Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

4 minutes ago, Ags said:

Frankly I object to the sentiment and political nature of the above post.

I think Paul is just saying that he has read the leaflet and is acting on the advice, nothing contentious.

As a general guide though, please keep this topic to astro related items arriving as it is in the Astro lounge. I'm sure none of you are interested in my latest bills!

Thanks all!

• Like 1

No time to object anyway. Paul is recycling a book about recycling and this will create an infinite loop of recycling which will create a vortex, sucking in the entire universe and spitting out recycled material on the other side of the vortex...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

-which ones?

They are advertised as "52mm 2X Magnification Telephoto Tele Converter Lens for Digital SLR Camera " on a well known auction site.
Takes a while to arrive from China. They are fairly cheap. Not the best quality: no anti-reflection coating and there are some specs inside the lens. 
I plan to stick them inside some 'welding goggles' or 'safety goggles' for a bit of fun on family star gazing nights. Improves on the Mk1 eyeball anyway ?

• Like 1

Excited about this, postman brought me a new Skywatcher Star Adventurer with all the trimmings. I’ll be digesting the manual over the next few days, always makes one feel like a kid again when you get something neat in the mail.

A4737BD7-9AD4-416C-AB09-5779B2421825.jpeg

ED065D82-8DEA-4977-93FA-93542A4C8202.jpeg

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Sunshine said:

Excited about this, postman brought me a new Skywatcher Star Adventurer with all the trimmings. I’ll be digesting the manual over the next few days, always makes one feel like a kid again when you get something neat in the mail.

ED065D82-8DEA-4977-93FA-93542A4C8202.jpeg

Stoppit! Stoppit! I really don't need one of those...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Skywatcher EQ6 tripod with 2” legs and a Geoptik HEQ5 Tripod Adaptor.

While I love my Berlebach wooden tripod didn’t want to have to keep swapping the Skytee II and AZ-EQ5 GT mounts so decided to get a reasonably sturdy tripod for the Skytee. With the Geoptik adapter will be able to use it for anything from an EQ5 to an EQ6 in the future if I want. ?

Also will tuck away in the corner of the conservatory behind the door. ?

1E4B8CB1-952D-49B9-A4BB-5BD7F50BE28D.jpeg

A5D1C14C-919E-4972-B982-834C78DD5807.jpeg

BD217AAC-1845-4BA4-BB42-04E4FBF2CDDC.jpeg

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Skywatcher EQ6 tripod with 2” legs and a Geoptik HEQ5 Tripod Adaptor.

Oooh! I was going to make an adapter to mount my star Adventurer on my eq3 tripod but maybe that one will do the trick and, it looks smashing. Where did you get it? was it expensive?.

9 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

Oooh! I was going to make an adapter to mount my star Adventurer on my eq3 tripod but maybe that one will do the trick and, it looks smashing. Where did you get it? was it expensive?.

Not that cheap really but it is beautifully made. Got it from RotherValleyOptics.

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/search/for/Geoptik+adapter/page/1/

9 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Not that cheap really but it is beautifully made. Got it from RotherValleyOptics.

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/search/for/Geoptik+adapter/page/1/

Thanks for the link, I guess I would have to buy a length of 3/8 threaded rod and some washers, the securing rod for my GP Mount is too big for the star Adventurer Mount.

On 13/03/2019 at 17:16, Stu said:

Yesterday I received a very nice Vixen HR 3.4mm eyepiece, and a polar scope kit for my Vixen GP mount which I shall fit as soon as I get a chance.

I keep reading good things about these Vixen HR eyepieces, so be sure to give us your thoughts when you can Stu. I doubt that I would need to worry too much about a pair of 3.4's though, my eyes would be watering too much to get any benefit. :smiley:

• Haha 3

I had a 2.5mm LV and used it many times to great benefit with my FC100DC Stu. I think its a great eyepiece thats become unfashionable due to its narrow field, but at 296X in the 100mm Tak, it gave a useable image scale and a reasonably sharp view of Mars at only 4.8" arc. A very nice eyepiece IMHO!

• Like 1

Astro Hutech 5mm Ortho.

Looks identical to my Fujiyama 12.5mm pair, and is optically the same as BGO, Fujiyama, Antares HD, University HD orrho etc.

Too short eye relief for binoviewing for my eyes, but great for Cyclops viewing of closer doubles. The narrow 42 degree field may put some off , but IMHO these eyepieces have some of the best scatter control, contrast and sharpness ever seen in mainstream eyepieces.

I will use this with a winged eyeguard which will control stray light and I find helps to make the best use of the short available eye relief.

IMG_20190316_194745471.jpg

IMG_20190316_194737495.jpg

IMG_20190316_194731983.jpg

The last shot includes a rather good Australian Shiraz,  with which a couple of glasses I toasted the arrival of the 5mm today ☺?

Dave

Edited by F15Rules
Typos
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Camera remote intervalometer thingybob.
Got bored and blinded when using the phone app.

Lots of test pictures of the fruit bowl so far.

Seems to work fine as long as the 'interval' is set to whatever you want + about a few seconds to allow the camera to write the last file and get itself ready for the next picture.

WP_20190317_09_31_51_Pro.jpg

• Like 1