Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

5 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

My favourite chapters was the one on Equipment. Patrick was always disparaging about pillar a claw mounts (quite rightly, although I don’t think I’d actually seen one), invariably describing them as steady as either a jelly (in this book) or a blancmange. I loved this idea. 
Strange no mention of Taks, though. 

Dated of course but still fascinating. If only Patrick was still here to present Sky@Night. 😢

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JeremyS said:

Another old book. This was actually my first astro book in the early 70s. It’s the same 1971 edition I owned, but was lost over the years. Looking at the illustrations immediately transposes me to my youth - and how I longed for the return of Comet Halley in 1985/6 and the solar eclipse in 1999 that were mentioned (both major disappointments as it turned out!). I know many others started with this book.

image.thumb.jpg.3b18fdda2addea4f09617bc9c339da11.jpg

Was my first astronomy book too Jeremy! Enjoy.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Highburymark said:

They are in production again - but the price is incredible - 840 euros from APM, plus import duty…..,

Yet to try mine out, but am sure it will be amazing  

Price is through the roof!  No duty, as it’s made in the EU (current Brexit rule between UK, NI & EU (both ways)). However, carriage, insurance and the dreaded VAT @20% pushes the price up even further 😮   If it’s coming into the UK. 

Edited by Naglerman
  • Like 2

Arrived yesterday, and amazingly was able to try it successfully last night (albeit briefly)… Neewer carbon fibre jib arm camera crane… to use as binocular mount, as discussed in this thread 👍

80367425-6CB3-494B-8936-C3658CA29D85.jpeg

135A2E66-D348-4A75-B740-F334530307D5.jpeg

Edited by HollyHound
Added photo of head with binoculars
  • Like 13

10 hours ago, HollyHound said:

Arrived yesterday, and amazingly was able to try it successfully last night (albeit briefly)… Neewer carbon fibre jib arm camera crane… to use as binocular mount, as discussed in this thread 👍

80367425-6CB3-494B-8936-C3658CA29D85.jpeg

135A2E66-D348-4A75-B740-F334530307D5.jpeg

The only problem is the cup holder looks a bit small

• Haha 4

5 metre Lynx Astro EQ8R-pro power cable arrived today from FLO.  This a replacement for the one they sent last week that had two power supply ends. I think this must have affected the whole batch as others have had the same issue. Swiftly sorted considering they would have had to get new cables made up. 

Graeme 

• Like 1

On 30/01/2022 at 10:04, HollyHound said:

Very nice rig.  Good choice of bins too, I love mine.

• Thanks 1

Meet the team!

It's taken me a couple of years to get my dream team together, but here they are at last, completed with todays delivery from FLO of a little squat Pentax XW 20. Ordered on Friday, postie actually tried delivering on Saturday when the office was closed, but came back today with my goodies. Many thanks to both for a lightening fast delivery.

I bought the 20, 14 & 7 from FLO (two with the 20% discount), and the other three courtesy of three very fine chaps on here. Thanks very much, they are being looked after.

It sometimes seems a bit extravagant to spend so much on eyepieces, but I consider these as "keep for life", and as I'm in the run-up to pension age I'll probably not be able to afford them in the future. My wife is happy with me getting something that works without strain with my ageing eyes. 😍 

There are a couple of other EPs in the XW range, but the 30mm is too close to my 40mm, and the 3.5mm too powerful for regular use on my scopes. For those rare nights of excellent seeing, or tricky doubles, I'm happy to barlow the 7mm or 5mm XW.

image.png.9a45f7e14c100679fab47d12a1a9fb10.png  image.png.3aa378debb88a5c3e5b81907b83d8588.png

• Like 12

Somewhat inevitably, I couldn’t resist the chance to have two complete scopes out of the bits I had for the FS60C and FC76DCU so picked up a CB tube which arrived today. I’m still looking for a CSV tube (even shorter at 105mm vs 127mm for the CB tube) but no luck so far. I’ve swapped the plate over to show this is now a CB model 👍

Looks great as standard or with the CQ module fitted.

I may be completely sacrilegious and replace the Tak original clamp with More Blue rings as I think they work well with this small scope. Sorry to all Tak ‘original’ fans 😉

I’ve ordered a More Blue precision focuser for it, and have a FT on its way at some point (in the distant future with current lead times!) to complete the pack; FS60CB/Q, FC76DCU and FC100DC, all angles covered 👍

E1A4A732-A6EC-4DC1-8E84-C419CA4987E2.jpeg

5C53DBE4-8089-46EB-B953-CA40C3529099.jpeg

7B11EB72-338E-4E96-B15E-9F918589B1F8.jpeg

922D86CA-BB78-4786-9617-C91F7C64ACD1.jpeg

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Stu said:

FS60CB/Q, FC76DCU and FC100DC, all angles covered

Looks great, and the little FS-60CB is a fantastic scope... used as finder (dual scope) or just on it's own 😀

It's certainly true that getting "just one more" Tak is hard to resist 😁 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stu said:

I’ve ordered a More Blue precision focuser for it, and have a FT on its way at some point (in the distant future with current lead times!) to complete the pack

I noticed you had the adaptor ring for sale for an FT on FC100. Also noticed that @FLO is showing "Unavailable" and 60-90 days (at least I guess) for all FT focusers now, so I can't imagine how long this lead in time must be 😮 Good luck 🤞

• Like 1

Up untill now all planets and lunar since re starting taken with the EQ5 SW single axis drive. sidereal rate. Finally dual axis drive. lunar rate. Uranus and Neptune should be easier to find in light polluted skies

Thanks to Gaz 81 for the drive, and flo for the Nevada PSU and lynx cable

Its nothing to some i know. But from what i was using its a big step up

DSC00250.jpg

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 7