Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

IMPORTANT SGL Star Party Cancelled due to Flooding

Steve

Janie and I were unable to attend the star party this year but I am so sorry for all of you that were going to attend. However, I think this is the right call having seen how close to flooding the site we were last year and the conditions are even worse this year.

Knowing how much work goes into organising this event, I am also very saddened for Grant and his support team (too risky to name in case I miss someone out!) who have put so much work into this event. Here's to the next one 👍

• Like 3

Really disappointed but I had an inkling when said they would appoint pitches when you get there.

Going have to look at Buxton or North Wales now for a weekend.

Thank you all for your hard work organising this feel every sympathy for you and everyone who was attending.

Edited by wookie1965
  • Like 1

I've just had my refund through from FLO, I hadn't checked the forum beforehand but I suspected that rain might've had something to do with it. Like what's already been said, I'm glad the decision has been made with plenty of notice and I think it's the right call. Hopefully I'll get a chance to attend the next SP in the new year sometime.

• Like 1

Have just spotted my refund for the pitches, not the food though which was a seperate order so ill assume that will happen later.

Now if only I could remember what card I paid with, and if it still exists? 🤣

Edit: @FLO I have emailed regarding this as im pretty sure now the refund is in the ether, the card/account no longer exists 😛

Edited by upahill
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, reddoss said:

Very disappointed indeed. I was so looking forward to seeing everyone again. 

I may go the Fforest Fields campsite  near Builth Wells instead.

Could be busy at Fforest Fields, we're there with the dog this weekend to avoid all the firework noise and I know a lot of other people are doing the same. Forecast is rain and plenty of more rain all weekend

Kev

Edited by Photosbykev
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Photosbykev said:

Could be busy at Fforest Fields, we're there with the dog this weekend to avoid all the firework noise and I know a lot of other people are doing the same.

Kev

Thanks for the heads up Kev.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, upahill said:

Have just spotted my refund for the pitches, not the food though which was a seperate order so ill assume that will happen later.

Now if only I could remember what card I paid with, and if it still exists? 🤣

Edit: @FLO I have emailed regarding this as im pretty sure now the refund is in the ether, the card/account no longer exists 😛

I have replied :)

I'm working through all the refunds in turn so any other orders of yours will be caught soon :)

There will be some emails going out tomorrow to those whose cards have expired/been replaced or the transactions are too old for a simple PayPal refund. None of that is a problem, it'll just need a quick email :)

James

• Thanks 2

Gutted . Trailer all packed , got to get through a carrier bag of Pot Noodles and instant porridge. Will post my observing lists on "Observing ", thanks for the advance notice and all the work that goes to making these events a success,

old Nick.

• Like 2

Sorry I had to leave these announcements to Steve, I've been away in Lincolnshire today with the kids visiting my parents but spent most of the day on the phone trying to sort this out after hearing from Lucksall this morning.

Nothing else to add other than to say I am gutted, I love coming to the star party and it's seeing everyone have a good time that makes all the effort that goes on behind the scenes worth it. This year, all the effort has happened without the end result :(

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Just seen this - what a shame!!  So sorry for the organisers and all the work they put into these events.  I wasn't going as I'm not up to travelling far these days but have great sympathy for those who were going.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My card is one of those that has expired since payment...what a pain for you to sort out, James! However, it would have hurt you more to rescue me and carry me across flooded fields! 😲

I saw the flooding in Hereford on Midlands Today - awful - cancellation was certainly the right decision.

• Like 1

Oh rats! Gutted to say the least.

Not surprised though, the fields in the midlands are absolutely saturated now, many rivers have broken their banks already, lots of flooding around. It looks like being a real problem this winter, going to cost a lot of people a lot of  money I think.

What an anti-climax for you Grant :(  We are going over to Winterfest at Kelling in November should you need to get a big scope fix...

• Like 1

I would like to express my condolences to all the folks who were eagerly looking forward
to the SGL gathering for what is always a fantastic experience. 
Mother Nature has been rather vicious this year with almost Biblical flooding  in many areas of the UK.
I  could not attend the November Party because of  medical procedures I have done. Nothing serious, but they were scheduled for
October. A small bladder tumour removal, and my second cataract Op.  The journey to Hereford is a rather long one, which 
rather prevented doing anything silly.
I would hope a Spring alternative to the cancelled Autumn one might be  possible, but I know that might prove very difficult.
for the guys who put these things together.
I was looking forward to the happy reports coming in, and the images captured from Lucksalls skies.

Sorry once again guys and gals, you must all be feeling pretty sad.

Ron.

• Like 3

Thats a shame. 😢

But its good that we know today rather than having really short notice. A big thank you to everyone who helped get it together, hopefully next year the weather will be a bit better.

After saturdays rain we would need to go to mount everest to stay dry :( 

John

Edited by JohnSadlerAstro
  • Like 1