Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

On 14/04/2020 at 20:16, CraigT82 said:

Ade have you figured out a way to fine align (polar) in the az direction using the mount adjusters? Without loosening the central mount bolt (which I cant seem to get at!).

If it's like my mount extension there should be a thrust bearing that allows you to tighten the holding screw without rendering the mount immobile. Not actually that good in practice.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

If it's like my mount extension there should be a thrust bearing that allows you to tighten the holding screw without rendering the mount immobile. Not actually that good in practice.

Yes, you’re right, there is a thrust bearing attached to the centre bolt.  I always wondered what that was for.....🤔

in it’s current form I have a Vixen GP sitting on an EQ6 top plate so have had to remove the North pin to make the mount fit.

The mount will sort-of twist but as I have no means of fine AZ adjustment due to the missing North peg moving the whole mount works ok for now, if a bit fiddly.

17 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Yes same on mine too.  Have backed the hand bolt off just a touch and now the az adjusters work without any wobblyness in the mount/pier connection. Rather clever really. How long that bearing lasts will remain to be seen. 

Also chopped 1ft off the pier so now the scope is at a more sensible height.

The whole set up rolls ok over my asphalt driveway so no more heavy lifting for me yippee! 

20200416_140346.jpg

Edited by CraigT82
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, CraigT82 said:

The whole set up rolls ok over my asphalt driveway

Indeed these do work better on a smooth surface. I have paving slabs and the tiny wheels do tend to bind at the joins between them. Mine is a few years old and the polymeric material that the wheels are made of is beginning to chip away (I think it's a combination of rough surfaces and the polymer itself degrading). The small size of the wheels makes for a bumpy ride, too. This is the weak point in the design.

At some stage the wheels might need replacing. has anyone done that?

Another aspect, although minor, is that the black plastic caps at the bottom of the adjustable feet soon breaks when the screws are being adjusted.

• Like 1

The postman delivered a nice eyepiece today. It’s exciting  because as I have discovered I have slight astigmatism I will be benefiting from greater eye relief for my low power eyepieces to accommodate glasses specifically for observing.

D74B837B-99CA-4E42-80BA-8CC353E3C0A4.jpeg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

One telescope just isn't enough... From RVO, a new unused customer return Skymax 102 for a third cheaper. Accompanied by a dew shield (Yes I know they're easy to make for buttons, but I couldn"t be bothered...).

IMG_20200417_081331527.thumb.jpg.29cfd92969541c713cfa91400febf614.jpg

RVO have some great deals on ex display and used stuff.  Got my APM barlow from them used at a smidge over half price and it was pristine. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CraigT82 said:

RVO have some great deals on ex display and used stuff.  Got my APM barlow from them used at a smidge over half price and it was pristine. 

Yes, I was tempted by a customer return Skymax 127 for £200, but decided to keep things small (and spend as little as possible hah).

Although, adding in a dew shield, another eyepiece and L-bracket has eaten into the bargain...

Well here they are. My first ever Carl Zeiss Jena Eyepieces 😁

They are Huygens in 25 and 16 mm focal lengths. Like new and unused! I figured if I wanted to try the best Huygens there is, it would have to be CZJ!

Very happy.

David

IMG_20200417_103456.jpg

• Like 8

Guess there’ll be no ‘brakes’ for you today! Get it fitted man.

I have had the other ES 10mm delivered today, to mate up with the first one going into the TV binoviewers, plus a mount pier extension for my AZ-GTi mount, many thanks guys at FLO, sterling work you’re doing.
But now I have to stop spending, as apparently, I have to eat!

chaz

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

One telescope just isn't enough... From RVO, a new unused customer return Skymax 102 for a third cheaper. Accompanied by a dew shield (Yes I know they're easy to make for buttons, but I couldn"t be bothered...).

IMG_20200417_081331527.thumb.jpg.29cfd92969541c713cfa91400febf614.jpg

Aah so you bought it 😄

I wondered where it’d gone, that 127 is still there 😏🤔🤔

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alan White said:

Delivery person has been very early, next day free delivery of flea-bay.
Parts for the upcoming pier, perhaps.
Same as Brembo 08.4962.20 as recommended by folks here. 

Careful Alan: don't brake it!

Good that you bought before they were disc-ontinued.

🙂

2 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Careful Alan: don't brake it!

Good that you bought before they were disc-ontinued.

🙂

...because they are to busy Russian around to release v2.0.x, mein herr!

😜

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Philip R said:

...because they are to busy Russian around to release v2.0.x, mein herr!

😜

Don’t understand it!.....you’re talking foreign.🤣

But on a slightly more understandable note, my last purchase, is a slightly soiled Celestron GT goto mount, now I must buy fooood!!!

I’ve now bought so much from different parts of the country, I have to socially distance them from each other for two weeks, or till the clouds part.😷

chaz

Edited by Chaz2b

11 minutes ago, johninderby said:

OK just thumscrews to replace the small ones on scope. much easier to use.

I have to ask, John. You always seem to be ordering replacement screws for all sort of things. And they all seem to be the right size, thread etc. In spite of so many different standards and specs

How do you know what to order? Do you look it up or do actually measure the relevant parameters of the screw/bolt you are replacing?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

I have to ask, John. You always seem to be ordering replacement screws for all sort of things. And they all seem to be the right size, thread etc. In spite of so many different standards and specs

How do you know what to order? Do you look it up or do actually measure the relevant parameters of the screw/bolt you are replacing?

That’s what digital calipers are for. 🙂

M4 thread.

2651A50C-E838-4C92-89CD-C90BBD9A57C8.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 2

Most astro gear uses a few standard threads. Mostly metric and occasionaly imperial. Also getting to know what the diameter is of the common metric and imperial threads. There are charts that give the specs which can help and also thread gauges.