Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Galloway Gathering Feb 2015

Hi Mike,

Only a few days more before the start of a wonderful clear skies week!

Still not sure whether I will be there very late on Monday evening or just after lunch on Tuesday.

I have to be at Capel-le-Dale for Friday evening as it is the Annual Dinner of DAG on Saturday.

So I hope to see some of the regulars at Galloway.

See you there.

Cheers

Adrian

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Damian,hope you are keeping okay?Thought you would have finished by now :evil:  no good slacking, i hope the weather plays ball.

Have you got the woodwork all done,or is there still bits to do?

Will email you during the week to with news of the skies  :Envy:  :Envy:  :Envy:  :Envy: ,

Regards

Mike

Hi Damian,hope you are keeping okay?Thought you would have finished by now :evil: no good slacking, i hope the weather plays ball.

Have you got the woodwork all done,or is there still bits to do?

Will email you during the week to with news of the skies :Envy::Envy::Envy::Envy: ,

Regards

Mike

Hi Mike

I'm fine thanks hope you are too? At present I'm still on with the mirror so not even started the wood work yet. I'm enjoying it though as it's a steep learning curve but will be so satisfying in the end.

I'm getting there steadily but it's still going to be a huge task for the end of the year. Once the mirror is done it will be the hard part out of the way and full steam ahead on the other bits.

Wish I was joining you guys next week as it'll be crystal clear

I'll be attending this time next year for definite and will try to get Kieran up too as it's his job to put the Feb event video together!! He he

Damian

Hi Damian,

It is a shame that you won't be at Galloway next week. I sincerely hope you are right about it being crystal clear - unfortunately I do not share your optimism :huh:

Ian

PS. Get on with that blooming mirror / scope. Suppose the only downside is that when you bring it to the next Galloway meet you will struggle to get a look through it as everyone else will be pushing you out of the way for a looksey :grin:

Hi Damian,

It is a shame that you won't be at Galloway next week. I sincerely hope you are right about it being crystal clear - unfortunately I do not share your optimism :huh:

Ian

PS. Get on with that blooming mirror / scope. Suppose the only downside is that when you bring it to the next Galloway meet you will struggle to get a look through it as everyone else will be pushing you out of the way for a looksey :grin:

Oh Hell Ian,

There always has to be one to put the kibosh on it!

Think "POSITIVELY IT IS GOING TO BE REALY CLEAR"

:p

Derek

Hi Mike

I'm fine thanks hope you are too? At present I'm still on with the mirror so not even started the wood work yet. I'm enjoying it though as it's a steep learning curve but will be so satisfying in the end.

I'm getting there steadily but it's still going to be a huge task for the end of the year. Once the mirror is done it will be the hard part out of the way and full steam ahead on the other bits.

I'll be attending this time next year for definite and will try to get Kieran up too as it's his job to put the Feb event video together!! He he

Damian

Hi Damian,

I have some half empty old tins of Brasso if needed to polish the mirror!!

:grin:

Derek

Thanks for the offer Derek.

Hopefully I'll get there but it's driving me mad!!!!

I got 4, 4.5 and 9 inch angle grinders!!!!! Might just speed up things a bit.

You goda think positive, one bit done, next bity etc., and you are that much closer every time!! Hell, I have  just spent nearly 5 years gutting the house and putting it back together again, living in dust and listening to the other half winging! ( well she really isn't that bad ).

Mirrors?  Piece of P*"£!$. :wink:

Hope you will be bringing it to the autumn camp so we can see your efforts.

All the best,

Derek

Oh Hell Ian,

There always has to be one to put the kibosh on it!

Think "POSITIVELY IT IS GOING TO BE REALY CLEAR"

:p

Derek

Hi Derek,

I do apologise. I am truly hoping that it is going to be clear - honest! It has been pea soup here for the last 2 weeks, just looked out and it clear! Unfortunately I am just way too tired to even contemplate going out

Ian

So thinking positively, where is the best place for a forecast for next week?

Andy

On the Drumroamin site. Follow the steps below:-

1. Look outside tent or caravan.
  2. If its cloudy, go back inside and have a drink.
  3. Repeat step 2 until its clear.
  4. If it is clear - view or image.
  5. If it becomes cloudy, wait 15 - 30 mins
  6. Return to step 2.
  7. When unable to perform step 2, stop drinking!

Ian

Hello All,well have made a start on loading the car,not paying much attention to forecast(it does look good tomorrow night) it will be   well  weather!!!!

Hope to be onsite late pm and set up toot sweet,Adrian if you do make a late start the kitchen and bar wil be open late,just keep me posted.

Have been threatening to take less gear(and yes i`ve seen the Doc) ,we`ll see.

See everyone as they get to the site,

Regards

Mike

Hi Mike,

I am part packed.

Have to go to London first, hope to be back home by 15:00 and leave for Galloway by 16:00.

Planning topping up at Tesco in Dumfries.

Should be at the camp site between midnight and 02:00 am.

Good to know that you plan to stay open until early.

Have a safe trip from Newcastle.

Cheers

Adrian

Hi Jonathan,

The Galloway party has started with a crystal clear sky, great way to start.... hope that every night is this perfect!

Mike has made a very eatable soup.... it warms you up.

Still in my shorts, the temperature is currently -1c. Mike's car is covered in this white stuff.

Just opened a bottle of Highland Park....

Must go out again to enjoy the view.

Trust Kielder is as good.

As per usual campsite is in immaculate condition.

Clear skies

Adrian

Glad the skies are being good to you guys and thanks for the weather and site report Adrian it's making me wish I was there

I've just had 3 hours out myself and thoroughly enjoyed it even though it's only 2" finder I've been using ;-)

Clear skies

Damian

Glad the skies are being good to you guys and thanks for the weather and site report Adrian it's making me wish I was thereI've just had 3 hours out myself and thoroughly enjoyed it even though it's only 2" finder I've been using ;-)Clear skiesDamian

d

Hi Damian,

Just got here this afternoon. Great trip across the country. Nice weather, bit of wind but looking good for later this week. You are realy missing out ;). Still there is always the next star camp!!!!!

Regards,

Derek

Hi,

Tonight is a great opportunity to report the state of play.

Well, it is complete cloud cover at present, the wind is blowing and it is freezing outside.

Scopes are up and covered awaiting action.

I have just opened the March edition of the S@N magazine.... no disk in it.....I better contact the publisher and get them to forward one on.

Mike did a very nice Chinese curry for dinner. As per usual the food at this star party is of a high quality.

Speaking to a friend who lives in Bristol, she tells me there is clear skies there tonight. Are we in the right place?

I think there time for a Highland Park whiskey before those clouds disappear........................

Here's hoping for clear skies.

Cheers

Adrian

Hi All just a quick update------its raining,no stars last night,we live in hope temperature is unsesonly warm and the site is draining fine .

The forecasts have been wrong so here`s hoping the skies clear,it`s giving us loads of time to check the gear which worked fine at home in the observatory,but which mysteriously refuses to play ball,the joys of  astronomy :mad:  things can only get better,see you later,

Regards 

Mike

hi mike its crystal clear here at kielder ha ha just kidding we,er clouded out as well living in hope, dennis.

Hi Dennis,

Yes we got fantastic weather too!

Bright sky's during the day, wonderfully clear tonight. Set up the scope this afternoon, ready to image.

Oh da&£, it's started to blow a bit, well truthfully, it's raining abit as well!

Tomorrow is promising! ;)

Derek

Hi,

Just back from the Steam Packet at Isle of Whithorn, given that the drink limit has be reduced in Scotland I was on Orange and Tonic Water.

The wind is very breezy from the south west at the harbour, plus a spring tide looks that a flood is a good possibility.

Back at Dunroamin' campsite, everybody is having a great time with the wind and rain. Mike is preparing a strip of lights, he has tons of time before we see clear skies again.

Tomorrow is going to be a lot better, this wind will blow the rain away and the sun will be out in the morning.

Where's the whiskey gone?

Cheers

Adrian

Archived