Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

nightfisher

What did the postman bring?

Posted (edited)

Go for it Stub. That one you linked looks jazzy! Although opening a parcel from Staffs isn't as exciting as Moscow. (Unless you're in Moscow getting a parcel from Staffordshire... )

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet

1 minute ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

Go for it Stub. That one you linked looks jazzy! Although opening a parcel from Staffs isn't as exciting as Moscow. (Unless you're in Moscow getting a parcel from Staffordshire... )

It's probably the same one!  You know you need your own 3D printer now. Mine is already warming up...

27 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

It's probably the same one!  You know you need your own 3D printer now. Mine is already warming up...

Hey if you can make one of these, I'd like one please! A friend of a friend in the states makes obsolete motorbike trim parts with his 3D printer and it's his full time job. Doing well from what I hear.

Mr. Ships it's great. Super light weight, holds the finders fine and I've not once head butted the finderscope! Looks Pro too...

IMG_20190816_225430904.thumb.jpg.a603aef670fd220363dddfe66e557dbd.jpg

The thing's so swish even Saturn came out for a look...

• Like 6

It is astro related - honest 🤣

IMG_20190817_125206.thumb.jpg.79832b939caaecaa00efd9abcd405793.jpg

Getting ready for the Star Party 😉

Any guesses??

Helen

• Like 2

I have been looking for some decent winter weather stuff since last year and I have eventually managed to get these for a very reasonable price that I couldn’t say no to especially the Alpkit Filo. 

CA13DEFF-0904-4FF3-9E5B-50C1AF0D3B72.thumb.jpeg.f1d93dbc43662a2a9d0220a205383628.jpeg 

• Like 6

Alpkit is good quality, well designed gear at more realistic prices.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Craney said:

Alpkit is good quality, well designed gear at more realistic prices.

Seems great quality and at £90 a bargain in my books, I couldn’t keep it on long in the front room 😁 

• Like 1

Indeed, something like that from NorthFace / Arcterx / Patagucci    and you can triple that plus a bit.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Danjc said:

Seems great quality and at £90 a bargain in my books, I couldn’t keep it on long in the front room

Good price, but me being a cheapskate, I got an Army surplus reversible jacket, which is also very, very warm, but not waterproof, which shouldn't matter in the winter whilst observing. £ 25 was good too, as are the same type insulated trousers. :grin:
https://www.militarymart.co.uk/british-army-reversable-insulated-jacket/

@Helen They look like camera film cases and I seem to remember you mentioning something about launching home made rockets at a star party? A link?

Anyway, I got something in the post today too, which was nice:

1963821541_DSC_0012-Copy.thumb.JPG.d4ea1428cc150c6a6fba099d1c2485a4.JPG

Didn't get the cat with the postie, she is the boss and refused to move! The eyepiece is an ES 62 degree 20mm; the plastic bag is an ADM improvement for the AZ-GTi and I have no idea what the wire is for, ( came with the mount ) as I am thick and the manual is poor. The box did not come with the usual " May contain clouds " sticker, which may have been good, because as you can see the sun is out! However the AZ-GTi did come with it's own wildlife from Exeter: A live ant! Does this ant replace the stickers now? It was not in the main box, but oddly in with the AZ-GTi, no idea what's going on there, nor how it survived posting!

Edited by Greymouser
  • Like 3

Some small fragments of the Allende Meteorite which fell in Mexico in February 1969. It's one of the best studied meteorites in history, perhaps at least in part because it fell just a few months before the Apollo 11 mission lifted off, interest in space exploration was high and many instututions in the USA were geared up to study the rock samples from the Moon. The Allende Meteorite fall gave them some early extra-terrestrial rock to examine !

Allende is classified as a carbonaceous chondrite meteorite and contains calcium-aluminium-rich inclusions or CAIs (the irregular white shapes) which are thought to be some of the structures that formed in the earliest stages of the solar system. They have been dated at 4.568 billion years old.

An interesting little addition to my meteorite collection :smiley:

allende02.jpg

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Greymouser said:

However the AZ-GTi did come with it's own wildlife from Exeter: A live ant! Does this ant replace the stickers now? It was not in the main box, but oddly in with the AZ-GTi, no idea what's going on there, nor how it survived posting!

@Ant are you ok?

• Haha 5

5 hours ago, Greymouser said:

@Helen They look like camera film cases and I seem to remember you mentioning something about launching home made rockets at a star party? A link?

I have no idea what the wire is for

Just add alka selzer and water (and stand back!!!) 😉

The cable is may be a snap cable to allow you to control a dslr camera from your mount 🙂  Have fun, they are neat little mounts!

Helen

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Having just got back from Holiday yesterday I have waded through the bills, post and goodies.

Purchased from ENS Japan Made ND13 Moon Filter 1 1/4. Just to see a bit more contrast once in a while.

IMG_3498.thumb.JPG.64548a2e049ed4c7009367a27b6ebdee.JPGIMG_3497.thumb.JPG.efde5a6e06370dcc9a8496ce75eadf6f.JPG

Edited by Alan White
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

The post person also brought a bit of kit that I have no idea how to use, but something to learn with.
I am hoping to have ago at radio detection using Graves Radio on Meteors.
Have to make or buy an aerial, get some software and make this work.....what could go wrong!

IMG_3496.thumb.JPG.17c606f31f7da850a6ec565095cb0c2f.JPG

Edited by Alan White
typos of course
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

Little bag of M45 and M50 steel shims 0.5mm thick. Exciting times!

20190820_174759.jpg

Edited by david_taurus83
  • Like 1

On 18/08/2019 at 16:43, Alan White said:

The post person also brought a bit of kit that I have no idea how to use, but something to learn with.
Have to make or buy an aerial, get some software and make this work.....what could go wrong!

I have a very similar one, it runs warm to the touch. I clamped a decent sized heatsink to it and it greatly reduced the noise.

• Like 1

On 18/08/2019 at 16:43, Alan White said:

I have something very similar that is waiting to be set up once I get the observatory moving along a bit further.

James

• Like 2

SW explorer 150p arrived from FLO today. Cobra cases bag also arrived. The 150p fits like a glove! 

7B23EB88-3A2C-484D-9127-36452F79255F.jpeg

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Sky-searcher said:

SW explorer 150p arrived from FLO today. Cobra cases bag also arrived. The 150p fits like a glove! 

7B23EB88-3A2C-484D-9127-36452F79255F.jpeg

Nice!

Love my 150P, The ol’ Girl serves me well 😁

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

A highly anticipated delivery from FLO arrived today 😍

IMG_8024.thumb.JPG.15ea503c5a8a9a14032a160b5424a7ef.JPG

Edited by Miguel1983
  • Like 6

Posted (edited)

Nice pair of tube rings for Tak FS60Q.

IMG_0588.jpg.5ef022ce3722fa37194326b5a46e2eae.jpg

Colour match with original Takahashi Vixen dovetail! Now the wait for the scope :)

IMG_0591.jpg.467fa196ee7fbd3a30a0592dc65d3f49.jpg

Edited by heliumstar
added photo
  • Like 5

this just arrived and it excites me way too much - a tub of Russian shaving cream!😳😉

5E916DAA-443E-4B3C-AF98-72A899874C02.jpeg

049956F6-82A2-46AE-937F-898B9E94897F.jpeg

• Like 2