Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SGL XI Chit Chat

daz

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A word of advise please. I have never been to a star party and was wondering which tent to take with me. Are there any cheap options which I can buy? I shall be alone with my 5 bags of equipment. That's all.

That's a bit difficult to advise, depends if you want one you can stand up in or are happy to crawl on your hands and knees.  I'd definitely get one that has a built in ground sheet.  One big enough to sleep in and room for a kitchen area and area to store kit you need access to.

You'll also need cooking equipment unless you are planning to eat out every time.  This one look a good deal, though I can't see how 5 people can live/sleep in it:

https://www.theoriginalfactoryshop.co.uk/gelert-atlantis-five-man-tent?gclid=CMG8--jWscoCFUI_GwodmSYGYQ

Carole 

It'll be my first time as well.  Something to be well aware of is that it'll be the end of March, so be prepared for anything weather wise, especially given this winter so far.  I've known that weekend to have snow on the ground one year, or be scorching hot shorts time another year. Depending on how long you'll be staying, make sure that you have enough space for your stuff and your kit, so that you are comfortable, warm and dry - whatever the weather decides to throw at us.

I did start looking at tents in October, however was talked out of it, and into hiring a motor home for the time which means that I'll have the week to be able to decide if I like going to star parties like this.  (hopefully it'll be a great holiday)   And if I'm bitten by the bug, I'll have time to see what others are doing tent age wise, then I'll be able to make some informed decisions.

aramitsharma, on 17 Jan 2016 - 8:15 PM, said:aramitsharma, on 17 Jan 2016 - 8:15 PM, said:aramitsharma, on 17 Jan 2016 - 8:15 PM, said:aramitsharma, on 17 Jan 2016 - 8:15 PM, said:

A word of advise please. I have never been to a star party and was wondering which tent to take with me. Are there any cheap options which I can buy? I shall be alone with my 5 bags of equipment. That's all.

Thanks in advance...

Always bring a tent that is bigger than what you need (and make sure its very waterproof!). If its just you, then its a 3 man tent minimum. Its likely to be cold, so bring an electric blanket and/or fan heater. Bring a chair too, so youve got somewhere to chill out.

I also tend to bring plastic croc boxes rather than bags, as they stack up neatly and double up as a handy table.

Oh, dont forget your EHU cable too (cost about 50 quid).

Thanks in advance...

Don't worry about being able to put up a three person tent on your own, stand there looking helpless and you'll soon have lot's of SGL members pitching :) in to help.

Dave

Don't worry about being able to put up a three person tent on your own, stand there looking helpless and you'll soon have lot's of SGL members pitching :) in to help.

Dave

They will indeed although we generally snigger for about twenty minutes before the guilt kicks in.

Does any-one know what sort of curry is it, i.e. what meat as I can't eat poultry?  

I didn't book it at the time of booking my pitch, but might book it later.

Carole

I will try and get a definitive answer on options available but it's normally chicken.

This may be a stupid question, or I;ve missed the instruction somewhere, but can you book more than one day at once on the FLO website, or do you have to book them separately?

Edit - ignore me. Just add it all to the basket :). Doh!

Edit - and thats me and Mrs Marki all booked :). Look forward to meeting you all there - this'll be my first SGL party!

So I ordered the pitches and food and have a confirmation email. Do actual tickets get sent out? Or will I need to bring the confirmation email?

Off to look at electrical hookups/plug and other assorted camping gear and scope covers...I love these opportunities for shopping that astronomy brings ;).

No, Mark, there are no tickets issued. Just keep watching the Pitch Allocation thread nearer the time to find out which one you have been allocated. When you turn up the Reception staff will have a pack for you directing you to your pitch with a map, a name badge, general info and, most importantly, opening times for the shop and cafe :smile:

Grant has been working on the pitch allocations today. So I guess that there will be a revised plan in the next few days.

Mark - you rock up to reception. Tell them who you are and they give you directions and a welcome pack. Very efficient.

Paul

I really enjoyed it last year. This will be my first time out since the Mrs fell ill while she was pregnant. nearly 11 months by the time it comes round.

That cafe is awesome BTW I spent a few quid in there last year lol

Danny - Good to see you back on line. Let's hope for some clear sky!

I'll be leaving the cooking gear at home this year. The cafe looks like a good option.

Anyone - Do they serve proper coffee in the cafe? Warm & brown doesn't cut it unless it is with a properly dirty fry up.?

Paul

Archived