Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

2 hours ago, wormix said:

One issue I have now is the cooler doesn’t seem to be working, that’s probably a driver issue I guess.

It probably is an older model without set point cooling which runs to the max. APT has no way of knowing what the Tec is doing. So feel the casing of the camera after 5-10 minutes, and if it is a bit warm, then the cooling works fine.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, R26 oldtimer said:

It probably is an older model without set point cooling which runs to the max. APT has no way of knowing what the Tec is doing. So feel the casing of the camera after 5-10 minutes, and if it is a bit warm, then the cooling works fine.

Thanks, I was beginning to suspect this as it warms up very quickly. 

Astoundingly it arrived this morning and I have clear skies here this evening so will hopefully get first light with it on its first day!  Be interesting to see how it compares to my unmodified 600d

I received a nice brand new Celestron Omni 32mm plossl today..bought to make a matched low power binoviewing pair to go with my existing Morpheus 17.5mm pair.

The Omni's are actually very nicely made eyepieces: they have nice large eye lenses with very well applied greenish coatings, a nice knurled type rubber grip on the barrel and pretty lightweight too.

I had a quick first look tonight on the Moon and Mars. The latter was very bright indeed, too small an image scale to see much detail, but sharp. The Moon looked superb, with loads of sharp detail, great contrast and natural colour rendition.

I'm very pleased with this pair!

Dave

IMG_20201026_205653153.jpg

IMG_20201026_205922637.jpg

IMG_20201026_205910380.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, F15Rules said:

I received a nice brand new Celestron Omni 32mm plossl today..bought to make a matched low power binoviewing pair to go with my existing Morpheus 17.5mm pair.

The Omni's are actually very nicely made eyepieces: they have nice large eye lenses with very well applied greenish coatings, a nice knurled type rubber grip on the barrel and pretty lightweight too.

I had a quick first look tonight on the Moon and Mars. The latter was very bright indeed, too small an image scale to see much detail, but sharp. The Moon looked superb, with loads of sharp detail, great contrast and natural colour rendition.

Dave

I have a pair of these as well Dave and they make a very nice BV pair indeed.

I'm sure that you'll enjoy them.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Knighty2112 said:

Just curious John. Where did you source your CC6 radius blocks from? Was it a UK site, or from the US?

From ADM in the US.

FLO sells the radius blocks and dovetail bar set. Perhaps worth asking if FLO could order in the radius blocks only. Sure it would be cheaper. Got hit with a £15.00 customs and handling fee. 🤬

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adm-mini-dovetail-series/adm-mds-rc6-mds-series-dovetail-bar-for-6-rc-telescope.html

36 minutes ago, Paul M said:

The belt mod kit for my NEQ6 Pro arrived today, along with the bearing removal tool.

Do let us know how you get on.  I did this mod over the summer, but I'm really not sure I've got the worms set up perfectly yet.  Unfortunately since I did the mod I've not really had sufficient time for experimentation.

James

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, JamesF said:

Do let us know how you get on. 

Sure will. I've read various blogs on this mod over the years, including the definitive Astro Baby tutorial from back in the day. And, and! the kit came with a wodge of instructions! 

What could possibly go wrong?  🤩

17 hours ago, F15Rules said:

Dave

Those look very nicely made. 

• Like 1

Not technically brought by the postman, I had to collect in person😊.

A nice oldish Helios Evolution 90mm F10 refractor (forerunner of the Skywatcher Evostar) for grab and go. It is in really nice condition, very lightweight and with a nice smooth focuser, which I've enhanced with a couple of spare Tak FS focuser knobs!

The 90mm is a worthwhile upgrade to an 80mm, but slimmer than a 100mm, and the few reviews I have seen or heard of this scope were very positive.

I gave the scope a good clean and took the objective out to clean both sides. It's a cemented doublet and has cleaned up beautifully. Just need to drill out two new Tak mount compatible holes on the dovetail, but am planning to get a lightweight altaz mount to go with it..

Pleasantly surprised at the decent build quality, and with an application of Renaissance wax it has come up very nicely👍

Dave

PS: I'm not planning to get a handle for this scope, before anyone asks!!😋

IMG_20201027_171448059.jpg

IMG_20201027_170945030.jpg

IMG_20201027_164239813.jpg

IMG_20201027_164232215.jpg

Edited by F15Rules
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, F15Rules said:

Not technically brought by the postman, I had to collect in person😊.

A nice oldish Helios Evolution 90mm F10 refractor (forerunner of the Skywatcher Evostar) for grab and go.

Looks very nice Dave.

Couple of things missing:

1. The remaining F/5?

2. Lick mark on the OG.

Oh, and have you thought about a handle?

🤣

• Haha 3

Thanks Jeremy!

1. As I'm slowly shrinking as I get older, F10 probably better represents my physical reality than F15...

2. I prefer to clean off other people's lick marks than to add my own..

And finally...

"Oh, and have you thought about a handle?"

2 hours ago, F15Rules said:

PS: I'm not planning to get a handle for this scope, before anyone asks!!😋

Do please a chap's entire post before replying, old chap :cussing:  😋  😁

Dave

Edited by F15Rules
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

Thanks Jeremy!

1. As I'm slowly shrinking as I get older, F10 probably better represents my physical reality than F15...

2. I prefer to clean off other people's lick marks than to add my own..

And finally...

"Oh, and have you thought about a handle?"

Do please a chap's entire post before replying, old chap :cussing:  😋  😁

Dave

Nope, I did read it all Old boy 🤣

Edited by JeremyS