Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

Hello.  Got this earlier this week.  Sure, Everyman and his dog has got a SW 9 x 50 finderscope.  The OCD kicked in and I now have one for each of my 3 scopes. This one was courtesy of SyedT. 

443DE83B-20CE-453F-A76E-BABDC8BC81C5.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BinocularSky said:

How do you adjust it so that it's parallel to the OTA optical axis?

It isn't adjustable but they do another version with a mini ball head that is. Actually any ball head could be used as the finder has standard photo screw threads.

I’ll sort out a mini ball head tomorrow and see if I like it.

• Like 1

My first 2" eyepiece. 

But it seems that the delivery came with a curse! USPS delivered my new toy, and the weather Gods delivered two days of clouds and rain!

I have to admit I was surprised at how much larger it is compared with its little brothers.

20190503_045421.jpg

• Like 4

7 hours ago, fwm891 said:

Should be easy to find one then....:D

I remembered I'm waiting on a mirror being silvered - I checked and it stripped well and is in the coating machine today, it should come back next week.

A few weeks ago I posted details of a Carton Japan 10.5mm eyepiece, which I like very much based on one good session so far.

Well, I found another one, a 28mm, which I didn't even realise existed! It arrived today and is shown below next to the 10.5mm.

Interestingly, the eye lenses look identical size on both eyepieces. The 28mm has, I believe, a 56 degree fov compared to the c 66 deg of the 10.5mm. They look very similar buildwise, and clearly came from the same factory.

The photos show both eyepieces wearing winged eye guards, which I like to observe with, and the original circular eyecups are shown to the side.

I know there was also a 16.8mm, also branded as Orion Megavista, but as yet I haven't been able to find one of these.

Finally, the seller, from whom I bought both of the above eyepieces, contacted me to ask if I would be interested in a Carton 7-21 zoom eyepiece!

I said yes please, and I should receive it in the next week or two. Another product I have never heard of, so I will be very interested to see how this one performs.

I will report on performance in the eyepiece forum once I have tested them properly?.

Dave

IMG_20190504_192409643.jpg

IMG_20190504_192216309.jpg

IMG_20190504_192320765.jpg

• Like 6

Got this today as my new low power eyepiece for my ST80. Grey skies here today but I tried it out on a tree. Rubber eyecup feels nice, it's comfortable to look through and seems sharp across the field, by day at least. It's nice it is similar in appearance to my ES 82 and 68 EPs.

IMG_20190506_154128968.jpg

Edited by Ags
  • Like 3

On 04/05/2019 at 20:06, F15Rules said:

A few weeks ago I posted details of a Carton Japan 10.5mm eyepiece, which I like very much based on one good session so far.

Well, I found another one, a 28mm, which I didn't even realise existed! It arrived today and is shown below next to the 10.5mm.

Interestingly, the eye lenses look identical size on both eyepieces. The 28mm has, I believe, a 56 degree fov compared to the c 66 deg of the 10.5mm. They look very similar buildwise, and clearly came from the same factory.

The photos show both eyepieces wearing winged eye guards, which I like to observe with, and the original circular eyecups are shown to the side.

I know there was also a 16.8mm, also branded as Orion Megavista, but as yet I haven't been able to find one of these.

Finally, the seller, from whom I bought both of the above eyepieces, contacted me to ask if I would be interested in a Carton 7-21 zoom eyepiece!

I said yes please, and I should receive it in the next week or two. Another product I have never heard of, so I will be very interested to see how this one performs.

I will report on performance in the eyepiece forum once I have tested them properly?.

Dave

IMG_20190504_192409643.jpg

IMG_20190504_192216309.jpg

IMG_20190504_192320765.jpg

Excellent Dave. It will be interesting to see how many more you unearth...:smiley:

• Haha 1

On 02/05/2019 at 16:57, BinocularSky said:

How do you adjust it [the solar finder] so that it's parallel to the OTA optical axis?

You do not adjust non-adjustable solar finders. You point the telescope to the sun, then you mark the position of the sun on the screen with a sharpie (plastic finder) or a pencil (SolFinder). 

The only adjustable ones I know are Televue SolSearchers.

The Lacerta and TS solar finders are .also adjustable. 

And the Svbony solar finder is available with a mini ball head mount which makes it fully adjustable. I added the ball head afterwards and it works a treat.

DE3C4145-137A-46D2-98C9-ED89B2CD355F.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, ThomasLondon said:

You do not adjust non-adjustable solar finders.

Ah. I suppose I must have missed the word "non-adjustable" in the original description of it.

18 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

The one I made just fits in a normal finder holder:

1907414998_Finishedfindernexttoourmachinedversion.thumb.JPG.6239b1e6df0ad25f84ba84e27b5ddb97.JPG

Ditto. Off-the-shelf plumbing parts, apart from the screen, which I cut from a plastic milk bottle.

image.png.b52106c408de519e987bdb463e23c4fc.png

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

Nothing snazzy just a common Sky-Watcher Startravel 120.

Congrats on your acquisition!  The ST120 is a nice 'scope - easy to handle, with great wide views (esp. with a 2" diagonal).  I have a good x2 Barlow for extra mag with mine.  The focuser is a weakness, but is OK.  (I did try a Crayford, but couldn't live with the way it slipped.)

Doug.

Thanks chaps. Doug I have a 2x barlow left over from the 130PS/AZ5 I intend to keep.

The 2" diagonal would be nice but atm funds are stretched! The OTA came with a 45 degree prism diagonal so I splashed out an extra £19.95 on an Opticstar Deluxe 90 degree mirror. It seems OK . The TV aerial I used to align the RDF looked sweet. ;)

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet

2 hours ago, F15Rules said:

Wanted one of these for years..will nicely complement my Sissy Haas volume:thumbsup:

I also received (separately) 2 nice Vixen NPL 30mms for binoviewing:hello2:

Dave

IMG_20190508_185246892.jpg

I also have that Dave , it is very useful.

Steve

• Like 2

Another little piece from space. Carbonaceous Chondrite type CV3. Interesting colours. The irregular shaped white bits are Calcium-Aluminium Inclusions (CAI's):

NWA10235.thumb.jpg.f0ffb6f9e6584fca40e529e9659b0841.jpg

• Like 5