Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

Demon Barber

Galloway Spring Gathering 2018

5 minutes ago, mapstar said:

Nice view across the bay

20180319_183124.thumb.jpg.eeedfbf11181ab27e8f1802b60e1ba13.jpg

Scope is set up ready, even got my deck chair out 

20180319_182028.thumb.jpg.7ece81e67260f152ae36bcc4fbcff73a.jpg

Mike has brought us something to remind us of abscent friends 

20180319_182932.thumb.jpg.2f8f4c46e9663479cb784294bc0c122d.jpg

Hows that baffle working

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

Hows that baffle working

I'll tell you once we've emptied the bottle :icon_biggrin:

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mapstar said:

Nice view across the bay

What a fabulous site and a stunning location. Hope it stays clear...there's clouds coming over my way tonight but at the moment it looks unlikely!

Hi Mike,can u txt me your number....ive changed phone and don't seem to have it now.

Kenny

Good to hear you are all settled in and enjoying some clear skies...hope it continues for the rest of the week.

See you all Thursday evening.

PS...Mike, I will ring you around lunchtime tommorow.Ian txt me your number.

Kenny

Edited by kenny k

5 hours ago, mapstar said:

I'll tell you once we've emptied the bottle :icon_biggrin:

Down the sink is the best way. ?

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Last night was clear with lots of stars out but the milkyway was strangely abscent. There were plenty of views but they were mushy ones.

We packed up around midnight with the temperature dropping to a chilly -5°C and retired for a warm.

Waking this morning the skies were still clear but revealed what we were trying to see through.

20180320_071334.thumb.jpg.7fd8df2f87586165d20f42f216c37ef0.jpg

20180320_071359.thumb.jpg.5e51ebd0cb05c4e17a2d7525cd46167b.jpg

I viewed a lot of targets and was happy hopping all over the skies without the permacloud being there. 

Most packed up around the same time with Dai packing up about an hour later after spending about half an hour trying for caldwell 5 (IC342) a spiral galaxy in camelopardalis without success.

The weather forecast isn't looking any good now until friday/Saturday when the colder weather returns.

• Like 5

Shame it was not really clear. Mike says the site has dried out OK so not plodging. The weather has been all over the place for the last few years. Got to get some luck shortly. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mapstar said:

Nice view across the bay

Urghhhh???

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Physopto said:

Shame it was not really clear. Mike says the site has dried out OK so not plodging. The weather has been all over the place for the last few years. Got to get some luck shortly. 

Looks like we'll be trying some of the malt tonight. Can you recommend this Macallan Gold Derren :icon_biggrin:

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, mapstar said:

Nice view across the bay

Flippin eck, I see a clear space around the bottle of MACALLAN, canny be Mike's van hehehehehe :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Beautiful clear skies here, hope it is the same with you guys.

• Like 2

A few tiny patches of clouds about here but the sky is pretty much clear at present.

We aren't sure how much whispy high stuff their is though as its disappeared now the sun has set. It definitely blighted last nights views :undecided: 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jamie56 said:

Urghhhh???

Yea Mike does like a joke. At least I don't have to peddle that this year ? Got you lot ter get rid of it last year. ????

• Haha 3

The bulk of the crew don't usually arrive till mid week onwards, some only for a long weekend, if the skies are kind though it's well worth it.

7 hours ago, DeepSkyBagger said:

The field looks pretty deserted. How many of you are there?

The field has filled up since the last shot. I'd say around 15 upto now but more joining us tomorrow. 

• Like 2

Had plenty of high cloud after sunset last night which gave little clear patches here and there which made viewing very difficult/non-existant so decided to "chill out" in the warm room for a while.

Popped out about 10ish with the intention of putting the cover over the dob for the night and saw the high cloud had mostly cleared but leaving a very washed out and milky sky similar to monday night.

Thought I'd try for a couple of faint fuzzies before packing away but ended up having a bit of a session where I bagged 10 new NGCs in Leo :icon_biggrin: The views were pretty awful but they all count nonetheless!

3810;3640;3593;3521;3190;3489;2964;3193;3226;3227

Big thanks to Mike for the warm welcome. Great to look through Damian's dob and spot the horse head again. And cheers Adrian and Julian for helping me pitch my tent, chase it across two fields, repair it and pitch it again!!

• Like 3

I am sure the clouds will clear, after I arrive tomorrow :headbang:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Uplooker said:

I am sure the clouds will clear, after I arrive tomorrow :headbang:

Well this is what the sky looked like on Tuesday night around 10:15pm albeit with a little stretching .

North is at the top but east is on the left and west on the right.

Andy

Oculus-2018-03-19T22-15-06-495.jpg

Edited by AndyKeogh
added key for the display

but the Adrian, get things through the post from son & Flo, and the rain has set in......