelling this year. But safety must come first. Now Tich and I have a 2kg chocolate fudge cake to get through lol. We have some flooding ourselves here near Leics, and with rain forecast for the weekend, it might be the tipping point to send the rivers over the banks. Stay safe everyone.

• Like 3

Very sad news, but completely understand. Thank you to everyone who put so much into organising this. It has always been great to attend and I will very much be looking forward to the next :)

Hope everyone has a good weekend and can get the equipment out for a little bit :) 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, PhotoGav said:

I know this might be controversial and has been discussed briefly before, but... what about finding a new location that is not next to a flood hazard.... I’ll get my coat........ 😮

I couldn't agree more Gav. Lucksall is a beautiful park in every sense but, the river can flood the park and don't forget the mist it can produce. Also, since Hereford has installed a fair amount of white light as opposed to orange, the white dome is rather annoying. Just my opinion of course. I will most certainly still attend the annual SGLSP no matter where it is held. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Could you not still use it and head somewhere else Steve?

Cheers Stu, Yes, I did think about it and may do but not sure. Weather not very promising all over UK and so may just minimises my losses and treat myself to something (astro related obviously 🙂 ) with the money I would have spent on fuel and so on.  I pick the campervan up fairly close to Hereford so it's a long drive to pick it up. We will see but not to worry 🙂  

More the disappointment of not meeting people  really than the money and it is just one of those things that we have no control over , that we can't do anything about, so no point getting too down about it, hopefully we have better luck next time.

Steve

• Like 2