Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

4 minutes ago, Padraic M said:

Ordered mine in May and it arrived in August... field flattener followed only last week, so yes but slowly!

Gosh, I hope they've reserved my field flattener and won't part ship it after the Esprit!!!

Will give it 2 weeks more before checking with FLO again.

21 hours ago, Stardaze said:

Er... just different I guess. All the brands have a different smell, or is it just me? The APM and Pentax seem the most marked for me. Helps to find them in the dark huh 🤣

They will all smell the same once they’ve marinated long enough in the same case. 

15 minutes ago, Stardaze said:

Yes, and I really do like it. But you know how it goes..: how much better is the Ethos??

You have to try to know :wink:

And be a skilled observer chasing challenging targets of course !

Most of the time and for most folks the difference will be practically zero I reckon.

• Like 2

Just now, Stardaze said:

Yes, and I really do like it. But you know how it goes..: how much better is the Ethos??

Well I’m hoping for a 2 hour window tonight, I finished my shifts for the week so I’m hoping to try the new APM 20 and will compare it to the 13E.

Obviously things will look different but I should get some idea of performance although my eyes are tired and my body is exhausted.

If I don’t fall over in the dark trying to look at the small red lentil of mars I will let you know what I think of the APM in comparison. 

I never really go the full 100 degrees to the edge as I find it’s better to just move the telescope. My Main reason for me having the wide eyepieces is I only use a rdf on its own and I can pick things up easier, I like the view and what surrounds my target also keeping them there for a little longer.  

Everyone has their “reasons”, mine are really quite simple, so the 10 percent at the edges I’m not Losing sleep over if they are slightly less than perfect. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Nigella Bryant said:

New mini computer for the obsy arrived so during tomorrow while it's raining I can install all the software. Now, no more taking the laptop out every time. 

IMG_20200929_225637.jpg

That’s really small. Amazing what can be put into a small package now. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nigella Bryant said:

New mini computer for the obsy arrived so during tomorrow while it's raining I can install all the software. Now, no more taking the laptop out every time. 

IMG_20200929_225637.jpg

nice, and real COM ports too, rare sight these days.

oh and SNAP! on the keyboard & mouse lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stardaze said:

Said very much tongue in cheek! I have a mini ‘wants’ list so we shall see. 

I managed a very short session trying the APM 20.  Clouds stopped play however I thought I’d get onto planets with it. )because they were all smiling at me).

Not the best of nights tonight but I could see the black on mars and ice on the top glowing at only 36x which surprised me.

Quite a comfortable lump of glass to use. Eye cups different to what I’m used to but a nice view all the same. Not really the right night or targets to test what I’ve bought it for but very promising.

I looked at stars on the edge and they were quite sharp and coloured stars showed quite well. I popped in the 13E and have to say you try and you will want one. For me it’s just something extra that I can’t explain. I could use it all night.

All in all I think the APM will do the job I want it to, for me anyhow. As you tempted me into buying it I will do my best to tempt you into buying the 13E. 👍

• Haha 1

On 28/09/2020 at 13:19, Telescope40 said:

Hello John. @johninderby Maybe a bit early for this to be answered but would you recommend ?? 
Thx. John 

Had the chance to try out the Svbony 10-30 zoom on the moon tonight. With a 2x barlow view was similar to a Nirvana eyepiece although narrower fov of course. Had to use the Penrax XW to see a better view.

Too cloudy to look at anything else but am liking this zoom. 👍🏻

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Some Moore dvds and an Apollo one as well. 🙂

Moore on the Moon, The Story of the Total Eclipse, Apollo 11 and One Small Step DVDs arrived this morning. Will go with The Astronomical Patrick Moore and Joirney to the Stars DVDs I already had. 👍🏻

B5A8EDC0-95DD-4FDE-B406-2DDC99197983.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2