SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SGL XI Chit Chat

daz

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm hiring a motorhome this year with central heating!

No tent this time, too blimmin' cold.

Looking forwards to it!

You young guys, no stamina, I didn't give up camping until I was over sixty  :grin:

Dave

I gave up camping after my 1st SGL star party (SGL4). :rolleyes2:

I've bought my caravan since then.

The loos at Lucksall are well heated though so it's not unknown for campers to be over there thawing out from time to time !

There are some pretty sophisticated tents and sleeping gear around these days though.

I think the advice to work out how much warm clothing you think you need, then double it, is sound :wink:

Oh, and congrats to the member who managed to book a ticket FOR LAST YEAR!!!

Thanks for testing our procedures for disabling old pages!

:D :D :D

I'll spare your blushes!

I'll shine that light on myself.... it was me....

LOL I was just practicing for Monday !!!

Saw the title banner and having booked the previous three years  jumped straight onto the FLO website and away i went. Last year i remember the SGL shop on the website wasn't blindingly obvious so i just searched and there it was... i was checked out before i started to think "Hang On"

I gave up camping after my 1st SGL star party (SGL4). :rolleyes2:

I've bought my caravan since then.

The loos at Lucksall are well heated though so it's not unknown for campers to be over there thawing out from time to time !

There are some pretty sophisticated tents and sleeping gear around these days though.

I think the advice to work out how much warm clothing you think you need, then double it, is sound :wink:

Same here....

My first ever proper camping experience was SGL8, it rained, it snowed, had been -6 the morning i arrived, the mud was soooo thick it took me 5 hours to clean everything before i could pack the car and oh yeah the scope sunk. Never Again!

Got home and went straight out and bought the Motorhome & even with slight breakdown on the way home from SGLX i wouldn't go back to a tent.

I'm thinking about comming to this, haven't been camping since I was a kid. :)  I'm wondering about the pitch size, I know it says there's room for car and tent.  what I'm wondering is how big are the pitches?   I'm seriously considering this, but with scope won't be travelling light, so my setup is likely to be car, trailer, scope and tent.  I'm thinking about getting a decent sized tent to use.  But before I go ordering anything or thinking things through.  I'd like to know if it's going to get tight on room.

I'm away to the Brecons next week with the South Wales group so I hope I remember to book while I'm there & don't get to distracted. I'll probably be travelling lighter next year too, well when I say light I mean using a smaller version of my flatpack caravan :evil: . At least I'll be able to unfold & fold it away solo without having to rely on others but I've got a few jobs to do to it first.
Be good to catch up with everyone again. :grin:

I'm away to the Brecons next week with the South Wales group so I hope I remember to book while I'm there & don't get to distracted. I'll probably be travelling lighter next year too, well when I say light I mean using a smaller version of my flatpack caravan :evil: . At least I'll be able to unfold & fold it away solo without having to rely on others but I've got a few jobs to do to it first.

Be good to catch up with everyone again. :grin:

I will be around to give you a hand with the mystery machine tich

Thanks,  I just took the advice and looked on google earth.  Don't think there will be a problem getting car, trailer tent and scope on a pitch.  Now, all I have to do is decide if I'm going to book (before monday) then start ordering the camping equipment. - I don't think my tiny 2 man tent is going to be up to the task.

Provided you are not bringing a 100-man tent and the Faulkes 'scope, you'll have plenty of room!

Cars don't need to be parked on the pitch itself and because we have the rally field to ourselves, there will be room to park elsewhere anyway

Yep. I'm booking a pitch tomorrow too.  Then I'll be looking to book a Motorhome.  I don't have camping equipment, and as I have Raynaud's phenomenon get pain when it's cold.  (yeah, I know I'm a glutten for punishment) Which row would it be best for me to try to book?

I'll fall into the SCT Owning imagers. 

I usually book in the 109 / 121 hardstanding area, good for imaging, close to the facilities and keeps you well away from the observers out in the boondoks :)

Dave

The 'boondoks' in this case being anywhere from Buzzard and beyond :) that's where the 'mob will be :)

Archived