Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

It's still nice to be here....

John

37 minutes ago, Rob said:

15 years John... wow, time flies when your having fun!. Thank you for all you do here.

Best wishes Rob

Thanks Rob - you have even more SGL longevity than I do ! :icon_salut:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nigella Bryant said:

What a great milestone 15yrs, WOW. I'm just 2.5 lol, not even sure if I'll make 15yrs, being in my 60's, lol. Keep on going. 

You'll be absolutely fine, Nigella.  You're living in the land where time doesn't pass now :)

James

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, John said:

I've just realised that I have just passed my 15th year of membership of the Stargazers Lounge. I joined on the 28th of November 2005.

This was my 1st post :grin:

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/1422-its-nice-to-be-here/

I'd just like to say a big THANK YOU to First Light Optics, the admins and the moderators for creating and maintaining this amazing place and also to all the members here who have helped me, put up with me, replied to my posts, been polite when I've (often) been mistaken, joined in when I've been excited about something and generally made this forum the most important contribution that there has been to my enjoyment of the hobby.

Thank you very much indeed folks :icon_salut:

John

johndome.JPG.dbc7794ef868512645f77a97884d1306.JPG

Hi John,

I think others have said all the important stuff..I've followed your content, good advice and your good humour ever since I joined in 2009, and I have learned a great deal in that time, and also learned that I have a great deal more to learn yet!

I remember that my first significant sale of Astro kit was to your good self..a nice Meade AR127 L refractor ota, must be at least 10 years ago or more. .wasn't your SGL "Jahmanson" or something similar at the time? I recall how nervous I was at selling to someone who clearly knew so much more about kit than me, but fortunately the scope arrived intact with you and you were happy with it👍😊.

You have inspired many others like me to delve deeper into our great hobby John, and we share a common interest in visual astronomy, refractors of all kinds (I can forgive your dabbling with ships funnels once in a while!!😂), and a fascination with eyepieces of all kinds too.

Thank you and I hope you keep going for another 15 years..who knows what kit we will be using then??

One last thought..I love your photo at the top of the thread.. a lovely Vixen Apo and your good self.. the caption "Beauty and the Beast" sprang to my mischievous mind - but actually I prefer " The Big man with the Big heart" 👍👏:headbang::hello2:

Dave

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

Hi John,

I think others have said all the important stuff..I've followed your content, good advice and your good humour ever since I joined in 2009, and I have learned a great deal in that time, and also learned that I have a great deal more to learn yet!

I remember that my first significant sale of Astro kit was to your good self..a nice Meade AR127 L refractor ota, must be at least 10 years ago or more. .wasn't your SGL "Jahmanson" or something similar at the time? I recall how nervous I was at selling to someone who clearly knew so much more about kit than me, but fortunately the scope arrived intact with you and you were happy with it👍😊.

You have inspired many others like me to delve deeper into our great hobby John, and we share a common interest in visual astronomy, refractors of all kinds (I can forgive your dabbling with ships funnels once in a while!!😂), and a fascination with eyepieces of all kinds too.

Thank you and I hope you keep going for another 15 years..who knows what kit we will be using then??

One last thought..I love your photo at the top of the thread.. a lovely Vixen Apo and your good self.. the caption "Beauty and the Beast" sprang to my mischievous mind - but actually I prefer " The Big man with the Big heart" 👍👏:headbang::hello2:

Dave

Thanks so much Dave :icon_salut:

I did start off with the silly user name as you recall. As soon as I got a chance I changed it though !

The Bresser 127L was a great buy - a proper big refractor !

I'm not very photogenic I'm afraid but I've had the Vixen nearly as long as I've been a member here and longer than any of my other scopes so I thought it was an apt photo. Also a happy, warm evening in July last year at the Bristol AS observatory all on my own observing the lunar eclipse. Managed to get one of my few images through the scope on that occasion. Nice memories :smiley:

mooneclp160719.jpg.d2c34c6f11a0ec8abdd16ef0ea776dad.jpg

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, F15Rules said:

I love your photo at the top of the thread.. a lovely Vixen Apo and your good self.. the caption "Beauty and the Beast" sprang to my mischievous mind

Is the Vixen a bit of a beast then? :wink2:

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

In 4 days, it will be my 11th year here. I cant remember a single post of mine that was of any use to anyone. 

Take this one for example.

I'm sure you've been helpful to others Lukeskywatcher. Just asking a question that others were longing to ask is help in itself.

7 minutes ago, Nigella Bryant said:

I'm sure you've been helpful to others Lukeskywatcher. Just asking a question that others were longing to ask is help in itself.

That's true. My contribution to SGL fails in comparison. Enough about me. 

Congrats John on 15 yrs of quality posts. 

• Thanks 1

Congrats @John!

You are a cornerstone of what makes SGL a rare treasure and a wonderful resource.  Many of us are indebted to you for all your helpful, entertaining, enlightening and thoughtful posts.

Here's to the next 15!! ;)

-Niall

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/12/2020 at 22:26, John said:

Thanks very much Stu :icon_salut:

I don't know what the membership was back then - maybe 100 or so ?

I guess members like @Ant@GazOC or @russ might know - they were here before I was.

Congrats on your milestone John. I don't think we even had as many as 100 members when you joined.

Edited by russ
  • Thanks 1