SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

So, the delivery man arrived just now with 3 Amazon packages. I knew because he was banging on the front door. The reason was I had removed the old doorbell push button yesterday as it had broken. When he helpfully pointed out I didn't have a doorbell I said "I know, but you've got the replacement in one of those packages". Which he did. It's now installed, but I have to select the least annoying tune. Maybe go for the Addam's Family theme tune....

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

14 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

It's now installed, but I have to select the least annoying tune. Maybe go for the Addam's Family theme tune....

Mines still playing Jingle Bells because I can't find the instructions to change it :D

Dave

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Davey-T said:

Mines still playing Jingle Bells because I can't find the instructions to change it :D

Dave

?

the problem with the unit I have is that there is a single button to press to advance from one tune to the next. The trouble is, if you go beyond the one you want, you must recycle through all the other 49 tunes until you get back to it.

Not so popular with the rest of the family, I can assure you.

As a result I've been banned from the house all afternoon. Taking refuge in the obsy.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

A replacement draw tube and bearings for my moonlight focuser, good man is Ron, very helpful and easy to deal with.

Just a shame how postage and customs nonsense make $ = £ when it comes to stuff direct from the US

• Like 3

On 30/08/2018 at 15:54, Red Dwarfer said:

William Optics Alt-Az mount from ENS Optical 

Waited ages to get one of this type of mount . 

Looks like it was made for the AZ4 tripod too ?

FB207991-61BB-4CE3-8D7A-B6A2E98EE076.jpeg

945501BF-3FDB-42BA-967A-5EF7EF1A1E8A.png

66E44A90-0589-4D97-BFED-329C6573B787.png

Looks great ? I’m interested in getting this mount also. How are you getting on with it? Thanks 

Edited by Sky-searcher
  • Like 1

Just arrived - REVELATION 2" x2 ED BARLOW.

This will be great with my short focus fracs., visual only.  I had considered a Focal Extender, but it is quite weighty, whereas this little beauty is just 239g without the EP adaptor (my EPs are all 2", or already have adaptors).

Looking forward to trying it out, but I'll have to wait until my birthday in June!

Doug.

P1070016.JPG

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Sky-searcher said:

Looks great ? I’m interested in getting this mount also.

As you probably know, this mount is no longer made, nor is its successor, the William Optics EZTouch, which I have. There is a thread here:

The EZTouch is superb with my 4-inch Tak refractor and performs well with the Celestron 9.25, but it's at its limit.

They can be picked up on the used market. from time to time.

'Out of the blue into the black'

Edited by JeremyS
  • Like 1

I have an EZTouch as well and its a great mount that I use quite often with either an ED120 or ED100.  

It struggles a bit with vibrations on my Starwave F/11 though, but thats more down to the length of the tube than the weight.  

58 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

As you probably know, this mount is no longer made, nor is its successor, the William Optics EZTouch, which I have. 

I think that there is actually still a version of the mount posted above that is in production.  365Astronomy have a Giant Alt-AZ or GIAZ mount which looks nearly identical apart from the colour.

https://www.365astronomy.com/Giant-Alt-Azimuth-Telescope-Mount-with-Stainless-Steel-Tripod.html

With proper balancing these mounts are an absolute pleasure to use.

Ade

Edited by AdeKing
spelling
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, AdeKing said:

Agree, Ade. Proper balancing of the EZ Touch is important. A counterweight is not needed with my 3-inch Tak, helps a bit with the 4-inch refractor and a lot with the C9.25.

2 minutes ago, AdeKing said:

think that there is actually still a version of the mount posted above that is in production.  365Astronomy have a Giant Alt-AZ of GIAZ mount which looks nearly identical apart from the colour.

Wasn't aware of that. I do see the similarity. The rubric in the ad says up to 12 kg capacity....

1 hour ago, JeremyS said:

As you probably know, this mount is no longer made, nor is its successor, the William Optics EZTouch, which I have. There is a thread here:

The EZTouch is superb with my 4-inch Tak refractor and performs well with the Celestron 9.25, but it's at its limit.

They can be picked up on the used market. from time to time.

'Out of the blue into the black'

Thanks Jeremy, have been looking at the Gaint az mount from 365. Similar/identical mount to the EZtouch, but couldn’t find to many reviews on either mount. You have helped to reassure that it’s the mount for my uses. Always come back to this one when checking others that are available. Thanks very much for info ?

7 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Agree, Ade. Proper balancing of the EZ Touch is important. A counterweight is not needed with my 3-inch Tak, helps a bit with the 4-inch refractor and a lot with the C9.25.

Wasn't aware of that. I do see the similarity. The rubric in the ad says up to 12 kg capacity....

I wasn't aware either until recently when someone pointed it out in a post.  The C9.25 looks a bit of a monster.

I really need to drill out and tap one of my short dovetails to take my EQ6 counterweight bar so that I can use a counterweight on my mount, like you have.  I'm too tight to pay for one when I have the parts laying around, just need a suitable drill and tap.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AdeKing said:

I have an EZTouch as well and its a great mount that I use quite often with either an ED120 or ED100.  

It struggles a bit with vibrations on my Starwave F/11 though, but thats more down to the length of the tube than the weight.  

I think that there is actually still a version of the mount posted above that is in production.  365Astronomy have a Giant Alt-AZ or GIAZ mount which looks nearly identical apart from the colour.

https://www.365astronomy.com/Giant-Alt-Azimuth-Telescope-Mount-with-Stainless-Steel-Tripod.html

Ade

Thanks Ade, the Gaint mount is the one I have seen. Very reasonable on price on does everything I need it to do ?

17 minutes ago, Sky-searcher said:

Thanks Jeremy, have been looking at the Gaint az mount from 365. Similar/identical mount to the EZtouch, but couldn’t find to many reviews on either mount. You have helped to reassure that it’s the mount for my uses. Always come back to this one when checking others that are available. Thanks very much for info ?

Just beware that although they might look similar externally, they might be different internally, e.g. bearings/quality control. I've not seen the Giant az mount so I can't comment how it performs. Maybe it's even better than the EZTouch?

Edited by JeremyS
  • Like 1

Pressure switch which I plan to use to check the internal pressure in my all sky camera casing.  I'm using a slightly positive pressure of a few inches of water to stop ingress of moisture in the event of a leak.  The internal air being desiccated to prevent condensation when the astro camera is cooled to -20°C.

spacer.png

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Just beware that although they might look similar externally, they might be different internally, e.g. bearings/quality control. I've not seen the Gaint az mount so I can't comment how it performs. Maybe it's even better than the EZTouch?

Thanks Jeremy, totally understand quality maybe not the same or could be identical mount, but couldn’t find too much info when googling it on the net. No bad reports, so usually means it’s okay! Nice to hear some good reports. Thanks 

• Like 1

Yesterday I had a nice StellarVue 9x50 RACI finder and 12mm Circle V Ortho delivered thanks to @F15Rules, thanks Dave. 

I'm very impressed with this, it's a proper small telescope and may well be used as a very compact travel setup. Just waiting for guidescope rings to arrive on a slow boat from China. 

Looking forward to trying out the Ortho in the LS60 today. 

IMG_20190502_062628.jpg

• Like 7