NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

I got these 3D printed Bahtinov masks from eBay. Unfortunately, the larger one is a little bit small for my Sky-Watcher Evostar 120. It split when I tried to fit it over the dew shield. 

My own fault for measuring it slightly too small, it should be been 144mm instead of 143mm. 🙄

Lesson learnt, so I've ordered an adjustable one that big enough and some... 

20220209_142508.jpg

• Like 6

Expanding my astronomy library...  Just received a used (like new) copy of Atlas of the Night Sky by Storm Dunlop.  Since I've just got into lunar observation and peeked my interest considerably I mainly purchased this as it has quite an extensive section for the Moon and maps illustrated by Antonin Rukl since his book, Atlas of the Moon is a ridiculous price.  Also winging its way here is the 21st Century Atlas of the Moon (Charles Wood).

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Davesellars said:

Expanding my astronomy library...  Just received a used (like new) copy of Atlas of the Night Sky by Storm Dunlop.  Since I've just got into lunar observation and peeked my interest considerably I mainly purchased this as it has quite an extensive section for the Moon and maps illustrated by Antonin Rukl since his book, Atlas of the Moon is a ridiculous price.  Also winging its way here is the 21st Century Atlas of the Moon (Charles Wood).

I really like my copy of the 21st Century Atlas of the Moon (Charles Wood), a very good atlas.
Hope that you find your one as useful as I do my copy.

• Like 1

I’ve been round this loop before, Michael Wilkinson now has my old GP-DX with the ADM dual format saddle on it, so I thought I would get one for my ‘new’ GP-DX!

It may take my LZOS which would be handy for planetary and lunar observing, otherwise still great for my other scopes

17FEBD1E-A2F3-46F4-AE53-F2E791DFB112.jpeg

1AF690D1-AD2D-46D6-960C-7EF9831CB71D.jpeg

8C53D270-D527-4522-834B-FD28D904D844.jpeg

A5CF04D6-EAF0-4CBD-96CD-83EE6059FB35.jpeg

• Like 8

18 minutes ago, Stu said:

I’ve been round this loop before, Michael Wilkinson now has my old GP-DX with the ADM dual format saddle on it, so I thought I would get one for my ‘new’ GP-DX!

It may take my LZOS which would be handy for planetary and lunar observing, otherwise still great for my other scopes

17FEBD1E-A2F3-46F4-AE53-F2E791DFB112.jpeg

1AF690D1-AD2D-46D6-960C-7EF9831CB71D.jpeg

8C53D270-D527-4522-834B-FD28D904D844.jpeg

A5CF04D6-EAF0-4CBD-96CD-83EE6059FB35.jpeg

Hello Stu. 
That’s looks like an excellent upgrade.  Do ADM do a version for the “standard “ GP Vixen mount or is this it ??  I’m good at missing the obvious. 
John 

On 09/02/2022 at 14:38, Stu said:

It’s a Vixen HAL130 with a GP adaptor

I got one of those recently and I'm seriously impressed. Had the AL150 in the past which is a great tripod but the new SXG is something else. Just as rock solid as a 2" steel tubed but with much less weight.👍

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Telescope40 said:

Hello Stu. 
That’s looks like an excellent upgrade.  Do ADM do a version for the “standard “ GP Vixen mount or is this it ??  I’m good at missing the obvious. 
John 

Worth checking as it is not very clear from a search online. ADM seems to have a GP version in Vixen and Losmandy versions, but the Dual format version is described as for the GP-DX. I can’t recall if that part of the head is the same between the two mounts. Best bet is to ask FLO.

https://www.admaccessories.com/product/vsad-gp-v-series-saddle-fits-vixen-gp-mounts/

• Like 2

Not sure if this idea would work or not but these bar magnets with adhesive strips by 3M arrived this week. Perfect fit (6cm length) for the Rigel Quickfinder base plate. Perfect way to try different positions and avoid drilling and/or sticking directly on the scope. Seems to work well!

BECECEFB-D565-4C8A-87DA-7EA64AFD279B.thumb.jpeg.12e00faf9f5a5cb1c670352b79b4e5c7.jpegC8A41DA8-D0E6-4E31-9E7F-46FFA117CF7A.thumb.jpeg.6ca85283c707a391cbf489db9a30a17b.jpeg 

• Like 6

18 hours ago, Franklin said:

Yes, you certainly don't skimp on the parcel tape!

I've had a few like from SGL members, and the unwrapping effort certainly adds to the anticipation.
I'm surprised I haven't yet had a frenzied accident with the carpet knife; that would be fun to explain in A&E:
"you don't understand, I've been wanting the 16mm for months, and they're out of stock everywhere"

• Haha 5

3 minutes ago, Zermelo said:

I've had a few like from SGL members, and the unwrapping effort certainly adds to the anticipation.
I'm surprised I haven't yet had a frenzied accident with the carpet knife; that would be fun to explain in A&E:
"you don't understand, I've been wanting the 16mm for months, and they're out of stock everywhere"

I'm sure many A&E's are still dealing with the aftermath of unboxing injuries following the recent pentax eyepiece sale by FLO. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3