Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

2 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Yes I get that John, but what about the thread pitch, etc. Not to mention M6, M8 etc. Like M8x 1.25...

You can get thread gauges for testing the thread pitch.  Some metric sizes do come in two (or occasionally even three) different pitches, but I don't recall seeing much other than the "standard" pitch for astronomy, with the possible exception of filters and T2 connectors, so if you buy an "M8 bolt" you're pretty likely to get the right one.

spacer.png

James

5 minutes ago, JamesF said:

You can get thread gauges for testing the thread pitch.  Some metric sizes do come in two (or occasionally even three) different pitches, but I don't recall seeing much other than the "standard" pitch for astronomy, with the possible exception of filters and T2 connectors, so if you buy an "M8 bolt" you're pretty likely to get the right one.

spacer.png

James

A thanks James. I suspected it would be complex 🙂

BTW, I think the last time I saw an Acme product was in a Road Runner cartoon 🙂

On 18/04/2020 at 14:27, johninderby said:

2F780B5B-5260-467F-BD9D-AC063EBD3CFB.jpeg

Looking forward to my set arriving,
I think I purchased my set a day after yourself John, so fingers crossed they arrive soon.

Sadly just yet another copy invoice sent from Springer, so far no shipping details.
Clearly direct from Springer was not such a wise move.

Edited by Alan White
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Looking forward to my set arriving,
I think I purchased my set a day after yourself John, so fingers crossed they arrive soon.

Ordered mine on the 8th and they said it would arrive on the 18th which it did. Delivered by Elite couriers which I’ve not heard of before. 

Edited by johninderby

6 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Ordered mine on the 8th and they said it would arrive on the 18th which it did. Delivered by Elite couriers which I’ve not heard of before. 

I ordered my set on the 9th from Springer, so far only an invoice and no delivery or tracking notifications.

On 18/04/2020 at 13:10, JamesF said:

spacer.png

James

Acme thread table

IMG_20200419_195028.thumb.jpg.7000fdcdb4a438cde37df41d257c00c9.jpg

From dad's 1943 "Machinery's Handbook".

• Like 3

Yet another book arrived this morning from Book Deposatory,  via carrier pigeon. They informed me it was "winging its way to me" on April 3rd. 

I haven't read any of it yet, just looked at the pictures, but I must say it looks a promising read. Lots of nice refractors - which Neil E has the Hot's for deep in his heart. One day he might write a best seller entitled "Takahashi"! :grin:

895266297_2020-04-2010_47_23.thumb.jpg.92c74d912cdd13e6d46ed3d4faf91ee2.jpg

Edited by mikeDnight
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mikeDnight said:

Yet another book arrived this morning from Book Deposatory,  via carrier pigeon. They informed me it was "winging its way to me" on April 3rd. 

I haven't read any of it yet, just looked at the pictures, but I must say it looks a promising read. Lots of nice refractors - which Neil E has the Hot's for deep in his heart. One day he might write a best seller entitled "Takahashi"! :grin:

895266297_2020-04-2010_47_23.thumb.jpg.92c74d912cdd13e6d46ed3d4faf91ee2.jpg

If I owned that table, I'd have to paint the underside greeny-grey-blue and mount a waterline model of a ship on top!

• Haha 1

The postman today, primarily bought my "light" filters for my small refractors 100mm and below. The filters are Wratten #56,#21#23A,#8,#82A. I got these as an upgrade to replace my Tal filter set. As the Tal filter set, doesn't have any Wratten numbers on the filters or even general nomenclature like "light red". I suspect the Tal filter are normal filters not "light" filters like I need.

I like these new filters as they have the Wratten number on them. Plus they come with pretty good cases, which I didn't know at the time of ordering! 

David

IMG_20200421_140441[1].jpg

IMG_20200421_140451[1].jpg

Edited by Dave1
  • Like 6

22 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Not much. Just a 55mm to 48mm step down ring so i can use 2” filters on my compact camera. Just needs a small amount of zoom to avoid vignetting.  🙂

16DCE660-DB96-4026-9236-D9D20F9D2DC1.jpeg

B7CE47D2-E9B2-462F-96F5-0BE6C2952F21.jpeg

You’re the one stopping me buying these on eBay!! I found they for my 50mm bins and a 135mm camera lens... hopefully have the ones I need.

peter

8 minutes ago, Neil H said:

Hi all my delivery was boring compared to you guys , I got the belt drive kit for my HEQ5 and it only took about 20 mins to fit 

That's not bad at all.  I'm planning on doing a NEQ6 soon and it looks like quite a lengthy procedure by comparison.

James

19 hours ago, JamesF said:

That's not bad at all.  I'm planning on doing a NEQ6 soon and it looks like quite a lengthy procedure by comparison.

James

Hi James the kit is a lot bigger for your mount look like the motor mounts are changed as well , good luck I am sure it will go well and no more jingle bells as it slews