Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Galloway Spring Gathering 2018

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, wackyscot said:

Where are all the pictures ??? LOL - looks like you're having a ball down there :) Looks good for Sunday guys

Yup they are having a ball, that's why there are no pictures. All these excuses about the weather, PAH !

More like ,,,,,,,  ? ???????

2 hours ago, Uplooker said:

Good SP so far, although limited gazing done apart from a bit of Ha solar this afternoon.

The site is certainly quieter without  Derren, he is sorely missed, not so fussed about the Derek bloke ?

looks like we may get a good night tonight. Failed to get Mercury earlier

To be sure to be sure  ???

High hazy cloud whilst the moon was up gave way eventually to a large gap around 4am that revealed the milkyway in all it's glory.

By then though It was mk1 eyeball as I climbed into the sleeping bag :thumbright:

5 hours ago, mapstar said:

High hazy cloud whilst the moon was up gave way eventually to a large gap around 4am that revealed the milkyway in all it's glory.

By then though It was mk1 eyeball as I climbed into the sleeping bag :thumbright:

By Eck Lad, not up ter yer usual tenacious self ! Did the super glue fail? ??????

43 minutes ago, Physopto said:

By Eck Lad, not up ter yer usual tenacious self ! Did the super glue fail? ??????

Agreed Derren. Like quite a few I don't seem to be able to get enthused about it this season :undecided:

Just at Carlise on the way home as the moon is just up for too long to make staying worth it. 

Home now. Good run back.

I had a very enjoyable SP and enjoyed meeting old and new faces alike.

I hope all the new attendees had a good time and managed to experience a little of the magic that Galloway SP to offer through the comaradery and skies. The Milky Way looked fabulous for about 15mins at 0330 (GMT)

Hope to see all again for the autumn SP

P.S. I did miss you really, Derek. ?

Massive thanks to everyone at the Galloway SP.  Incredibly friendly and informative folk, will definitely be back for the autumn SP. if we are allowed back!  Ropey drive home today but few scoops down, feel much better now! hope everyone gets back home safely.  

Cheers?

On 3/23/2018 at 08:07, mapstar said:

Morning all

We certainly had a bit of rain last night but the tent took it all in its stride and it seems to be a lot calmer today.

I'm just sat with a cuppa to rehydrate myself after the usual inclement weather past time of tasting a few malts during the evening. We finally turned in at 2am.

Shame to hear you'll not make it Stuart see you and the rest of the regulars in Autumn. 

Sounds like I made the right call, It can be a great place when the stars shine but when the wind and rain comes in .......Looking forward to Autumn already on the first day of summer ... with snow forecast next week.....

2 hours ago, rockystar said:

It's useful for something Damian. And don't worry, I won't tell everyone on SGL about your mammoth luna session ;):D

Any port in a storm and all that.

59 minutes ago, Uplooker said:

Home now. Good run back.

I had a very enjoyable SP and enjoyed meeting old and new faces alike.

I hope all the new attendees had a good time and managed to experience a little of the magic that Galloway SP to offer through the comaradery and skies. The Milky Way looked fabulous for about 15mins at 0330 (GMT)

Hope to see all again for the autumn SP

P.S. I did miss you really, Derek. ?

Home myself now and although the stars shone very briefly I'll second what Ian has said above.

Always a shame to get back to reality but here's looking forward to Autumns SP if I can make it.

Cheers, Ian, thanks for the help and guidance, will be better prepped for the next one, and hopefully marginally more knowledgable!  Thanks to Damien and Richard also. Who spent their own valuable time looking at my double cluster that I couldn’t even find with a goto.            ( definitely battery issues? ok [removed word] user)! Lesley too for pulling my wagon when I got stuck. Dodged the malts this time, but was seeing 5 Saturn’s at about 6Am so prob a good idea. Focused on the one in the middle. Still good though.

All the best. 

Clear skies.?

Phew, just got home safe and sound!

Great to catch up with everyone again and it was very satisfying to finally get some time at the eyepiece for what seems like an age since the last session.

Hope everyone still at the camp have a good night.

Cheers Mike and Lesley for everything :thumbright:

On a personal note, I have an on going issue with IC342. Yes you know who you are Mr Caldwell 5. Your evasiveness is most impressive and you've managed to elude me yet again. But I have a message for you........I know what you are but I don't know what you want. If you're looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money... but what I do have is a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long time. Skills that make me a nightmare for DSOs like you. I will look for you, I will pursue you, I will find you................ and I will tick you off the list :icon_biggrin:

Dai,

Great to see you and chat, even though it was probably the 2nd day before you understood even a 3rd of what I was saying. Liz asked if that was because copious amounts of whiskey had been inbibed. The answer was a most definite no - most of the time?

Hope you had a good run down.

Make sure you get there in Oct as the skies have been told that they MUST play ball as it is the 10th anniversary of the event.

Stay safe and clear skies

Just in case @TheMightyKong gets a chance to read this tonight - unlikely, how was your round trip from Newtown Stewart to London and then up to Newcastle? Even if there were no hold ups or traffic, I am sure it was not good, rather you than me. Hope everything is AoK. This will wrangle Damian, but the lunar views through your scope  we’re beautiful, thanks for the look!

@mapstar , yes I know it was comparing apples and pears ?

57 minutes ago, Demon Barber said:

Hello all, here`s a quick shot of a forgotten scope, and yes that is stars in the sky.

Well back outside as we have had clear skies from sunset, will post longer later.

Regards,

Mike.

p s Dai i did not know you were a film buff.

IMG_6897.JPG

That’s would be the Sunday night syndrome ?

Really good to see you again Mike. Thank you again for your usual faultless hospitality and for organising the event, very much appreciated by everyone who attended.

I would like to ask just one favour - can you please not book the moons attendance next time ?

Thanks again, looking forward to the 10th anniversary one in Oct.

7 hours ago, mapstar said:

Agreed Derren. Like quite a few I don't seem to be able to get enthused about it this season :undecided:

Just at Carlise on the way home as the moon is just up for too long to make staying worth it. 

I know the moon isn't your favourite lump in the sky, just a shame the weather was not more favourable. I was sorry to miss you all, as I was hoping to be across for a visit at least. Just not to be this time. 

Seems like you all got home safely, so have to look forwards to the next ( not the 10th anniversary) star camp?:hello2:

Hope to meet up with you all there.

Derek

1 hour ago, Uplooker said:

Dai,

Great to see you and chat, even though it was probably the 2nd day before you understood even a 3rd of what I was saying. Liz asked if that was because copious amounts of whiskey had been inbibed. The answer was a most definite no - most of the time?

Hope you had a good run down.

Make sure you get there in Oct as the skies have been told that they MUST play ball as it is the 10th anniversary of the event.

Stay safe and clear skies

What? :icon_scratch:

:laugh2: Yes good to catch up with you as well. Spend ages looking forward to these things and then they always go too quickly. Would be great to meet up again in Oct :thumbright:

On 25/03/2018 at 21:58, Uplooker said:

Just in case @TheMightyKong gets a chance to read this tonight - unlikely, how was your round trip from Newtown Stewart to London and then up to Newcastle? Even if there were no hold ups or traffic, I am sure it was not good, rather you than me. Hope everything is AoK. This will wrangle Damian, but the lunar views through your scope  we’re beautiful, thanks for the look!

@mapstar , yes I know it was comparing apples and pears ?

Hi Ian, it was good to meet you.  The long drive on sunday was horrific.  Got back after midnight.. absolutely shattered today.   Was very pleased with the lunar views, Saw Jupiter Saturn and mars before dawn, but views seemed a bit mushy by then.  I wish I had the chance to look at some deep sky through your big dob @mapstar.  

Was really nice to meet you all, despite only having a few hours looking at stars it was fun and one of the most friendly star parties I’d been to.  Hope everyone made it home ok by now.

Archived