Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

1 minute ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

Go for it Stub. That one you linked looks jazzy! Although opening a parcel from Staffs isn't as exciting as Moscow. (Unless you're in Moscow getting a parcel from Staffordshire... )

It's probably the same one!  You know you need your own 3D printer now. Mine is already warming up...

27 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

It's probably the same one!  You know you need your own 3D printer now. Mine is already warming up...

Hey if you can make one of these, I'd like one please! A friend of a friend in the states makes obsolete motorbike trim parts with his 3D printer and it's his full time job. Doing well from what I hear.

I have been looking for some decent winter weather stuff since last year and I have eventually managed to get these for a very reasonable price that I couldn’t say no to especially the Alpkit Filo. 

CA13DEFF-0904-4FF3-9E5B-50C1AF0D3B72.thumb.jpeg.f1d93dbc43662a2a9d0220a205383628.jpeg 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Craney said:

Alpkit is good quality, well designed gear at more realistic prices.

Seems great quality and at £90 a bargain in my books, I couldn’t keep it on long in the front room 😁 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Danjc said:

Seems great quality and at £90 a bargain in my books, I couldn’t keep it on long in the front room

Good price, but me being a cheapskate, I got an Army surplus reversible jacket, which is also very, very warm, but not waterproof, which shouldn't matter in the winter whilst observing. £ 25 was good too, as are the same type insulated trousers. :grin:
https://www.militarymart.co.uk/british-army-reversable-insulated-jacket/

@Helen They look like camera film cases and I seem to remember you mentioning something about launching home made rockets at a star party? A link?

Anyway, I got something in the post today too, which was nice:

1963821541_DSC_0012-Copy.thumb.JPG.d4ea1428cc150c6a6fba099d1c2485a4.JPG

Didn't get the cat with the postie, she is the boss and refused to move! The eyepiece is an ES 62 degree 20mm; the plastic bag is an ADM improvement for the AZ-GTi and I have no idea what the wire is for, ( came with the mount ) as I am thick and the manual is poor. The box did not come with the usual " May contain clouds " sticker, which may have been good, because as you can see the sun is out! However the AZ-GTi did come with it's own wildlife from Exeter: A live ant! Does this ant replace the stickers now? It was not in the main box, but oddly in with the AZ-GTi, no idea what's going on there, nor how it survived posting!

Edited by Greymouser
  • Like 3

Some small fragments of the Allende Meteorite which fell in Mexico in February 1969. It's one of the best studied meteorites in history, perhaps at least in part because it fell just a few months before the Apollo 11 mission lifted off, interest in space exploration was high and many instututions in the USA were geared up to study the rock samples from the Moon. The Allende Meteorite fall gave them some early extra-terrestrial rock to examine !

Allende is classified as a carbonaceous chondrite meteorite and contains calcium-aluminium-rich inclusions or CAIs (the irregular white shapes) which are thought to be some of the structures that formed in the earliest stages of the solar system. They have been dated at 4.568 billion years old.

An interesting little addition to my meteorite collection :smiley:

allende02.jpg

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Greymouser said:

However the AZ-GTi did come with it's own wildlife from Exeter: A live ant! Does this ant replace the stickers now? It was not in the main box, but oddly in with the AZ-GTi, no idea what's going on there, nor how it survived posting!

@Ant are you ok?

• Haha 5

5 hours ago, Greymouser said:

@Helen They look like camera film cases and I seem to remember you mentioning something about launching home made rockets at a star party? A link?

I have no idea what the wire is for

Just add alka selzer and water (and stand back!!!) 😉

The cable is may be a snap cable to allow you to control a dslr camera from your mount 🙂  Have fun, they are neat little mounts!

Helen

• Like 1

Having just got back from Holiday yesterday I have waded through the bills, post and goodies.

Purchased from ENS Japan Made ND13 Moon Filter 1 1/4. Just to see a bit more contrast once in a while.

IMG_3498.thumb.JPG.64548a2e049ed4c7009367a27b6ebdee.JPGIMG_3497.thumb.JPG.efde5a6e06370dcc9a8496ce75eadf6f.JPG

Edited by Alan White
  • Like 2

The post person also brought a bit of kit that I have no idea how to use, but something to learn with.
I am hoping to have ago at radio detection using Graves Radio on Meteors.
Have to make or buy an aerial, get some software and make this work.....what could go wrong!

IMG_3496.thumb.JPG.17c606f31f7da850a6ec565095cb0c2f.JPG

Edited by Alan White
typos of course
  • Like 3

On 18/08/2019 at 16:43, Alan White said:

The post person also brought a bit of kit that I have no idea how to use, but something to learn with.
Have to make or buy an aerial, get some software and make this work.....what could go wrong!

I have a very similar one, it runs warm to the touch. I clamped a decent sized heatsink to it and it greatly reduced the noise.

• Like 1

On 18/08/2019 at 16:43, Alan White said:

I have something very similar that is waiting to be set up once I get the observatory moving along a bit further.

James

• Like 2