Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

19 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

Thank you FLO :smile:. Arrived today via a (now crippled due to weight) DPD driver.

1890627578_DSC_0179_DxO1200.jpg.136e9582a1ac378f3bbc68bba65187bc.jpg

I must say I like what you have done to your shed. (with reference too What's stopping me getting a larger scope?)

I bet you are going to get some stunning views with that.👌

Edited by Mick H
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, fozzybear said:

local facteur/Postie  delivered these today

IMG20220217174108.jpg

“Revised and enlarged” - as if they need to be any bigger! 😆 Very nice purchase, I have all three, owned from new, now 40 years old, treasured possessions. 

• Like 3

Just received the 21st Century Atlas of the Moon (Charles Wood).   It's exactly what I was looking for and a nice compliment to Rukls' illustrations that are in the Collins Night Sky book.  Also, with it being ringbound I can easily take a photocopy of a page or two of interest to use at the scope / notes.

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, Davesellars said:

Just received the 21st Century Atlas of the Moon (Charles Wood).   It's exactly what I was looking for and a nice compliment to Rukls' illustrations that are in the Collins Night Sky book.  Also, with it being ringbound I can easily take a photocopy of a page or two of interest to use at the scope / notes.

I've got the same book... it's a keeper 👍

Mark.

• Like 3

Since just before xmas we've had about 4 clear nights & they have all been accompanied by gale force winds. This lack of 'things to do' on an evening is proving quite expensive  🙄 I decided I needed a 'project' to concentrate on.
Back at the end of 2017 I built my first PC, its getting on a bit in tech terms now & has only got 1TB of storage which is split into 2x 500GB M.2 nvme SSD's & i'm rapidly running out of space as I didn't quite realise just how much storage image processing takes up (I've only started imaging this last 8 months or so). My motherboard only has room for 2 M.2's so in a moment of thumb twiddling boredom I decided to look at SATA SSD's to add for more storage. Whilst looking at those it quickly turned into looking at CPU's. I do a fair bit of gaming on my PC but I also do my image processing on it using PI & a bit of tweaking in PS, my current PC is very slow when it comes to PixInsight (and newer title games) so a faster CPU would speed things up. My PC uses the intel 7th Gen i5-7600k so I decided to go for the latest 12th Gen i7 12700K. I then found out that the new 12th Gen CPU's have a different form factor, the new Alder Lake CPU has more pins than all the previous iterations meaning they need the latest motherboard, the Z690 😒.

After umming & ahhing for all of around 30 seconds I decided to throw caution to the wind, go the whole hog & build a new PC. I'm buying a few parts each month & it should be finished around June. Last month I bought the MSI MAG Z690 Tomahawk motherboard & the Be Quiet Dark Base PRO 900 Rev 2 Full tower case. The motherboard has capacity for 4x M.2 nvme SSD's, & a load of other high tech stuff I wont bore you all with. The case is massive compared to my old one & extra storage wise has the capacity for either 7 HDD's or 15 SSD's so storage wont be an issue ever ever ever again 😂 

I was going to sell my old PC but realised, as tech loses value so quickly I wouldnt get even a quarter of the price it cost to build. I was wondering what to do with it & saw a video about turning an old PC into a NAS (Network attached Storage). It means I can use it as a mass storage device which I can also access remotely from anywhere, its basically my own personal cloud server. I'll be running RAID on it but have yet to decide whether to go for RAID 1 or RAID 5.
This is also going to save me a fair bit of money in the long run. Online cloud storage from the likes of Amazon, Google, iCloud etc varies but is approx £8-£10 per month per 2TB, they all do deals but this is an approx average. So thats say £100 per year, 10TB £1000, we can all do the maths (The cost of 50TB for a year will cost me more or less the build of my entire new system. Not that theres enough clear nights in a lifetime of uk imaging for that but you get the general idea , thats how im justifying it to myself, so before anyone comments, please let me have that🤣)......Anyway not cheap by a long shot.
I've never done the NAS thing before so I'm really looking foreword to the process plus it'll keep my brain occupied whilst all these grim storms continue battering the uk (theres yet another going on now). Anyway, I apologise as I realise i've been rambling which is a symptom of my weather induced boredom at the moment 😂

Here are some photos of the case, motherboard & my current set up (not very exciting to most people but VERY exciting to me 🥳), in the set up photo the new case is there to gauge space i'll be needing, my present PC is the glowing thing sat underneath the desk. Next Friday i'll be ordering my water cooled CPU radiator, power supply unit & a 3rd monitor which will be bigger than the other 2 & used as my main screen with the smaller 2 monitors at either side. Photos of those to follow but without the encyclopaedic narrative 😴😴🤣

Thanks for ploughing through this

Steve

272872689_10228471086390541_4155817556932194757_n.jpg

272901985_10228471087270563_193448659318225738_n.jpg

273501137_10228522687200529_4257527372993116129_n.jpg

• Like 14

He brought an ANTARES f/6.3 FOCAL REDUCER / FLATTENER for my f/10 Celestron 8SE.  

Fitted it, using the 2" star diagonal.  

Desperate to put it use to find out exactly how it will change the viewing experience with a large aperture, GoTo telescope.

Report to follow.  Eventually!

Doug.

SCT with Focal Reducer & 2 Inch Diagonal.JPG

• Like 12

No pictures as yet apart from the stock ones, too busy having fun with one of these....

61lN5lcVOTL._AC_SL1000_.jpg.4d5eeed1b7882a5999306152e3016996.jpg

I am printing "fixes" for some of the machines flaws at the moment but have a huge list of things I need for Astro/Microscopy/DSLR and of course the silly things too.

Alan

Edited by Alien 13
  • Like 12

It’s a good Friday when an ES 2” eyepiece arrives in the post - maybe at some point the clouds will recede sufficiently to actually get to try it! Note the posts above about what to do with so few clear skies  - love the PC project from @nephilim! Enhancing my start to the weekend further, enjoyed a superb talk hosted by my local (York) astronomy society this evening on the stellar origins of the chemical elements. Nothing observational but fuel for the brain… Happy Friday!

EC6671B0-3E1E-41EC-9F31-403103B9AA63.thumb.jpeg.28d64b45f0830e4fb57695246d78f6d0.jpeg

• Like 12

Tuesday of this week was a Happy Day for me, but not for my wife (when she saw what had arrived LOL).  I had been pondering on getting the TS-Optics Photoline 115 ED Triplet for the last 3 years, however after Brexit the shipping/tax costs from dealers in Germany put me off pulling the trigger.  Then recently, I noticed that the UK website of Altair Astro Limited had the scope listed under it's refractors (£1,205.20 inc delivery), so I put my order in, and I am pleased to now be the proud owner.
It is a beautiful telescope indeed and mounted on my NEQ6 , I have a BIG problem in that I just can't stop looking at it !! 
It is very heavy towards the objective end and I will need to take some careful time in getting it balanced right.  The objective lens looks perfect.  I am going to get a carry-handle for it, which I can then slot a guide scope onto as well.
So if you are wondering why we have this stormy weather, you can blame me !!

Regards,
Steve

SSC_0495-1.jpg

SSC_0504-3.jpg

SSC_0496-2.jpg

• Like 22

7 hours ago, PembrokeSteve said:

Tuesday of this week was a Happy Day for me, but not for my wife (when she saw what had arrived LOL).  I had been pondering on getting the TS-Optics Photoline 115 ED Triplet for the last 3 years, however after Brexit the shipping/tax costs from dealers in Germany put me off pulling the trigger.  Then recently, I noticed that the UK website of Altair Astro Limited had the scope listed under it's refractors (£1,205.20 inc delivery), so I put my order in, and I am pleased to now be the proud owner.
It is a beautiful telescope indeed and mounted on my NEQ6 , I have a BIG problem in that I just can't stop looking at it !! 
It is very heavy towards the objective end and I will need to take some careful time in getting it balanced right.  The objective lens looks perfect.  I am going to get a carry-handle for it, which I can then slot a guide scope onto as well.

Regards,
Steve

SSC_0495-1.jpg

SSC_0504-3.jpg

SSC_0496-2.jpg

I agree, looks a lovely bit of kit! I'm a real fan of the matte powder coated finishes on telescopes. When I moved up from my little Redcat to a larger refractor the first thing that shocked me was the front heaviness too! 

I have a carry handle on my refractor too and it makes it so much easier for lifting  onto the mount and gives you something to hold when sliding it back and forth for balancing declination. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, PembrokeSteve said:

Regards,
Steve

SSC_0495-1.jpg

SSC_0504-3.jpg

SSC_0496-2.jpg

1 hour ago, wulfrun said:

Postie brought me this, courtesy of the classifieds and an impeccable service from @Clavius D

Needless to say, last night was clear with howling wind but today is just grim!

20220219_104642.jpg

That’s a lovely piece of kit. I’m envious. One day, when I retire, my dream is to get a good refractor, and that fits the bill. Hopefully it will be clear and calm (no 50kph winds!) for you soon to enjoy it.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, PembrokeSteve said:

Regards,
Steve

SSC_0495-1.jpg

SSC_0504-3.jpg

SSC_0496-2.jpg

Beautiful scope…but I would consider putting a losmandy dovetail on the bottom of that rather than the vixen type, it will be a lot less prone to flexure and generally more solid, as it’s a good size scope…👍🏼

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wulfrun said:

I forgot to post this one, it arrived a couple days ago. Thought it was about time to invest in some comfort...

20220219_163358.jpg

I've got the same... love it (even though my daughter thought it was some sort of ironing board) 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, callisto said:

I've got the same... love it (even though my daughter thought it was some sort of ironing board) 🤣

A friend reckons it's shaped like a fish...OK, squint a lot and I follow that idea. What did you do with (seeming like) 10m of surplus belting?

Edited by wulfrun
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, wulfrun said:

My friend reckons it's shaped like a fish...OK, squint a lot and I follow that idea. What did you do with (seeming like) 10m of surplus belting?

Folded it together and stuck 2 pegs on it 😄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Astro_Dad said:

It’s a good Friday when an ES 2” eyepiece arrives in the post - maybe at some point the clouds will recede sufficiently to actually get to try it! Note the posts above about what to do with so few clear skies  - love the PC project from @nephilim! Enhancing my start to the weekend further, enjoyed a superb talk hosted by my local (York) astronomy society this evening on the stellar origins of the chemical elements. Nothing observational but fuel for the brain… Happy Friday!

EC6671B0-3E1E-41EC-9F31-403103B9AA63.thumb.jpeg.28d64b45f0830e4fb57695246d78f6d0.jpeg

@Astro_Dad Cheers, it'll keep me busy for the next couple of months. Thats a nice EP by the way, I dont do any visual these days but i'm pretty sure there will be a time when I get back into it.

Steve

• Like 1

On 11/02/2022 at 11:23, Davesellars said:

Expanding my astronomy library...  Just received a used (like new) copy of Atlas of the Night Sky by Storm Dunlop.  Since I've just got into lunar observation and peeked my interest considerably I mainly purchased this as it has quite an extensive section for the Moon and maps illustrated by Antonin Rukl since his book, Atlas of the Moon is a ridiculous price.  Also winging its way here is the 21st Century Atlas of the Moon (Charles Wood).

I have this same book Dave, and it's excellent. High quality atlas, great graphics, excellent star maps and as you say, one of the highlights is the Lunar section..I particularly like the different formats for reflectors and refractors, showing you the exact view you will see depending on your scope type -  makes it much easier to recognise features!

I paid £12 for mine in mint condition 18 months ago..but I see you can pick one up online in great used condition for less than that at the moment..a bargain!👍

Dave

• Like 3