SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

50 minutes ago, McNewt said:

Ahoy thar fellow astronomers!  Nah all thin's 'ave t' be fancy 'n expensive.  These ones prolly 'ave some o' th' best performance t' price ratio thar be.

eyepatches.jpg

I believe the only thing to say to that is....

Aaarrrgggh! ;)

• Haha 2

I found this theory of why pirates wore eye patches which is QI (quite interesting) :smiley:

"Actually, it looks like the only reason pirates wore eye patches was to keep one eye adjusted to darkness while boarding another ship. That’s right: If this theory is correct, they only wore the patch before and during a raid.

Think about it: Pirates needed to be able to fight and ransack both above and below deck, and since artificial light wasn’t a thing, it could get pretty dark down there. A guy could trip on a treasure chest or something. It takes the human eye several minutes to adjust to darkness — however, this way, pirates could simply swap the eye patch and immediately be prepared to fight in the lower decks without constantly running into walls, which is something you’d probably want to avoid if you’re carrying a cutlass.

Obviously we don’t know for sure that this was always the case, but this explanation does make more sense than “they all happened to lose one eye” or “they thought it would look cool.” True, you’re sacrificing your peripheral vision, but it’s better than having no vision at all. If you don’t believe us, it’s easy enough to try this yourself — just cover your eye with your hand for the next half hour and then walk into a dark closet.

In fact, this method works so well that it’s still used by the American military today. Nighttime survival guides recommend keeping one eye closed during bright lights to preserve night vision, and the same goes for military pilots. So all those movie pirates wearing eye patches all the time? Turns out they’re just being extra careful."

This does not explain need for the dodgy moustache, the parrot or the funny hat though :rolleyes2:

96382_v1.jpg.14832f4b2c066a7f72331a7bf8d02a0e.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

The Apollo astronauts also used eyepatches. 

This eye patch was provided to astronaut Michael Collins during the Apollo 11 mission for maintaining night vision in one eye during Earth and lunar orbits as well as covering one eye during use of the navigational eyepiece. First used during Apollo 9, these rubber patches were available in both the command and lunar modules.

8C476C77-5B63-46B9-94F1-DE854817CD8F.jpeg

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Paul73 said:

Two eyepatches? What could possibly go wrong?

A similar idea was tried by Zaphod Beeblebrox - if you can't see danger, you don't need to be afraid !

He used Joo Janta 200 Super-Chromatic Peril Sensitive Sunglasses - available from all good Betelgeusian eyewear dealers :smiley:

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, McNewt said:

Ahoy thar fellow astronomers!  Nah all thin's 'ave t' be fancy 'n expensive.  These ones prolly 'ave some o' th' best performance t' price ratio thar be.

eyepatches.jpg

Let me guess - you're a pirate with a flat treasure chest?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, John said:

I found this theory of why pirates wore eye patches which is QI (quite interesting) :smiley:

"Actually, it looks like the only reason pirates wore eye patches was to keep one eye adjusted to darkness while boarding another ship. That’s right: If this theory is correct, they only wore the patch before and during a raid.

Think about it: Pirates needed to be able to fight and ransack both above and below deck, and since artificial light wasn’t a thing, it could get pretty dark down there. A guy could trip on a treasure chest or something. It takes the human eye several minutes to adjust to darkness — however, this way, pirates could simply swap the eye patch and immediately be prepared to fight in the lower decks without constantly running into walls, which is something you’d probably want to avoid if you’re carrying a cutlass.

Obviously we don’t know for sure that this was always the case, but this explanation does make more sense than “they all happened to lose one eye” or “they thought it would look cool.” True, you’re sacrificing your peripheral vision, but it’s better than having no vision at all. If you don’t believe us, it’s easy enough to try this yourself — just cover your eye with your hand for the next half hour and then walk into a dark closet.

In fact, this method works so well that it’s still used by the American military today. Nighttime survival guides recommend keeping one eye closed during bright lights to preserve night vision, and the same goes for military pilots. So all those movie pirates wearing eye patches all the time? Turns out they’re just being extra careful."

This does not explain need for the dodgy moustache, the parrot or the funny hat though :rolleyes2:

96382_v1.jpg.14832f4b2c066a7f72331a7bf8d02a0e.jpg

Indeed!  Mythbusters did an episode about Pirate-myths and the eyepatch was one they tested.   Plausible.  (It is possible to find it on YouTube by searching for 'mythbusters pirate eye patch'.  Not linking here since it may be a copyright violation.)

• Haha 1

A new to me Gitzo GH2720 QR head for my lightest weight travel setup following a review from @iPeacea while ago. 

Shown here with my ZS66SD in WL solar mode. 

Copes nicely with this setup though the panning arm is much more flimsy than I'd expect on a head of this price bracket. 

IMG_20190422_094607.jpg

IMG_20190422_094544.jpg

• Like 5

8 hours ago, AdeKing said:

the panning arm is much more flimsy

Wouldn't expect this finding. Surely it doesn't flex?

The unit as a whole has been designed to be lightweight, for sure.

Edited by iPeace

7 hours ago, iPeace said:

Wouldn't expect this finding. Surely it doesn't flex?

The unit as a whole has been designed to be lightweight, for sure.

I've managed to reduce some of the flex by tightening the clamp very tight, which has improved the feel significantly, but the panning handle definitely flexes.

However, it feels more like I was expecting it to now. ?

• Like 1

EQ6 extension pilar for my AZ-EQ5 mount.  ?

The EQ5 pilar was taller than I wanted so went for the EQ6 one. And yes that is an EQ6 tripod with 2” legs. I’m using a Geoptik adaptor.

72BDC3D0-2B42-4A09-8226-12ECF24FF0D7.jpeg

A34136BA-6864-4697-AB9F-A910CF676866.jpeg

6CAB7B08-09D3-4076-8B43-1ABDA7BD3D0F.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 5

Vixen High Resolution (HR) 3.4mm eyepiece. Beautifully built and NO undercut!:thumbsup:

I've been getting some very nice higher power views of doubles lately, and I think the FS128 can go higher with the right eyepiece.

I just had to try this beauty, courtesy of Mike (iPeace), and wonderfully packaged as always. It's like new. Thanks Mike!:headbang:

This will give me x305 native and x489 with a 1.6x barlow nosepiece on the odd really steady night.

I also have in mind more Lunar viewing and Jupiter/Saturn later this year ?

Dave

IMG_20190423_123131872.jpg

IMG_20190423_123201987.jpg

Edited by F15Rules
Photos added
  • Like 9

Was hoping (against hope) that I might get to have a play with tomorrows Saturn, Jupiter and Moon appearance.

The cloud forecast has really put it's back into giving that a 100% obscured event however. Well done indeed.

Have really enjoyed the Morpheus EP's thus far.

(Picked this one one up on offer at £150 new from Astroshop, which is a real bargain should anyone be remotely interested)

IMG_1075.JPG

IMG_1076.JPG

Edited by steveex2003
  • Like 3

On 21/04/2019 at 16:52, johninderby said:

The Apollo astronauts also used eyepatches. 

This eye patch was provided to astronaut Michael Collins during the Apollo 11 mission for maintaining night vision in one eye during Earth and lunar orbits as well as covering one eye during use of the navigational eyepiece. First used during Apollo 9, these rubber patches were available in both the command and lunar modules.

8C476C77-5B63-46B9-94F1-DE854817CD8F.jpeg

That's not just an eyepatch, it's a NASA eyepatch, so it probably cost the American taxpayer about $50,000.  ?

20190424_165023.thumb.jpg.df9cfb0e5660c55dd708e81e2550b8a1.jpg

Arrived today courtesy of FLO.

A bit of an experiment really,  to see how far I can push my 12 inch SW Dob on the Moon and planet's without breaking  the bank. My 6.5mm Baader Morpheus gives amazing views, but they are still sharp (when seeing allows), so I'm going to try this little beastie for starters. In reality I think that 5mm will probably be the sensible limit most nights. Just have to wait another couple of months for the planet's to be up in the evenings.

Initial impressions are it feels solid and well made and surprisingly weighty. The rubber textured grip feels reassuringly secure to hold. A nice big eye lens which I like, and the rubber eye cup feels firm but has a bit of flex as well.

For a budget EP I'm pleased so far.

Edited by Geoff Barnes
  • Like 3

57 minutes ago, Geoff Barnes said:

20190424_165023.thumb.jpg.df9cfb0e5660c55dd708e81e2550b8a1.jpg

Arrived today courtesy of FLO.

A bit of an experiment really,  to see how far I can push my 12 inch SW Dob on the Moon and planet's without breaking  the bank. My 6.5mm Baader Morpheus gives amazing views, but they are still sharp (when seeing allows), so I'm going to try this little beastie for starters. In reality I think that 5mm will probably be the sensible limit most nights. Just have to wait another couple of months for the planet's to be up in the evenings.

Initial impressions are it feels solid and well made and surprisingly weighty. The rubber textured grip feels reassuringly secure to hold. A nice big eye lens which I like, and the rubber eye cup feels firm but has a bit of flex as well.

For a budget EP I'm pleased so far.

I have the 6mm and its surprising how good they are. Rob

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, laudropb said:

I have the 2.5 mm and it has given me some lovely lunar views. Definitely performs way above its price tag.

Good to hear laudropb! With which scope do you use it, or find it works best and at what magnification?

• Like 1