Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

1 hour ago, laudropb said:

A Baader Sky Surfer V. I have set it up and aligned it with my ED 72 waiting for darkness to fall.

I would love to hear how pinpoint yout Surfer V is. I love it overall, build, everything and solar finder....but the dot on mine just isn't pinpoint.

1 hour ago, heliumstar said:

I would love to hear how pinpoint yout Surfer V is. I love it overall, build, everything and solar finder....but the dot on mine just isn't pinpoint.

I found the dot to be very good, small and round. I fact I enjoyed using it very much, easily the best red dot finder I have used. Perhaps yours has some kind of fault. All the reviews on the FLO site give it 5 stars and I am of the same opinion.

Edited by laudropb

10 minutes ago, laudropb said:

I found the dot to be very good, small and round. I fact I enjoyed using it very much, easily the best red dot finder I have used. Perhaps yours has some kind of fault. All the reviews on the FLO site give it 5 stars and I am of the same opinion.

That's what I thought. Mine seems to be the faulty one because there's one huge spike and a few tiny ones. Lenses are clean and look good.

Thanks for confirming my doubts.

A Pentax 67 Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 300mm F4 - it's a beautiful looking lens though, naturally, quite heavy! I'm hoping it will reach infinity focus with a Canon but if not I'll try fitting it to an astro camera. I bought an eos adapter separately. Will have to see how it performs...

Here's a pic:

P67_crop.jpg.0135728d5061c66e09daafadab363167.jpg

Louise

• Like 10

Looks good Louise, hope it's worth all the fretting over the tax man.

I still have my Pentax Spotmatic but have donated all the lenses that I had to the astro' cause of other members, never had the 300 though, they produced some top class images so yours should be a great bargain.

The 135 / 1.8 is worth looking out for as well.

Dave

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Looks good Louise, hope it's worth all the fretting over the tax man.

I still have my Pentax Spotmatic but have donated all the lenses that I had to the astro' cause of other members, never had the 300 though, they produced some top class images so yours should be a great bargain.

The 135 / 1.8 is worth looking out for as well.

Dave

Hope it's ok. I bought it on a whim, really, and I wanted to see if I'd get an advantage from the bigger aperture. Although I moaned about paying import vat, it was still only £120 so seems a bargain and it is in mint condition. I've got the M42 200mm F4 Takumar which produces really good images - I've been using it for live stacking with a qhy5l-iim attached.

Louise

• Like 2

Being a sucker for Japan made optics, I found this little beauty to carry out star alignments with my 5" refractor on the NEQ6. I could have made do with a cheaper Illuminated reticle, but this just oozes quality !

The eye lens in the knurled turret rotates for focus, and it has two illuminated cross hairs.

This Orthoscopic Illuminated Reticle is made by Vixen, but no longer available new. The illuminated part is held in place by a collet, rather than the usual screw in type. Beautifully solidly  made.  :happy72:

IMG_0847.JPG

IMG_0848.JPG

Edited by Saganite
  • Like 9

A lovely Takahashi Epsilon delivered today - in beautiful nick (thanks to Richard in Ireland, its previous owner). Superfast at F/3.3 - when used with a night vision monocular and 55mm Plossl that speed will increase to F/1.7 - wickedly fast for sucking up light). 

IMG_1182.JPG

IMG_1184.JPG

IMG_1185.JPG

• Like 14

Hello.  Just took a delivery of a nice ES 82” 8,8 mm EP via UK ABS. 

Goes alng with its twin, now. 

Been wanting a good quality high power pair of EP’s for my binoviewers. My other eps are just standard plossls and do pretty well in their own right 

regards.  John 

AE29D958-5C4D-4D81-877B-22C5112837D7.jpeg

Edited by Telescope40
  • Like 3

On 11/04/2019 at 20:10, Highburymark said:

A lovely Takahashi Epsilon delivered today - in beautiful nick (thanks to Richard in Ireland, its previous owner). Superfast at F/3.3 - when used with a night vision monocular and 55mm Plossl that speed will increase to F/1.7 - wickedly fast for sucking up light). 

IMG_1182.JPG

IMG_1184.JPG

IMG_1185.JPG

Something doesn't look right to me. Is that focuser on the correct way and on the correct end of tube?

47 minutes ago, Gina said:

I can't see anything wrong.  Sorry Paul.

Just looks weird. I've never seen a R&P focuser sticking out the side of a scope and/or at the front end (?) of a scope. I'm assuming the front end because those look like spider vanes to me. I'm not familiar with this type of scope though.

*Edit*

I just Googled the scope and indeed everything is in the correct position and location. The focuser can indeed be rotated. 

Edited by LukeSkywatcher
  • Like 1

OK, so my latest edition to the telescope menagerie......

Orion Optics 140 Mak.      Bought from @Stu.   Many thanks.

1584368338_IMG_85222.thumb.jpg.d8de9143427bb6f0d8ac9837a76238aa.jpg

It produces sharp lunar images and is no slouch on the odd bright DSO as well.    Both focus and collimation have remained extremely stable through several nights of use.

1512417673_Craterchainsandterminatorcropjpg.jpg.662e617bef1c212a7d18aafc36e69de8.jpg1194348759_M13Action-LRGB.thumb.jpg.00cb0064e7b4f89e21445dc178cd72ae.jpg

Edited by Craney
  • Like 8

7 hours ago, Gina said:

Yes it's a Newtonian telescope.

Of sorts Gina. Although it has the complexion of an overripe banana, it's actually a "hyperboloid flat field catadioptric" - basically a Newtonian with ideas above its station. 

Just had a quick daytime first peak - focused on a local church spire - for an F/3.3 scope which has just been posted from Ireland, it appears to be perfectly collimated and very sharp. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Craney said:

OK, so my latest edition to the telescope menagerie......

Orion Optics 140 Mak.      Bought from @Stu.   Many thanks.

1584368338_IMG_85222.thumb.jpg.d8de9143427bb6f0d8ac9837a76238aa.jpg

It produces sharp lunar images and is no slouch on the odd bright DSO as well.    Both focus and collimation have remained extremely stable through several nights of use.

1512417673_Craterchainsandterminatorcropjpg.jpg.662e617bef1c212a7d18aafc36e69de8.jpg1194348759_M13Action-LRGB.thumb.jpg.00cb0064e7b4f89e21445dc178cd72ae.jpg

Missed t hi is post somehow. Scope looks great, as do the images.

• Thanks 1