Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

today received some m5x25mm nylon thumbscrews which replace the originals in the 50mm finder holder that arrived a couple days back. The originals were too short to work with the TAL 6x finder I wanted to use it with. Trimmed 6 nylon screws with precision cutters and moved the locator ring on the finder to match the spacing and there it is done.

image.png.dfb404198fcfdcfd0233288fb92da812.png

It'll neatly fit a Synta holder tho it'll likely end up on the vintage 3-inch frac rather than the SW130.

Edited by DaveL59
  • Like 6

4 hours ago, banjaxed said:

They are rechargeable so the batteries don’t need changing. You can also charge your phone and they have a built in light.

I meant once the batteries get to the end of their useful life and no longer hold a useful charge. A problem with rechargeable batteries.

1 hour ago, DaveL59 said:

today received some m5x25mm nylon thumbscrews which replace the originals in the 50mm finder holder that arrived a couple days back. The originals were too short to work with the TAL 6x finder I wanted to use it with. Trimmed 6 nylon screws with precision cutters and moved the locator ring on the finder to match the spacing and there it is done.

image.png.dfb404198fcfdcfd0233288fb92da812.png

It'll neatly fit a Synta holder tho it'll likely end up on the vintage 3-inch frac rather than the SW130.

haha- I just ordered m4 of the same for the bird jones thing the starsense is attached to- the image isn’t so terrible in the middle with decent eps but the chrome metal focuser tube screws should really be illegal!

Mark

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, markse68 said:

haha- I just ordered m4 of the same for the bird jones thing the starsense is attached to- the image isn’t so terrible in the middle with decent eps but the chrome metal focuser tube screws should really be illegal!

Mark

heh yeah I replace these on most things, hence I buy packs of 20/25's longer than needed. Real easy to snip to length with those cutters 🙂

At least that scope is usable, same re the LT70 which is actually pretty good image wise. Be handy to lob in the car and being so light is the easiest to pick up and have a quick peek in the garden too. I've got the Philips SPC900 on it at the mo, was hoping to try get mars but so far cloud, cloud, rain... 😄 

Edited by DaveL59
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DaveL59 said:

heh yeah I replace these on most things, hence I buy packs of 20/25's longer than needed. Real easy to snip to length with those cutters 🙂

At least that scope is usable, same re the LT70 which is actually pretty good image wise. Be handy to lob in the car and being so light is the easiest to pick up and have a quick peek in the garden too. I've got the Philips SPC900 on it at the mo, was hoping to try get mars but so far cloud, cloud, rain... 😄 

I tell you what Dave, I was quite surprised what a nice crisp dark pink disk it made of mars- dark markings visible too. It was only at 100x so not a big challenge and tiny compared to what i’m used to, but pleasantly surprising. The edges go very soft so the moon didn’t look good filling frame at all. I had planned to sell it on or give it away but might look into trying to improve it 😉

Mark

• Like 2

Mostly I've been sending stuff out lately, clearing the decks, as it were.

I did treat myself to this though to partner my 2 inch Lumicon O-III. Looking forward to trying this on the Autumn / Winter nebulae including good old Messier 42 of course :smiley:

20201030_113326.jpg

Edited by John
  • Like 12

On 28/10/2020 at 22:42, JamesF said:

Insulated clothing already?!  I'm still wearing shorts and t-shirts most of the day (I have preferred something longer to keep my knees warm in the evening for the last couple of weeks, I admit).  And no, I am not a postie :D

James

Same here, Shorts and t-shirt most of the time, I dont tend to feel the cold to much, These socks were in the bargain bin at a local builders merchant so I thought I would snap a pair up for the cold months ahead!

Postie delivered:

• an empty baader filter box (for my DGM NPB which comes in a nice case but it doesn't tessellate with all my other cases)
  • an artificial star (which seems to just be a cheap torch with some holes in the end but it works ok)
  • some of Robert's very handy collimation buttons (I'll call him Bob when I get to know him better)

image.thumb.png.c8a064c60ca15aa85bb1f4aa4df31e47.png

Edited by globular
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, globular said:

Postie delivered:

• an empty baader filter box (for my DGM NPB which comes in a nice case but it doesn't tessellate with all my other cases)
  • an artificial star (which seems to just be a cheap torch with some holes in the end but it works ok)
  • some of Robert's very handy collimation buttons (I'll call him Bob when I get to know him better)

image.thumb.png.c8a064c60ca15aa85bb1f4aa4df31e47.png

I have one of those "artificial stars". Despite being a simple design, it does work pretty well I'm pleased to say :smiley:

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, John said:

I have one of those "artificial stars". Despite being a simple design, it does work pretty well I'm pleased to say :smiley:

Sometimes the simple answers are better than the complicated ones 😉

Edited by globular
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Getting towards winter when FLO will change the labels. 🙂

Got this one last winter. 🙀

03B814C3-735C-40CE-BE80-E6075E52B252.jpeg

I dearly wish we could get some snow this year... followed by some crisp, dry dark skies for viewing Orion..luvly jubbly!👍😁

Dave

• Like 3

I found this on the bottom of my Sky-Watcher 200P box recently, when I got back from the New Galloway Star Camp. I had thought I was missing out on not having one! 🤣

20201029_104559.jpg

Shiny new Televue Paracorr arrived today, along with about half of the bits for my off-axis guiding setup! Also got a Rigel Aline, a Televue 2" extension tube to replace a decidedly poor Sky-watcher bundled one I got with the telescope, and a ADM camera mount so I can pop the Nikon on the back of the scope in lieu of the guidescope for some widefield shooting.

Lots of careful dust removal to look forward to soon as I dismantle the optical train and rejig it all...

• Like 2

On 29/10/2020 at 15:25, RobertI said:

7344DCE2-1846-4196-BE8B-883647639E17.thumb.jpeg.c2fa61f779c1e159fb9dfe0fd177a399.jpeg

For my recent FLO delivery the postman acted very strangely. He left it on the doorstep and stood right back on the footpath until I got to the door. I think he's allergic to clouds....

• Haha 1