Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

Thinking of future plans and with their prices discounted so much at the mo...
image.png.89f3ea3c931b0c65abcf57598a64c29b.png

I already have the 8-24mm zoom but when I pass a scope on to my daughter I thought the 7-21mm would be handy to go with it along with a good diagonal. Also decided to join in with astro-themed masks in part because I wanted a couple new ones that are a more comfortable fit.

Sorry Nigella, that'll be total cloud for a couple days then, tho not only down to me 😄 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DaveL59 said:

I already have the 8-24mm zoom but when I pass a scope on to my daughter I thought the 7-21mm would be handy to go with it along with a good diagonal. Also decided to join in with astro-themed masks in part because I wanted a couple new ones that are a more comfortable fit.

Sorry Nigella, that'll be total cloud for a couple days then, tho not only down to me 😄 

They are lovely diagonals aren't they - I have had one for several months, but are they really dielectric ones ? Svbony say they are, but not according to Amazon. Also some reviewers think not - how do you tell?

David

18 minutes ago, MrFreeze said:

They are lovely diagonals aren't they - I have had one for several months, but are they really dielectric ones ? Svbony say they are, but not according to Amazon. Also some reviewers think not - how do you tell?

David

It is very solid but I've no idea how you tell if it really is dielectric. I kinda posed that first time around but nobody suggested how you can assess to verify the claim on their shop page. Either way it works, clear and bright image, very solid, takes filters which is useful for the variable polariser and for USD 30, what's not to like 😉

2 hours ago, DaveL59 said:

Thanks a lot Dave, how could you. Very disappointed, lol. 

• Haha 1

On 24/10/2020 at 13:06, faulksy said:

no pics yet. but my wife ordered me a new secondary mirror from antares. 4.0" 1/30 cant wait. well excited

pics soon. its in London , ready for courier  so should get it soon 🤣. can you tell im excited

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, merlin100 said:

Bob's Knobs from Auntie @FLO and a Telrad Finder from 365Astronomy.

20201102_123418.jpg

20201102_123503.jpg

Thanks for posting this, I've been looking for another Telrad & 'everywhere' was sold out but I totally forgot about 365.

I sold mine a few years ago having lost my astro motivation but I've now found it again😁  After owning one I can never go back to an alternative as the Telrad imo is the best thing for the job even though it seems the most simple idea.

Edited by nephilim

Right.... if I *still* have cold hands now I’ve got these then I am quitting this hobby for something I can do in front of a warm fire!!

I’ve bought plenty of gloves over the years and they’ve never worked ideally, so with some cold nights soon we’ll have to see how these cope...... fingers crossed 😉

Peter

5A526C22-3ED1-47F6-BD57-E79159D3DCDD.jpeg

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Right.... if I *still* have cold hands now I’ve got these then I am quitting this hobby for something I can do in front of a warm fire!!

I’ve bought plenty of gloves over the years and they’ve never worked ideally, so with some cold nights soon we’ll have to see how these cope...... fingers crossed 😉

Peter

Perhaps a move to remote-controlled mount and EEVA so you can sit indoors and enjoy?

I've sometimes thought that but cost keeps me from trying the idea out, not to discount the fact too that seeing it with your own eye(s) in the eyepiece has a definite WOW factor that's hard to beat 🙂

1 hour ago, nephilim said:

Thanks for posting this, I've been looking for another Telrad & 'everywhere' was sold out but I totally forgot about 365.

I sold mine a few years ago having lost my astro motivation but I've now found it again😁  After owning one I can never go back to an alternative as the Telrad imo is the best thing for the job even though it seems the most simple idea.

It says they've still got 5 in stock, it also said that before I made my purchase...

Edited by Guest

31 minutes ago, DaveL59 said:

Perhaps a move to remote-controlled mount and EEVA so you can sit indoors and enjoy?

I've sometimes thought that but cost keeps me from trying the idea out, not to discount the fact too that seeing it with your own eye(s) in the eyepiece has a definite WOW factor that's hard to beat 🙂

No chance! EEVA is no better than surfing the Internet, and processing images is just artistry (unless you’re looking for novae/comets etc and doing science). I went for NV as large reflectors don’t fit my life style, so I have committed to an outdoor life. I have the feet sorted, the head, recently *sorted* trousers, now hopefully the hands... I can layer up a coat, but might go downfilled..... if Boris let’s me go try one on to sort the sizing.

Peter

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PeterW said:

Peter

Fingers crossed 🤞?

can you actually cross your fingers in those 🙂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

No chance! EEVA is no better than surfing the Internet, and processing images is just artistry (unless you’re looking for novae/comets etc and doing science). I went for NV as large reflectors don’t fit my life style, so I have committed to an outdoor life. I have the feet sorted, the head, recently *sorted* trousers, now hopefully the hands... I can layer up a coat, but might go downfilled..... if Boris let’s me go try one on to sort the sizing.

Peter

Sleeping bag with arm holes cut out. 

• Haha 1

this morning the nice man in red knocked at the door and handed me a box freshly arrived from the US. Inside were these

image.png.f91e7ab1bbca8502bcb762bee2ddd1b8.png

Hopefully will make the LT70AZ more usable at least removing the huge wobbles when focusing 🙂 Bought 2 as I may pop one onto the TAL100RS and should work on the SW130 too and even the wee NG 76/350. Not sure it'd work with the TAL-1 but that scope is pretty stable anyway.

• Like 4

Haven't bought much for astro for a few months, been too busy with work but should have some more free nights now, so got these few bits from @FLO

Dew controller (for the AstroZap heated dew shield for Mak127)

Another of those really handy little red light torches (this one to keep in my eyepiece case)

Pair of 6mm Baader Classic Ortho (for binoviewing) 👍

Astro_Stuff_03_Nov_2020.jpg

Edited by HollyHound
  • Like 6

I remember my father had a pair of these when I was little, and they were really wonderful, but seemed very heavy. I have a pair of the 8 x 30s, but have been looking for a decent pair of Zeiss 10 x 50s for a long time.

David

1604428793170205497436.jpg

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, MrFreeze said:

I remember my father had a pair of these when I was little, and they were really wonderful, but seemed very heavy. I have a pair of the 8 x 30s, but have been looking for a decent pair of Zeiss 10 x 50s for a long time.

David

1604428793170205497436.jpg

They look in very good condition, 1Q too so an export quality model, don't even look like they've ever been used. Serial number would give the approx year if that matters. Worth making sure the leather straps are good and give them a leather feed so they don't suddenly fail when you're not expecting it 🙂 

Edited by DaveL59
  • Like 1

They have been used, just not very much. The leather straps seem fine - I'll have to dig out my leather oil that I had for my leathers when I was a biker. Serial no. is 3779190, so I make that 1970 which would be round about the time my father bought his. Too early for the multi-coated optics unfortunately, but they give a very clear image despite the slight internal condensation from being in the cold for the last couple of days. Jupiter looks good, but I can't resolve the rings on Saturn although it doesn't look round. Just been twigging SWMBO that she was only 3 years old when these were made.🤣

David

• Like 1