Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Welcome to Stargazers Lounge

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customise your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

  • Announcements

    sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_nlc.gif

Jonk

Advanced Members
  • Content count

    997
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

593 Excellent

3 Followers

About Jonk

  • Rank
    Proto Star
  • Birthday

Contact Methods

  • Website URL
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/64466793@N08/

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male
  • Location
    Portsmouth, UK

Recent Profile Visitors

1,726 profile views
  1. I have an A3 tracing panel, which operates on a 5v USB connection. It was about £30. I don't use it any more, as the pwm dimmer can be picked up by a DSLR camera, even at exposures above a few seconds. Rolling shutter effect.
  2. Interesting thread - I have 2 Lumicon filters, a 2" OIII and a 2" Ha. I've had mine a while so should be ok. Sounds like I need to keep these very well looked after. I bought the OIII purely to look at the Veil Nebula! I'm certainly glad I did. I can't compare to anything else however.
  3. Just a thought - what are the IP ratings of those connectors, plus the switches come to think of it? Dew will form heavily and condensation / humidity may eat the insides over time.
  4. Sorry for the delay, here are my drawings for the pier and adaptor plate for the AZ-EQ6. The adaptor plate hasn't been made yet, so I can't tell if it's 100% correct, it should be ok. I do know that the slotted holes for radial adjustment aren't ideal, but I figured better to bolt it down in a lot of places, rather than rely on the centre bolt only. Those of you who know what the 6 degrees of freedom is will know what I mean! I also drew it as it would be installed. The reason for the 220mm diameter, was because this was what was available to recycle - I wanted 300mm diameter pipe but no problem. Here it is nearly ready to bolt down fully, but I'd rather wait for the concrete to reach 4 weeks of curing, just to be sure. Even finger tight it appears to be so much more solid than a tripod (no surprise really!), so I think I'll be very happy with it. Next step, re lay 4 removed slabs. bolt down fully, pea shingle over the base and fit the mount, ready for the Milky Way season. Oh yes, and maybe a wooden frame / roof.
  5. I'm after a Moonlite closed spacer (SPC) for 2" Crayford focuser. This: https://www.cameraconcepts.com/store2/product.php?productid=19326 I need the 1/2" version, but it will be ok if the 1" is available. I don't need the whole kit, just the flat spacer (which I can't seem to find online apart from the link above), so if anyone can help, please let me know. If not, I'll buy a lump of aluminium and get the drill out.
  6. Great, I'll do the same once I put it back out and get it set up for August. If you remove the 2 plastic washers that you've fitted, is it stronger again? Have you used stainless hardware? You might notice some brown if not! I'm glad it's improved.
  7. Yes it was a surprise, especially as there are hundreds of better Jupiters around. Maybe by adding an image to a Flickr group, you automatically grant permission for it to be used? Oh well, it's a giggle.
  8. I've just stumbled across this page, which features one of my really poor Jupiter images as a monthly favourite! http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p050mrgq/p050mcsx The image isn't very good, planetary is not my normal thing, as I was just trying to see if I could do it, but hey, someone likes it! My fault for adding it to The Sky at Night's Flickr page I suppose.
  9. Certainly a weak point, yes. One thing that does help, is when adjusting the altitude, always wind it so it's lifting the weight of the mount, not dropping it if possible. Doing this carefully should mean the mount won't droop as much when the correct alt is set. However, tightening the side nuts / thumb wheels at this stage may knock the alt setting out of position, so have the nuts on the side finger tight first, and slowly tighten them when ready. But you're right, you're not alone!
  10. I've got the same problem, and I've had the mount into as many pieces you can shake a stick at to see if I can improve it. Maybe some stainless M12 nyloc nuts will suffice, with a large penny washer? For a permanent setup, this is what I'd go for.
  11. Nice idea, but what if a spider walks across it?!
  12. I can't open my cad drawing on this PC, so will post an image of the pier and adapter plate drawing later. The base is 400mm diameter, 20mm thick from memory.
  13. Here are some photos...
  14. I would rather do it alone!
  15. Well, today was the day. Went out at 10:30 to prep and the 1st mix started at midday. 3 and a half hours later, the concrete was done. It was probably about a tonne of ballast in total. I'm so glad I bought a cement mixer, I really don't think doing this without one would be much fun. I set the studs down and tried to get it as level as possible, not as easy as I thought! I'm glad it's finally done, I wouldn't like to do this every day, that's for sure, I'm not designed for it. I ache all over from lifting bucket after bucket of ballast, and shovelling the ballast into the buckets. Now to wait a week or 2 to lift the stud jig up and bolt the pier down. I'll post some photos later.