SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

IMPORTANT SGL Star Party Cancelled due to Flooding

Steve

Not good news I am afraid 😥

Due to heavy rain and flooding, half of Lucksall campsite (mostly the half used for the Star Party!) is underwater and more rain is forecast later this week.  Unfortunately we are unable to proceed with this year's SGL Star Party. 

All pitch and meal bookings will be refunded in full this week. 

SGL Star Parties are an opportunity for us all to meet, face to face, in the real world so are an important part of the SGL calendar.  Wwill do our best to arrange an additional SGL Star Party next year. 

Thank-you for your understanding. 

• Sad 15

We will email everybody who booked a pitch ASAP but please help us spread the word.  

If you know someone who has booked please check they are aware it has been cancelled.  Then hopefully nobody will unknowingly make the journey.  

• Thanks 3

We are gutted too.  Not just because we won't be able to meet everyone but because it takes a tremendous amount of thought and energy to put together an event like this.  Am especially thinking of you @Grant and those who helped you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Jonk said:

Also gutted - hopefully I can get a refund on the caravan hire.

Thanks for the update at the earliest possibility.

I hope you can but unfortunately I am £450 down as I can't get the motorhome hire back. Gutted but I guess we can't control the weather (well not in the UK anyway)

Steve

Oh no what a shame was getting very excited, even got the caravan dragged out and clean today.

Probably for the best though, floating is a nightmare for P.A.

Thanks for the notice and sorry to everyone who worked hard putting it all together. 😥

• Like 1

Oh drat... that is a huge disappointment, but after being more than mildly panicky last year about flooding, I'm so not surprised with all this recent weather. Here's to a substitute event very soon. Should the star party revert to a springtime event?

Thanks to all the organisers and for the early cancellation.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

I hope you can but unfortunately I am £450 down as I can't get the motorhome hire back. Gutted but I guess we can't control the weather (well not in the UK anyway)

Steve

Sorry to hear this, it might be worth checking to see if you have an travel insurance policies that would cover you, sometimes you get policies included with things like bank accounts and it might help.

Hopefully due to the flooding/weather the hire company will show some leniency.

• Like 1

Oh [lots of very bad removed words] I was really looking forward to this, having missed the last two through circumstance and my own stupidity.

Was looking forward to meeting up with members again, and some new ones, @AdeKing especially.

Well, at least I'll save some money on the baking I was going to do, got a batch of choc chip shortbread in the oven now, and was planning loads of fudge (As we would need the calories in the cold).

TBH, looking at the weather forecasts I'm not that surprised, just gutted.

• Like 3

Its a real shame but Herefordshire has experienced the worst flooding in 20 years. To give you an idea here are two photos showing Hereford yesterday. The height of the river at the old bridge was 5.5 metres. I have never known this bridge closed but the Police and Council were worried about its safety and close it to vehicles and pedestrians.

If anyone wants one of these photos to use as evidence when making an insurance claim then let me know.

fllo.a.jpg

floodc..jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, upahill said:

Sorry to hear this, it might be worth checking to see if you have an travel insurance policies that would cover you, sometimes you get policies included with things like bank accounts and it might help.

Hopefully due to the flooding/weather the hire company will show some leniency.

I am just about to ring them now and see and I did mean to take some insurance out but forgot.

If I do not get anything back then I will be gutted but I am more upset that I didn't get to meet everyone for the first time.

Nothing we can do about the weather and a lot of people will not be happy but as I always say not big deal in the bigger picture of things, nobody got hurt and nothing can be done.

Steve

Oh wow.  Sorry to hear, that it's had to be called off :(

Still, I remember last year we spent more time river gazing than star gazing.   And the one night that it was clear for any length of time, a woman decided to go into the river after her dog in the dark, which messed everything up.   He husband went in after her whilst the emergency services came.   Luckily, everyone was pulled out, and carted off by the ambulance crews.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Its a real shame but Herefordshire has experienced the worst flooding in 20 years. To give you an idea here are two photos showing Hereford yesterday. The height of the river at the old bridge was 5.5 metres. I have never known this bridge closed but the Police and Council were worried about its safety and close it to vehicles and pedestrians.

If anyone wants one of these photos to use as evidence when making an insurance claim then let me know.

floodc..jpg

Thats incredible, the sheer volume of water is difficult to think about.

33a-hereford-bridge-summer-e1421595917873.jpg.44a167e673e5be5e93d8c01e2039c1d4.jpg

We didnt open our shop in Hereford today as we didnt think we would get there from Monmouth, everyone in Ross is warning the water levels are still rising (im guessing it takes a few days to seep through everything and drain in the waterways.)

7 minutes ago, cjdawson said:

Oh wow.  Sorry to hear, that it's had to be called off :(

Still, I remember last year we spent more time river gazing than star gazing.   And the one night that it was clear for any length of time, a woman decided to go into the river after her dog in the dark, which messed everything up.   He husband went in after her whilst the emergency services came.   Luckily, everyone was pulled out, and carted off by the ambulance crews.

I must have left before that, or slept through it - but yes it was quite unsettling being so close to the river and wondering if we would have to make a mad dash for it.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

fllo.a.jpg

floodc..jpg

Sorry to see the event cancelled guys,

but knowing the area rather well, blimey that water is soooo high!  

I think cancelling was a good call.

• Like 1