SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

On 16/10/2020 at 18:49, garryblueboy said:

Well not the postman I collected it thought I’d re visit one of these again 

9D074D89-0E56-4416-B0EA-99A93BC730AF.jpeg

8822838A-E40B-4F9F-B64D-B8FB8B8FC1CA.jpeg

That’s a beauty Garry. I know we shouldn’t be too bothered by looks but have always loved the design of the Edge series. I’d very happily reacquire the 8” I had if I only had the space for it.

41 minutes ago, Highburymark said:

That’s a beauty Garry. I know we shouldn’t be too bothered by looks but have always loved the design of the Edge series. I’d very happily reacquire the 8” I had if I only had the space for it.

I was after the 9.25 or 8 but this came up and I thought why not I had one couple years back 

A couple of these clonked thru the flap this morning

image.png.9f5fa5d118a66b76d0d5eacd0fcd9dfe.png

2-inch volume control knobs in solid aluminium. Figured they might make a nice upgrade to the focus controls on the TAL100RS and TAL-1. The shaft hole is a tad wider than needed but it does fit, just. Might file a flat in the shaft to help the grub screw achieve a more positive lock but seems secure for the moment.

image.png.c77770e551ebc4f3baa76171271defc8.png
Hopefully will improve fine focus adjustments 🙂 

edit:
Also on the TAL-1 now, used a sliver of acrylic sheet to pack the hole for a better fit

image.png.375450a0295321e3db90dbf6bba4cf26.png

Worst case I can always drill thru with the correct size for the shaft but will see how this works out before jumping down that rabbit hole 🙂 

Edited by DaveL59
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Oh and forgot this JeremyS. 😁

🥳🥳🥳 Handle 🥳🥳🥳for the StellaLyra CC6. Just waiting on the radius blocks to mount the handle.

Thought I heard the ker-ching of the WDS till.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Captain Magenta said:

This arrived, to go on my 300p:

IMG_7608.jpg

I will be really interested to hear your thoughts on the PC Captain.

I am toying with the idea of a coma corrector of some sort for my 300p.

It will be good to hear how sharp your stars are after installing this.

Baz

7 minutes ago, Nigella Bryant said:

And this is why we have cloud and rain until November. Come on, let's stop buying stuff, lol. 

Mine was actually just under two weeks ago and we had clear skies for a couple of nights (honest !)

Heart_air_RGB_session_1_St_DBEarb_edited-1.thumb.jpg.5739cd3355cc401f8a17b6c460b7c23e.jpg

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Barry-W-Fenner said:

Baz

Mostly the unavoidable coma on my newt I've either not noticed or not minded. But that's likely because my lowest power 1.25" eyepiece was 18.2mm giving 82x, enough I guess to miss out most of the coma-affected parts of the image circle. But I've lately got a 24mm and started using my 2" 35mm eyepiece a bit more, for example on the Pleiades, and with those, especially the 35, the coma is really annoying. I'm really excited about this, I'll report back in due course...

M

Edited by Captain Magenta
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Barry-W-Fenner said:

I hear you there Nigella. Weather has been dire! Wallets and purses in pockets people 😂

I do tend to sell or trade before buying something new, BUT it's my birthday on Friday, so look out folks !! ⛈️

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Barry-W-Fenner said:

Baz

Slows the focal ratio of your scope too. I have the explore model that keep the focal ratio the same. Not done a huge amount of assessment with it yet though.

Peter

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Barry-W-Fenner said:

I hear you there Nigella. Weather has been dire! Wallets and purses in pockets people 😂

I'm as guilty as the rest, lol. Problem is the wet and clouds mean more time to peruse the internet for nice astronomical equipment which probably will not get used for months because of the weather, lol. Vicious circle.

• Like 2

From Italy (where else?) comes a natty little astronomy man-bag, and a replacement puck and clamp for the HEQ5 that will stop it chomping on my dovetails.

I didn't realise how BIG that dovetail clamp is - maybe I should have read the label?

Primalucelab.thumb.jpg.82e75d752b9fbc08a82ee4a769cef342.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

Slows the focal ratio of your scope too. I have the explore model that keep the focal ratio the same. Not done a huge amount of assessment with it yet though.

Peter

I will be interested to hear your thoughts after some time assessing Peter. Do you own the PC or a coma corrector for your explorer?

I use an f4 newtonian so the Explore corrector allows me to keep the speed for the field of view. Found I didn’t need it for how I was observing last time. With the corrector I have a long stack of optics looking like a thick broom handle poking out the scope... hazardous!

Peter