Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

This new foam inset arrived from eBay this morning, courtesy of Royal Mail. 

It's to re purpose an old Maplin aluminium flight case, as an eyepiece case. The foam block is precut with 1cm cubes for the job. 😉

20200905_095958.jpg

20200905_095612.jpg

20200905_095556.jpg

20200905_095749.jpg

1 hour ago, omo said:

Late yesterday, very excited 👍

IMGP4214.thumb.JPG.0b3bf17fa854a3e6d4b189e07f3c7eaf.JPG

"You're gonna need a bigger boat!" - Chief Brody... JAWS
"You're gonna need a bigger case!" - Philip R... SGL

Edited by Philip R
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, merlin100 said:

This new foam inset arrived from eBay this morning, courtesy of Royal Mail. 

It's to re purpose an old Maplin aluminium flight case, as an eyepiece case. The foam block is precut with 1cm cubes for the job. 😉

20200905_095958.jpg

20200905_095612.jpg

20200905_095556.jpg

20200905_095749.jpg

Do not cut the foam! Just depress it to the shape of the item/ EP, means when you rearrange the box you can just pull the foam up and re-align. No need to buy replacement foam for many years

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Barry-W-Fenner said:

RELEASE THE CLOUDS!

I couldn't resist, 9mm Morpheus, a beautiful package  from Baader and FLO as usual. Can't wait to try this out. I am a big fan of the Morpheus range!

DSC_0962.JPG

DSC_0963.JPG

That looks very seriously good. I’ve got my set of eyepieces but I’m very tempted to get a Morpheus to try one out. Definitely something pulling me in with these. How many do you have, I think I read you have 2 others?

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Dantooine said:

That looks very seriously good. I’ve got my set of eyepieces but I’m very tempted to get a Morpheus to try one out. Definitely something pulling me in with these. How many do you have, I think I read you have 2 others?

Evening Dantooine,

You are correct I have two others, 3 in total. 6.5mm,9mm and 14mm

I don't know a huge amount about eye pieces, there are far more experienced people on here than me. However I am completely sold on the Baader range, the eye relief and observing comfort is excellent, the large 76 degree AFOV is brilliant and gives a lovely view up to the field stop, lots of rich colour in stars and a dark black background. You hardly notice the FS and get a really immersive view. 

I have mainly used my 14mm to give around x107 mag for low power viewing. On the couple of occasions the sky has been cloud free and I have had the chance to use the 6.5mm seeing hasn't been to great to be honest but I am confident that it will give an excellent view. I purchased the 9mm to be my mid power workhorse in the 300p, it should give a nice x167 - if the sky stays clear I will give it a go tonight!

I may be swayed to purchase either the 12mm or 17.5mm next but that's for another thread 😁

Regards

Baz

18 minutes ago, Barry-W-Fenner said:

Evening Dantooine,

You are correct I have two others, 3 in total. 6.5mm,9mm and 14mm

I don't know a huge amount about eye pieces, there are far more experienced people on here than me. However I am completely sold on the Baader range, the eye relief and observing comfort is excellent, the large 76 degree AFOV is brilliant and gives a lovely view up to the field stop, lots of rich colour in stars and a dark black background. You hardly notice the FS and get a really immersive view. 

I have mainly used my 14mm to give around x107 mag for low power viewing. On the couple of occasions the sky has been cloud free and I have had the chance to use the 6.5mm seeing hasn't been to great to be honest but I am confident that it will give an excellent view. I purchased the 9mm to be my mid power workhorse in the 300p, it should give a nice x167 - if the sky stays clear I will give it a go tonight!

I may be swayed to purchase either the 12mm or 17.5mm next but that's for another thread 😁

Regards

Baz

167 would be amazing. That’s getting up to my limits as I’ve only been to 200. Just got a 1.6x barlow and hope to also have a bash with that tonight. It’s looking promising and mars will be sitting high later. Good luck. 

Dale. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Uplooker said:

Do not cut the foam! Just depress it to the shape of the item/ EP, means when you rearrange the box you can just pull the foam up and re-align. No need to buy replacement foam for many years

Don't worry, I've used these before. The old foam was over a decade old and was worn out. 

Not very exciting I know but these items has made life a lot easier. I got a set of Bobs Knobs for my Skywatcher 400P and they are a boon,already while out observing Ive managed to simply collimate my secondary enough as do in total darkness after it misaligned for some reason. I also I invested in a mains cable for the drive so now more battery running low misery.

When I got this ultimate telescope a couple of years ago I thought I was done with spending on this hobby but not so (of course) and my next dream purchases are a hand control cover,a heater strip for the secondary and wait for it- a telrad cosy! I really must stop browsing on FLO!

Bobs Knobs1.JPG

Bobs Knobs2.JPG

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Somrthing for reattaching a Telrad base and a little blower. 

9259DAAE-FA65-48E7-AC35-514F750647BB.jpeg

I've been wondering about the telrad tape and what happens when you remove it... Does it leave a sticky residue?

• Like 1

Stellarvue 60mm finder... a small telescope in it's own right! I can see me taking this on holidays with nice wide angle EPs on a lightweight photo tripod.

Along with new goto functionality on my EQ6 this should hopefully help me in locating the ice giants which have eluded me so far. Lack of visible stars in central Bristol makes starhopping with a rigel quickfinder rather difficult. 

20200907_174310.jpg

• Like 9

14 minutes ago, CraigT82 said:

Stellarvue 60mm finder... a small telescope in it's own right! I can see me taking this on holidays with nice wide angle EPs on a lightweight photo tripod.

Along with new goto functionality on my EQ6 this should hopefully help me in locating the ice giants which have eluded me so far. Lack of visible stars in central Bristol makes starhopping with a rigel quickfinder rather difficult. 

20200907_174310.jpg

This is similar to my Altair 10x60:
image.png.4698462cbf30d8db89253f9220962a7c.png

I made an adapter for the finder shoe using a camera 'cheeseboard':

image.png.20527ca2a91b17994be19f063453dc31.png

• Like 3