Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

On 20/09/2020 at 08:13, johninderby said:

Just a 2” polarizing filter. 

For the new Lacerta wedge ordered from 365astronomy last Tuesday. Still waiting for it to be shipped but due to staff shortages Zoltan is running way behiind in shipping.

D551FC43-6674-4954-AB78-93BFDBF80751.jpeg

Hope you don't wait too long.....My Lacerta Apo took 3 months to arrive :(

52 minutes ago, callisto said:

Got a reply  from 365astronomy this aft.

“Your order is currently being processed. It is difficult to provide a precise date but it should be sent out soon.”

Not delivered but collected... a vintage David Lukehurst dob (~20 yrs old). 12" f/6, with a Norman Oldham 1/4 PtV mirror.

Had a quick go last night and had some nice bright views of Jupiter, mushy seeing but GRS and equatorial bands immediately visible along with startlingly bright Galilean moons. Not the best test of optics but I'm sure they are good and smooth being hand figured. 

It doesn't need much doing to it, a new 2" focuser and a decent finder, and perhaps a mirror recoat sometime soon. The movement on both axes is perfect, even at 250x I could place the target wherever I wanted it on the first nudge with no backlash. 

This should get me back into visual observing!

20200921_200223.jpg

20200921_200254.jpg

• Like 15

1 hour ago, CraigT82 said:

a vintage David Lukehurst dob

Very nice! I got the shivers when I saw where you left your eyepieces though... I know what would happen to me!

I finally took delivery of the field flattener for my new Esprit 80. Apparently supply chains are still in chaos.

• Like 1

Planning for 2021 (the top one still available for £3 from Amazon as somebody noted on SGL 🙂 )

1558260458_IMG_3156(1).jpg.9da7754ef8dc51b2a5f4ea1f36ab633f.jpg

WO 2x Barlow for binoviewers. To give higher mags than the standard 1.6 x. Great results with Mars and the Tak TSA 120 + 8 mm eyepieces (= x 225). Pity it doesn't come with end caps. It would also help if they were each marked as it's quite hard to tell them apart: there is a slight difference in length, but looking through them immediately shows the difference). 

IMG_3155.jpg.c4167b8a596950d0913f1d84e5ac255c.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

How's the overall weight of the tripod, extender and mount Neil? 

Am seriously thinking I should do the same and get the extender to keep some stability while still able to clear the fence, but I leave the rig assembled and hoik the assembled tripod and mount out to the garden as one, with just the OTA removed. Guess I could drop the weights off to make that easier if needs be.

10 minutes ago, Nigella Bryant said:

Thanks, just ordered one for £3 too. Thought I'd get one as this must be the last time Heather Couper will co author as she sadly passed away earlier this year.

Indeed, that was what I was thinking too, Nigella.

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Indeed, that was what I was thinking too, Nigella.

Yea, Heather was a lovely albeit eccentric lady. Loved her teddy bears, lol. Couldn't believe she passed away. Met her a few times at astronomical events. She was an inspiration when I was younger and new to astronomy.

Edited by Nigella Bryant
More comments
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, DaveL59 said:

How's the overall weight of the tripod, extender and mount Neil? 

Am seriously thinking I should do the same and get the extender to keep some stability while still able to clear the fence, but I leave the rig assembled and hoik the assembled tripod and mount out to the garden as one, with just the OTA removed. Guess I could drop the weights off to make that easier if needs be.

Hi i dont find it bad at all i have a bad back and can carry it with ease i remove the mount off the top and just fold legs and put it in a carry bag as one peice  the bag is an old carry bag from a gazebo works a treat 

It will be heavy with mount on as well but i think it would still be do able if you remove balance weights

Edited by Neil H
  • Thanks 1

On 22/09/2020 at 12:10, callisto said:

Message from 365astronomy this aft. The Lacerta wedge will be on it’s way by DPD. 👍🏻

“we've just received stock, will dispatch it today. 

Cheers.”

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, JeremyS said:

Planning for 2021 (the top one still available for £3 from Amazon as somebody noted on SGL 🙂 )

1558260458_IMG_3156(1).jpg.9da7754ef8dc51b2a5f4ea1f36ab633f.jpg

WO 2x Barlow for binoviewers. To give higher mags than the standard 1.6 x. Great results with Mars and the Tak TSA 120 + 8 mm eyepieces (= x 225). Pity it doesn't come with end caps. It would also help if they were each marked as it's quite hard to tell them apart: there is a slight difference in length, but looking through them immediately shows the difference). 

IMG_3155.jpg.c4167b8a596950d0913f1d84e5ac255c.jpg

Thanks for the Amazon info. Just ordered mine at £3.00 too. I expect they will put the price back up once they see they are selling. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1