Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Show me your eyepiece/accessories case, please.

Leegsi

Anyone know what foam to use for an eyepiece case. Heard some can damage the optics?

I lined my eyepiece case with purple velvet, its looks good, protects the eps from the foam and hides that horrible cubed foam and means you also don't have to be overly precise when cutting the foam.

I have finally re done my eyepiece case,

from the top- BST starguiders 15mm 18mm and 25mm, plus the Baader turret x2.25 barlow

next row- Circle T orthoscopics 5mm 7mm 9mm 12.5mm and room for my 4mm when i get some end caps

bottom row- BGO 18mm, and Circle T 25mm, then Revelation 32mm photo/visual plossl and filter box.

once the 4mm Circle T goes in, its complete

post-8850-0-02175900-1362937738_thumb.jp

sorry not to list...here it is.Meade 3000 plossl set..Japanese ones...carl zeiss 25mm H 16mm ortho 6mm ortho..13mm ethos 2" x2 powermate,filter set and a telescope house 4mm ortho! 21mm ethos and paracorr to be added,there done.

IMG01841 20130116 1411

A small update, but it seems it's starting to get crowded in here. I'm not really happy with only having a single foam cube between items, but if it gets any larger, it's going to start look like carry on luggage. For instance, the arrival of the Altair Astro 2" Coma Corrector has required some rejigging and now the AE Cheshire collimator has had to make way. That's unacceptable, as it is a mandatory inclusion for the beginning of any observing session. :(

Maybe I should consider simply getting the ES100 9, 14 & 20mm to free up some space.

Oh, No! I'm falling into the trap again... :eek:

p3110472.jpg

Edited by russ.will
  • Like 1

Just to add to this long and established thread, im just browsing the web and came across these.

www.spider-engineering.co.uk I searched their new and used section and found some good foam filled cases which could suit the need.

To make it clear thoug, i dont own one (i got mine from maplin) but they look a good alternative : :cool:

• 3 weeks later...

I have to carry 2.. surely im not the only one?

This one is 'main' case; those in my signature. Not sure why I seem to be the only person who stacks them standing up. Front from left to right 4.7, 6.7, 8.8, 11 centre 14, centre top 18, top right 24. space for a 30.. :)

post-19910-0-62301600-1365261806_thumb.j

Other case, all my other bits! some BSTs (5, 18, 25) some plossls (32, 12.5) a barlow, cheshire and laser collimators, 3 filters (solar, neodynium and uhc) and of course the trusty red torch and copy of sky and telescope pocket atlas! As you can see this case has grown over time and as such the foam is a little bit, well, disordered! :)

post-19910-0-48093600-1365261829_thumb.j

Edited by Stargazing00
  • Like 1

Added the XW 7mm, the middle front and middle rear will take the XW 14mm and the XF 12.5mm some time this summer, the choice of foam this type is eFoam.co.uk packagine foam, its a bit on the firm side for my liking so i may go back the medium foam they cost around £10 for either type and they cut to size in my case 19" X 17" X 3" and ordered late Thursday arrived Saturday a.m.

DSC_9619.jpg

Edited by Tinker1947
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

My updated and final glass collection here (yeah right). Three 2" EP's and three Baader Hyperions. I really like the flexibility of the Hyperions. When combined with fine tuning rings, filters and also the fact the 17 gives me a 22mm ep with the first set of lens removed, you effectively have over 16 eyepiece options out of the three. Ok so I won't use them all and some overlap but its nice to have the options available. I might add an 8mm but only if a secondhand "quality" ep comes up although i am not actively looking. I do have a 2" Baader UHC-S filter on order. I sent the Skywatcher one back as i wasn't impressed with the quality of it.

The last piece to arrive was the top left WO 25mm SWA EP. Not used it yet but it feels really nice and if its anything like bigger brother, I know it will be very nice indeed.

The case looks a little messy but I have some new foam arriving and I am going to make it all nice and tidy once i have it.

post-26735-0-60790800-1366636684_thumb.j