Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

Laptop exclusively for running my up & coming AP setup. HP Probook 620 i5. I bought this refurbished & it hasn't a mark on it. I used their upgrade option so 8GB RAM, 250GB NVMe SSD, 2x USB 3.0 1x USB-C. Post processing will be done on my desktop pc so this is solely for the imaging process & Mount/ camera etc control.

Bought from Stone Refurb, I wrote a review in the Supplier section as they've been great to do business with, even honouring a promotion that I didn't cotton on to until I'd bought it after I emailed them about it. No arguments & the 13% discount (£39) was put straight into my account so full cost was £263 which I'm very happy with 😁

IMG-20201104-WA0002.jpeg

Edited by nephilim
  • Like 6

20 hours ago, Dark Vader said:

Just had a couple of BST Starguiders from the postie 😀 now for a clear night without an early morning start to try them out.

20201104_141614.jpg

Enjoy :) I remember when I first tried my new BST's , the sight at the eyepiece compared to the stock eyepieces that came with the scope was brilliant.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, wormix said:

It’s arrived!  After nearly 8 week wait, fortunately it’s been wet for each of those 8 weeks so didn’t need it. 

Bigger than I was expecting - now need to assess whether this one went through QC 

A little DIY project idea for you.

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Dark Vader said:

Just had a couple of BST Starguiders from the postie 😀 now for a clear night without an early morning start to try them out.

20201104_141614.jpg

Two smart eye pieces there. I was using my 5mm BST on Mars a couple of nights ago. It gave some great views.

The 15mm BST was a favorite in the range for me. It gave a pleasant x80 low power in my 200p

Baz

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It must be lockdown... I've had two fantastic deliveries this morning, I'm going to make the most of the long winter nights ahead 👍

Firstly, a ZWO ASiair Pro & ASI120MM-Mini Bundle... never tried any form of imaging or EEVA, but want to give it a little go (yes, I know it will be all consuming 🤣), so this (along with my DSLR) should be a good entry for a total beginner... the 120MM is normally used for guiding as I understand it, but also makes a decent mono lunar/planetary camera for beginners🤞

ZWo Asiair Pro & 120mm.jpg

Edited by HollyHound

And secondly, at long last, after deliberating for almost a year... finally got a Dob... a Bresser 10". Seems highly recommended and can't wait to give it a go. I remember first time seeing the Orion Nebula with my little Mak 102 last Christmas and want to compare how it looks through this 🤞

Unfortunately, might be a few days before I get it setup, as I've got a sprained shoulder this week, so advised not to move heavy items... and this thing is not light... probably take me a day to assemble the base unit anyway 🤣

Bresser_Dob_10.jpg

• Like 6

21 hours ago, Dark Vader said:

20201104_141614.jpg

Lovely. The 15mm BST is probably my favourite EP in the whole range and barlows really well. The 5mm gives some fantastic views of Mars when conditions allow and works wonderfully on the moon. 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's great, I saw a few reviews saying the 15mm was a good one.

Had some good views of the moon last week with a cheap Celestron 6mm but I struggle with the small eye holes - like looking through a drinking straw!!

Mars - I've not had good views yet. Largely very wobbly with the odd second or so of "almost" stability so far.

Andy

Recently i've been taking a few photos with my Mobile phone through the eyepiece and using a little photoshop creativity made them half decent (although maybe not accurate!) so went old school and ordered some prints from Boots - 5p a photo so nothing to lose and they actually turned out rather well. The attic is my shed so lots of space to decorate. Not sure if the boy will be so pleased when he's back from Uni though.

room1.png

room.png

• Like 6

On 04/11/2020 at 14:22, Dark Vader said:

20201104_141614.jpg

I have the full set and can't see me parting with them.😉

3 hours ago, Dean Hale said:

Recently i've been taking a few photos with my Mobile phone through the eyepiece and using a little photoshop creativity made them half decent (although maybe not accurate!) so went old school and ordered some prints from Boots - 5p a photo so nothing to lose and they actually turned out rather well. The attic is my shed so lots of space to decorate. Not sure if the boy will be so pleased when he's back from Uni though.

room1.png

room.png

I love how the Moon in the picture frame is off centre. Not often you see that in images.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yah - at last. Now my EQ2 will be a bit lighter! I use it with my 127mm Maksutov, and the stock weight isn't quite heavy enough to balance it, so I have been using an additional EQ3 counterweight, sleeved to fit the narrower shaft of the EQ2. This makes it considerably heavier than it needs to be.

Yes I know the spare EQ3 would probably be a better mount, but the tripod has vanished - it's 'somewhere safe' in the loft! Also the EQ2 is fitted with a better saddle clamp and is motorised, and the spare EQ3 isn't.

The barlow I've wanted to try for a while as apparently it performs well with the Hyperflex zoom. Cross fingers it stays clear and I can use it on Mars a bit later tonight.

David

16046003722111556521803.jpg

• Like 4

7 hours ago, HollyHound said:

And secondly, at long last, after deliberating for almost a year... finally got a Dob... a Bresser 10". Seems highly recommended and can't wait to give it a go. I remember first time seeing the Orion Nebula with my little Mak 102 last Christmas and want to compare how it looks through this 🤞

Unfortunately, might be a few days before I get it setup, as I've got a sprained shoulder this week, so advised not to move heavy items... and this thing is not light... probably take me a day to assemble the base unit anyway 🤣

Bresser_Dob_10.jpg

my wifes will be here tomorrow from Flo. was hoping to see some pics. she is well excited

shame about your shoulder

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, faulksy said:

my wifes will be here tomorrow from Flo. was hoping to see some pics. she is well excited

shame about your shoulder

Well, I took a few painkillers, bit the bullet and put it together... even managed a quick 30 mins under the stars, very impressed... will try a longer second first light tomorrow if the sky is clear and post a report 👍

Oh and as a teaser, here’s a quick photo, excuse the mess, the room is full of stuff right now🤣

D3BF020B-9218-4189-98DF-D2EDE9A833D4.jpeg

and with dog for scale 😀

22A07BDB-38CC-4CCB-AD9B-A7E68856089F.jpeg

Edited by HollyHound
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I got the Rowan Belt Mod for my HEQ5 Pro a few days ago. Got around to installing it today. Looking forward to giving this a run and seeing the difference it makes. 😀

flo.thumb.jpg.51aa7319014783db64414e1dd9e6f83b.jpg

rbm.jpg

Edited by Jamgood
  • Like 3