SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

19 hours ago, HollyHound said:

Well, I took a few painkillers, bit the bullet and put it together... even managed a quick 30 mins under the stars, very impressed... will try a longer second first light tomorrow if the sky is clear and post a report 👍

Oh and as a teaser, here’s a quick photo, excuse the mess, the room is full of stuff right now🤣

D3BF020B-9218-4189-98DF-D2EDE9A833D4.jpeg

and with dog for scale 😀

22A07BDB-38CC-4CCB-AD9B-A7E68856089F.jpeg

thank you so much. was it good ?

my wifes dob is here

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, faulksy said:

New secondary for my 20" dob.

How thick is that 

20201107_175510.jpg

😳 wowsers! that’s bigger than many primaries!  Hope it makes all the difference you’re hoping it will- when i changed the secondary in my little dob it turned it into a completely different beast! Best thing I’ve done to it 👍

Mark

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, HollyHound said:

These arrived today for the new Bresser 10" dob...

Bresser fine focus knob upgrade kit

Collimation cap (good enough to check initial collimation, which seems ok anyway)... have a Cheshire Collimator on its way too for next week.

Bresser_FineFocus_and_CollimationCap.jpg

That'll be a good improvement for your focuser. very pleased with the one i have.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, markse68 said:

lots and  lots of project parts

Intriguing. I can see a phone holder starsense thingy, and lots of EP caps, but something toothed? and a double thingy... not making some binos surely? 

25 minutes ago, globular said:

Intriguing. I can see a phone holder starsense thingy, and lots of EP caps, but something toothed? and a double thingy... not making some binos surely? 

Maybe 😉 just need to find a second teleconverter for them now- missed one the other day when i forgot to bid 🤦‍♂️....

I’m most excited about the starsense thingy though- it’s looking good and there maybe a chance of a clearing in the cloud to try it out later tonight 😃

I got a bit fed up with the Pentax XW caps that are just a bit too short to make a positive connection with the eyecup unless you kind of really press them or screw them in- these are a bit longer, fit better and are individually numbered :)

Mark

E6178919-8ABC-4762-8CAC-16BE9E9D0009.jpeg

EDF12DF1-6821-47AD-8302-721058533A4B.jpeg

5FB955E3-C4B4-4990-9449-C2BB267E9F6A.jpeg

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, markse68 said:

I’m most excited about the starsense thingy though- it’s looking good and there maybe a chance of a clearing in the cloud to try it out later tonight 😃

I got a bit fed up with the Pentax XW caps that are just a bit too short to make a positive connection with the eyecup unless you kind of really press them or screw them in- these are a bit longer, fit better and are individually numbered :)

Impressive! All looks very professional :thumbright:

I totally agree about the XW caps! - you can't run me off some for my XW40 could you? 😊😇

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, globular said:

I totally agree about the XW caps! - you can't run me off some for my XW40 could you? 😊😇

Sure I can Glob :) It’ll have to wait till we next do a print run i can squeeze it into but yes i will 👍

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, globular said:

When I had the Pentax XW40, it was great, but that eyecup was a fiddle to get on and off... very good idea 👍

28 minutes ago, tonylumley said:

AndyThilo  yea, mine arrived yesterday too, didn't realise quite how much heavier the tripod is compared to my eq5, Many thanks to  good old First Light Optics, now watch the clouds roll in over Essex lol 

They told me they weren't getting any in! Yes the whole thing is massive compared to a EQ5 :D. No clear skies here now for another week :(

• Haha 1

One of the last Mohicans....

DSC_0105.thumb.JPG.22c8b4f5cf04fb15cfd87cb5cf0a8f5e.JPG

The famous Docter 84° UWA 12.5 mmf arrived yesterday. For years, I've been lurking around this extraordinary eyepiece, but could not make a decision to buy. Oct. 21st, the CloudyNights forum announced, that the Zeiss (East) successor Docter in Eisfeld sadly is going bankrupt - so I decided to take the last chance to buy the UWA. All retailers in Germany were sold out, but Intercon Spacetec offered a demo model in excellent condition. This will expand my line of 84° eyepieces (Maxvision 24 mmf and 18mmf) to the shorter focal lengths. In the evening, I tried it with the 18" and the 8" f/4 to check the possibility to get into focus (even with 2x Barlow) - no problems. With the 8", at mag 64x and 1.33° FoV, I got very sharp views of the Double cluster (including the "Smiling Cyclops"); M 15 in the 18" (mag164; FoV 0.5°) was already down in the upcoming fog; so just a short look at it - promising. Very happy with the Docter - and I'll always easily remember it's delivery date for obvious reasons.

Stephan

Edited by Nyctimene
  • Like 9