Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

IMPORTANT SGL Star Party Cancelled due to Flooding

Steve

1 hour ago, PhotoGav said:

I know this might be controversial and has been discussed briefly before, but... what about finding a new location that is not next to a flood hazard.... I’ll get my coat........ 😮

It's not a problem thats going to go away anytime soon. I was suprised to see that the marquee and tents were going in the further field, last year that area looked like it was lower than the other fields if i recall correctly.

I imagine finding a campsite that has all the facilities, and is willing to have large extended bookings is tricky during peak times. I like the time of year, just a shame that these long periods of rain and the wye flooding is becoming a regular occurence.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AstroGnome said:

Hang it.

I'm going to Six Penny Handly, Anyone want to join me?

Mark,

I'd love to, but after seeing my huge disappointment and kicked puppy expression yesterday, my Wife immediately claimed the weekend back and has organised some stuff as its her birthday and she only reluctantly agreed to let me go to Lucksall as I enjoyed it so much. So I can't really complain.

Ade

• Haha 1

Awww gutted! I wasn't attending this event but i know lots of folk were planning to! Never mind, hopefully next year will be ok. I'm planning on attending my first one next year so hopefully it will be even busier than it would have been because people will be making up for lost occasion this time around! 

Wes, Liverpool, UK.

Really sorry to see the SGL meet cancelled for you fine folk

Unfortunately there are areas of Herefordshire that are more prone to flooding than others. From what I gather over the years that Lucksall seems to be one area that is in the at risk area when ever the weather turns wet for any length of time. There are plenty of other areas in Herefordshire that do not have this problem. So hopefully matters can be arranged to help the situation in future. I really do feel sorry for those who have booked time from work for a well deserved break having some star gazing fun with like minded people. And those who have hired camper vans to come to the event. Hopefully if you have insurance this will help? But all depends on the type of insurance I suppose. Sorry guys and better luck for the next SGL event. If my back garden was bigger could of rearranged for a plan B 😉

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't going, but I'm gutted for the organisers and everyone else involved.  I enjoy it vicariously just reading about it on the forum and will miss the commentary this year.  Hope some of you manage to hook up else where and that the organisers don't have too much extra work with the refunds.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Lucksall campsite has been on my mind during storm Dennis. The Environment Agency has a severe flood warning with 'danger to life' for the area around Mordiford. That's worse than it was last time we were there. Does anyone know if they are OK there? I know they have good flood defences, but it sounds like they may not have been enough. I know Mark at Beaufort is local - does anyone know if he is OK?

Lulu - Hereford had the worst flood in 200 years with many parts of the City and County under water. I attach a few photo taken from the old bridge in Hereford where the river was over 6 metres.

I am not sure about Lucksall but Daz (Admin) has sent a message to them. I can say that Mordiford bridge was, and still is, closed because of safety concerns. In addition the road between Mordiford and Fownhope is closed because it has collapsed in two places.

IMG_20200217_142838.jpg

IMG_20200217_142754.jpg

• Sad 6

That's awful. Whatever sympathy I express for people caught in it is going to sound inadequate, but I do feel for them . And the poor guys at Lucksall must be feeling so anxious.

I'm glad you're safe and well Mark.

• Like 1

I am not at all surprised, we were down in Hereford last weekend to collect a used camper van.
The journey down was interesting, the journey back was worse.
The worst areas were Gloucestershire and Herefordshire that we drove through.

I am truly sympathetic towards all who have been flooded, that must be awful to go through.

I too was thinking about Lucksall. The river at Monmouth hit 7.14m, the previous record (200 years) was 6.4m. Stood on the A40 inches from the water, when usually there are usually two fields between the A40 and the river reminded me of being on the bank at the last star party 😬

86776567_605206720332660_6765868234861182976_n.jpg.19cfba435b63abab3f7aeacfaef0a92e.jpg

wye.jpg.97788c08ebb2ad76c4ea108eb3804b6f.jpg

It's still freakishly high now, but receding at least. Hopefully lucksall recover well, but Im sure they are well prepared for it now.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, upahill said:

I too was thinking about Lucksall. The river at Monmouth hit 7.14m, the previous record (200 years) was 6.4m. Stood on the A40 inches from the water, when usually there are usually two fields between the A40 and the river reminded me of being on the bank at the last star party 😬

86776567_605206720332660_6765868234861182976_n.jpg.19cfba435b63abab3f7aeacfaef0a92e.jpg

wye.jpg.97788c08ebb2ad76c4ea108eb3804b6f.jpg

It's still freakishly high now, but receding at least. Hopefully lucksall recover well, but Im sure they are well prepared for it now.

I thought of you and the  problem that Monmouth was going to get. Clearly since the flood left Hereford more water was going to be added. I guess the road at Tintern would have been badly hit.

3 minutes ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

I thought of you and the  problem that Monmouth was going to get. Clearly since the flood left Hereford more water was going to be added. I guess the road at Tintern would have been badly hit.

We are fortunately quite high up, so other than the rains washing away the lane and leaving all vehicles bar the 4x4 stranded its not been too bad for us, the mobile homes by that bridge came within a few cm of flooding though and a lot of the lower down properties did get washed out.

With the bridge closed for 48 hours I didnt go via Tintern for any trips but I imagine it was pretty bad, Ross, whitchurch etc were all flooding at one stage, only been here 8 years but havent seen that before.

• 5 months later...
On 24/08/2020 at 10:08, Mark at Beaufort said:

Lucksall looks really good after the terrible flood 'Dennis' we had earlier in the year. I assume the road to Fownhope is still being repaired which was estimated to be the end of September.

Glad that Gary is keeping the site up to his usually standards

You can’t tell it was inundated now - the grass is pristine as are all the facilities. 

Staff have been great, all in all been a great trip away - stars even came out late last night. Unfortunately it was blowing about 3billion mph so didn’t fancy getting my SA out for some shots!

Will certainly be back, hopefully for a future SGL. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, wormix said:

You can’t tell it was inundated now - the grass is pristine as are all the facilities. 

Staff have been great, all in all been a great trip away - stars even came out late last night. Unfortunately it was blowing about 3billion mph so didn’t fancy getting my SA out for some shots!

Will certainly be back, hopefully for a future SGL. 

Glad you had a good trip to view the site - despite the terrible wind we had.

I will mention your report to the Admin/Mod team when we have our next zoom debrief meeting. Clearly SGL want to return to Lucksall at some stage.

Look forward to meeting you at a future star party - I live about 10 minutes drive from Lucksall

• 5 months later...